1Cover Travel Insurance review
Compare travel insurance policies from 1Cover and get cover for your next adventure.
1Cover Travel Insurance is the largest direct travel insurance provider in the New Zealand and Australia region and has been operating for over 15 years. It offers a flexible range of policies to suit a range of different travelling needs and 24/7 customer service whether you’re booking a policy for the first time or needing assistance while on holiday.
What policies does 1Cover Travel Insurance offer?
1. Comprehensive Overseas
1Cover’s Overseas single-trip policy includes a comprehensive range of benefits for people travelling overseas and back to New Zealand. Trips can be up to 12 months and you can choose between an excess of $100 or $200. It’s also possible to get medical only cover, if you don’t want cover for extras such as baggage or cancellation. When you request a quote online, you’ll be able to see the options for both to decide what is right for you.
This policy provides cover for trips within New Zealand. It includes fewer benefits than an Overseas policy, but does offer coverage for luggage and personal effects, cancellation fees and lost deposits, personal liability, rental vehicle and accidental death.
3. Frequent Traveller
If you take multiple trips in a year then the Frequent Traveller policy can cover you for journeys of up to 21 days, 45 days or 90 days. Your trips must be under these time frames to be eligible and you can only purchase the policy 30 days before your first trip.
4. Already Overseas
If you forgot to take out a policy before you left New Zealand, the Already Overseas policy could help. You’ll get the benefits of the comprehensive policy, but a 72-hour waiting period applies. However, there is a $200 excess.
5. Long Term
Planning to spend a year or two abroad on a Working Holiday Visa or gap year? You can take out a single trip policy for up to 12 months with the option of extending it for another year if you’re not ready to come home yet.
Senior citizens are able to purchase the Comprehensive and Domestic policies, no matter their age. You’ll likely need to present some information regarding your medical history depending on your age and those over 80 must submit a medical declaration form. Some exclusions may apply.
Benefits available on 1Cover Travel Insurance policies
- Pre-existing conditions. 35 pre-existing conditions are automatically covered.
- 24/7 emergency assistance. Get help when you need it at any time of day or night.
- Medical cover. Unlimited emergency medical assistance is available and up to $1,000 for dental.
- Credit card fraud. Get up to $5,000 for unauthorised use of your card.
- Personal liability. You’re covered for up to $5 million if you injure another person or cause damage or loss to a property.
- Rental vehicle. Your excess is covered up to $5,000 if you’re in an accident or your vehicle is stolen.
- Children. Kids under 19 are covered for free when travelling with a parent or grandparent.
- Seven-day call centre. You can purchase or change your policy any day of the week.
- Online Discount. Purchase a policy online and a 5% discount is automatically applied .
Additional options available on 1Cover Travel Insurance policies
- Rental vehicle excess. You can increase your cover from $5,000 to $6,000, $7,000 or $8,000.
- Winter sports pack. Extra benefits for a skiing or snowboarding holiday include closure cover, equipment rental, bad weather and cancellation.
- Cruise pack. Choose from extra benefits to cover weather delays, cabin confinement, formal wear, missed departure and more.
1Cover Travel Insurance claims
Submitting a claim to 1Cover involves the following steps:
- Find the online claims form on the website.
- Complete the form by filling in your policy number, personal information and details of what you’re claiming for.
- Upload any supporting documentation you have including invoices, receipts, police reports or medical reports. The claims page on the website has more information about which documents you’ll need for specific situations.
Once you’ve completed the form, someone will be in touch with you within 10 business days to either approve your claim or ask for more information or documentation. If you don’t have all the documents you need when you’re completing the form, you can attach these at a later date. You can also download a copy of the form then fill it in and send it via post if you prefer to do so.
Who is eligible for 1Cover travel insurance?
New Zealand residents who are travelling overseas and returning to New Zealand are eligible to purchase 1Cover Travel Insurance policies. If you’re already overseas then you can take out the Already Overseas cover.
Some age limits apply to 1Cover policies including the following:
- Frequent Traveller. Must be 64 years of age and younger.
- Already Overseas, Essentials and Medical Only. Must be 74 years of age and younger.
- Comprehensive and Domestic. No age limit.
Some policies like the Already Overseas policy have certain conditions such as already being overseas, so make sure to check the policy wording carefully.