Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
AMI Travel Insurance Review
AMI Travel Insurance policies cover you for overseas and domestic holidays.
With over 90 years of experience providing insurance to New Zealanders, AMI offers cover for home, contents, car, business and travel. Travel insurance policies are available to Kiwis travelling internationally or domestically, with discounts for AMI members.
What policies does AMI Travel Insurance offer?
Overseas single trip
AMI’s Overseas Single Trip is for Kiwis travelling abroad and returning to New Zealand within 12 months. It provides cover for medical expenses, personal belongings, cancellations, delays, personal liability, disability, family emergencies and rental car excess. You can choose from three different excess amounts and have peace of mind that your family is taken care of should anything go wrong while on your vacation.
If you know you are going to be travelling more than two times in a year, you can take out the Annual Multi-Trip policy. This policy allows you to take as many trips as you want of a maximum duration limit, and you’ll save time and money by not having to purchase individual policies every time you book a trip. Only journeys that are at least 250km from home are covered.
Domestic travel cover is available for journeys in New Zealand with benefits for medical expenses, additional expenses and personal belongings. It comes with a $25 excess, and you can purchase additional cancellation cover if you think you need it.
Benefits of AMI Travel Insurance
- Promotion. Get 10% off your travel insurance. Terms and conditions apply.
- AMI member discount. If you have a current membership with AMI, you can take advantage of a discount on your travel insurance policy.
- Covid-19 cover. Some cover is available for certain Covid-19 scenarios.
- Emergency assistance. 24/7 emergency assistance is available so you can get help whenever you need it.
- Electronics. Up to $3,000 for laptops and $3,000 for cameras and video cameras is included in your policy.
- Activities. Recreational activities such as horse riding, bungee jumping, skydiving, abseiling, jet skiing, white-water rafting, parasailing and kayaking are automatically included.
- Motorcycles. You are covered if you are wearing a helmet and hold a valid New Zealand motorcycle license or a valid license for the country you are driving in.
- Rental car. Get up to $10,000 to cover your rental vehicle excess if you have an accident.
- Medical. Unlimited emergency overseas medical expenses are covered in case of an injury or illness.
- Hospital cover. If you are hospitalised for more than 48 hours, you can receive $75 for each night.
- Legal and liability. Get up to $10,000 cover for legal expenses if you are wrongly arrested or detained, and up to $2,500,000 for personal liability if you injure someone or damage someone’s property.
- Personal belongings. Get up to $25,000 for damage or theft of your luggage, personal belongings and travel documents.
Additional options available
- Excess. Reduce your excess by paying a higher premium.
- Winter sports. Get cover for medical expenses when you are injured skiing or snowboarding while on your winter holiday.
- Cancellation costs. Choose an amount for extra cancellation costs from $1,000 up to unlimited cover.
- Personal belongings. Increase the limit for specific named items on your policy.
AMI Travel Insurance claims
To make a claim with AMI, you’ll need to do the following:
- Go to the Claims page on the AMI website.
- Select “travel” as the type of claim you want to make, then click “Start my claim”.
- Log in with your name and policy number.
- Describe the incident that happened.
- Provide details of the expenses incurred.
- Upload supporting documentation such as medical reports, receipts and invoices.
- Enter your financial details.
- Review and finalise your claim.
If you don’t have all the required information when you are completing your claim, you can save and return within 28 days of starting. Claims are processed as quickly as possible, and you should hear from AMI within 10 days to find out if your claim is approved, declined or if more information is needed.
Who is eligible for AMI Travel Insurance?
To be eligible for AMI Travel Insurance, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a New Zealand resident or a non-resident of New Zealand travelling on Plan I (Inbound area)
- Be travelling for no more than 12 months
- Be returning to your country of residence at the end of your journey
For further clarification on whether you meet the eligibility criteria, please contact AMI to discuss your situation.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Lazy Tax Report 2021
Finder’s Lazy Tax Report found 9 out of 10 Kiwis are missing out on a better deal by sticking with the same provider.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Pet insurance for older dogs and cats
Discover some funds that cover senior pets, what to look for in a policy and how you can help your furry friend feel comfortable in their twilight years.
Pet insurance with no waiting period
Getting immediate pet insurance is a little difficult. This handy guide helps you discover how long you have to wait before your pet is covered.
Desexing Your Pet
If you have a furry friend in your life, it’s essential to consider desexing. There is a range of benefits to having your pet desexed and best of all, pet insurance may cover it. Read on to learn more.
Is pet insurance worth it?
Is pet insurance worth it or a waste of money? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
Campervan hire in Sydney | Where to book, what to know
Find your perfect home on wheels with campervan rentals in The Harbour City.
Checklist for moving to Australia
Take the headache out of migration with these checklists and have a smart, stress free move.
Bed Threads discount codes and coupons November 2022
There is no need to keep searching for your dream bedding. You’ve found it right here. Everything you need is at Bed Threads.