Previously underwritten by Tower and now by Cigna, ASB Travel Insurance provides a comprehensive insurance policy for individuals, couples or families heading overseas for up to 365 days. You can organise your policy online if you are an ASB customer, or call the customer service team for a quote. Travel insurance is also available on two of ASB’s credit cards.
What policies does ASB Travel Insurance offer?
You can take out a policy as an individual, couple or family, with children up to 16 years of age included. Rather than nominating specific countries that you will travel to, you can choose from Worldwide; Worldwide excluding USA, Canada, Japan, Singapore and Antarctica; or Australia and South Pacific only plans. The standard excess for the Comprehensive policy is $100, although you can reduce this to $0 by paying extra.
ASB Visa Platinum Rewards or Gold credit card
If you have an ASB Visa Platinum Rewards card or an ASB Visa Gold card, you can get automatic cover when you pay for at least 50% of your return travel tickets on your card. Trips can be up to 90 days or 40 days, depending on which card you have. There are other methods of activating your credit card insurance such as using True Reward Dollars, so please check the ASB website for further information.
Benefits of ASB Travel Insurance
- Personal belongings. Get up to $2,000 for individual items, with the option to add extra cover and a maximum $20,000 per policy.
- Cancellation and changes. Up to $100,000 is covered on individual policies if you need to change or cancel your trip due to unforeseen events.
- Medical. Unlimited emergency medical expenses are covered if you are injured or fall ill while overseas.
- Rental vehicle. Get up to $2,500 to cover your rental vehicle excess if you cause damage to your vehicle or if it’s stolen.
- Personal liability. Up to $2,500,000 is covered if you cause the accidental death or injury to another person or damage or loss of property.
Additional options available on ASB Travel Insurance Policies
- You can reduce your excess to $0 by paying an extra premium.
- You can get covered for business equipment such as tools of the trade or laptops with a business extension.
- Cover up to five additional personal items to a maximum value of $5,000 each or $20,000 in total.
- Cover can be obtained for many pre-existing conditions.
ASB Travel Insurance Claims
There is no online claims form for ASB Travel Insurance. If you need to make a non-urgent claim while you are still overseas or after you return and you bought your policy after 1 April 2018, you can contact Cigna, the underwriter and administrator, by phone or email. You’ll need to provide your details, policy number and details about what you are claiming for.
If you have a medical emergency while overseas, call First Assistance, the 24/7 emergency assistance provider.
If you bought your policy before 1 April 2018, you will need to contact Tower by phone or fill in the online claim form.
Who is eligible for ASB Travel Insurance?
To be eligible for ASB Travel Insurance, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Hold a New Zealand passport or a residency visa, or be an Australian passport holder currently residing in New Zealand
- Starting and ending your trip in New Zealand
- Have access to a New Zealand bank account for claim payments
- Not travelling for medical or dental treatment
- Be fit for travel
For further clarification on eligibility requirements, please contact ASB Travel Insurance directly.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Pet insurance for older dogs and cats
Discover some funds that cover senior pets, what to look for in a policy and how you can help your furry friend feel comfortable in their twilight years.
Pet insurance with no waiting period
Getting immediate pet insurance is a little difficult. This handy guide helps you discover how long you have to wait before your pet is covered.
Desexing Your Pet
If you have a furry friend in your life, it’s essential to consider desexing. There is a range of benefits to having your pet desexed and best of all, pet insurance may cover it. Read on to learn more.
Is pet insurance worth it?
Is pet insurance worth it or a waste of money? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
Where can I travel from New Zealand in October 2021?
Here’s what you should know about travelling from New Zealand.
Best credit cards for overseas travel
Compare credit cards that offer no foreign transaction fees, complimentary insurance, Airpoints and airport lounge passes so you can find the right card to take overseas.
How much can you really make as an Uber driver?
Is signing up as an UberX driver worth it? Use the calculator and read our guide to find out how much you might expect to make.
Finder Car Insurance Consumer Survey 2020
We asked more than 2,000 Kiwis about their experiences with and thoughts on car insurance in New Zealand. This is what they said.