Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
AA Travel Insurance Review
Heading overseas? Compare AA Travel Insurance policies and find the right cover for your needs.
AA offers Travel Insurance policies for Kiwis heading overseas, including comprehensive, basic and frequent traveller cover with additional options. If you are already an AA member, you can receive a discount on your travel insurance.
What policies does AA Travel Insurance offer?
The AA Comprehensive policy provides the highest level of benefits, with the option to add on additional cover for high value items and pre-existing conditions. You can also reduce your excess by paying a higher amount upfront. It includes cover for terrorism as well as civil unrest for the Pacific Islands.
The Essentials plan offers basic coverage with benefits for personal liability, missed connections and cancellation fees.
When you travel regularly throughout the year, the Frequent Traveller policy takes away the annoyance of having to purchase separate policies. It covers all trips within a 12-month period, as long as each trip doesn’t exceed 60 days.
Benefits of AA Travel Insurance
- AA member discount. A 10% discount applies for current AA members. You must enter your membership number when requesting a quote online.
- Medical. Get cover for unlimited overseas emergency medical expenses, with cover for injury as a result of a terrorist attack up to $250,000.
- Dental. Get up to $3,000 for dental treatment as a result of an injury, and $1,000 for pain relief.
- Hospital cover. Get up to $4,000 for hospital expenses and $15,000 for a loved one to join you if you are hospitalised for a period of time.
- Search and rescue. Get up to $20,000 if you go missing and a search and rescue team is needed to find you.
- Deposits and cancellations. Get unlimited cover for cancellation costs, loss of deposit and curtailment.
- Personal liability. Get up to $2.5 million if you damage property or injure another person.
- Children. Dependent children under 21 are included when named on the policy at no additional charge.
- Recreational activities. Some sports are automatically included such as hot air ballooning, skiing and snowboarding, bungee jumping and scuba diving with qualification.
Additional options available
- Cover for pre-existing conditions
- Cover for high value items worth more than $1,500
- Private hospital care when travelling to the UK and Australia
AA Travel Insurance claims
To make a claim on your AA Travel Insurance policy, complete the following steps:
- Go to the online claims portal – you’ll find a link on the AA website.
- Enter your policy number and personal details
- Give details about what happened and what you are making a claim for
- Attach supporting documentation such as medical and police reports, invoices and receipts
- Provide your bank account details for payment, otherwise a cheque will be sent
The online claim form takes about 15-30 minutes to complete, and you can save it at any time and go back to it later. You’ll be contacted within 10 business days about the status of your claim and if any further documentation or details need to be supplied.
Who is eligible for AA Travel Insurance?
The following age restrictions apply when purchasing an AA Travel Insurance policy:
- Comprehensive. Available to travellers up to 99 years of age.
- Essentials. Available to travellers up to 70 years of age.
- Frequent Traveller. Available to travellers up to 70 years of age.
If you are unsure about whether you meet the residency requirements, please contact AA for clarification.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Save on driving costs – our top 25 tips
Keen to save money on your driving costs? Our comprehensive guide shows you how.
Community Services Card – a guide
A guide to Work and Income’s Community Services Card.
Understanding money – a young person’s guide
Our teenagers’ guide to money answers some common questions about money and finance.
Vrbo coupon codes | 7 deals available in December 2020
Experience life as a local on your next holiday and rent a vacation home directly from the owner with Vrbo.
Disability Allowance – a guide
A guide to Work and Income’s Disability Allowance. Find out who’s eligible, what it covers and how to apply.
Kiwibank Platinum Visa credit card
The Kiwibank Platinum Visa gives you an interest rate of 13.95% p.a., overseas travel insurance and a credit limit of up to $20,000.
FOREO discount codes and coupons December 2020
Treat yourself to some FOREO skincare tech today and see how much you could save with a discount code.