Smartshares Review: Choose from 35 exchange traded funds
Invest in businesses around the world with this Kiwi investment platform.
Smartshares is an exchange traded fund provider and online investment platform focused on ethical investing, and making it easy to diversify a portfolio across a range of stocks and other assets.
This review looks at what exactly Smartshares are, how to trade them and how much it costs.
What can I invest in with Smartshares?
Smartshares lets users buy a wide range of exchange traded funds (ETFs). These are essentially bundles of stocks or other assets that trade on the NZX.
The name Smartshares refers to both the ETFs themselves, and the company through which these ETFs can be purchased.
There are eight different categories of Smartshares. Within these categories there are a number of ETFs to choose from. These categories are:
- Core Series. For investors who want to build their portfolios with a low cost range of ETFs in New Zealand and around the world. Also includes bonds and other fixed interest assets.
- New Zealand Shares. Invest in a comprehensive range of New Zealand companies.
- Australian Shares. Lets you invest in top Australian indices, as well as specific Australian sectors including property and financials.
- US Shares. Invest in US companies through New Zealand listed funds.
- International shares. Offers investors access to global markets listed on the NZX.
- Bonds and Cash. Bonds and other fixed-interest assets in New Zealand and global markets.
- ESG shares. Invest sustainably in global ESG ETFs such as emerging market equities, or global equities.
- Thematic shares. Trending sectors such as healthcare and technological innovation.
How much does it cost?
Note that the following fees and limits apply when purchasing Smartshares ETFs online, directly through Smartshares. The fees may be different if you buy them through a different stockbroker or on another online share trading platform.
A one-off establishment fee of $30 applies when you make your first Smartshares investment, the minimum initial investment is $500 and the minimum ongoing monthly investment is $50 per month.
After that, annual maintenance fees apply. These are deducted from your holdings, and vary depending on the ETF.
|Core Series||0.20% to 0.46%|
|New Zealand Shares||0.50% to 0.60%|
|Australian Shares||0.54% to 0.75%|
|International shares||0.55% to 0.59%|
|Bonds and Cash||0.20% to 0.54%|
|ESG Shares||0.34% to 0.59%|
Is Smartshares safe?
SmartShares is a member of the NZX Group (the New Zealand stock exchange). It created New Zealand’s first ETF (the NZ Top 10 Fund) in 1996.
Smartshares is supervised by the New Zealand Public Trust government organisation, the assets in its ETFs are custodied by BNP Paribas Australasia.
Because the Smartshares ETFs trade on NZX, you can purchase them through many different stockbrokers and financial advisors. To be safe, you should make sure you only buy Smartshares through regulated and accredited providers.
You can also purchase the ETFs directly through Smartshares.
How do I buy Smartshares?
You can buy Smartshares ETF from a range of stockbrokers or financial advisors, or through Smartshares itself.
To buy through Smartshares, you can apply online through the following steps.
- Go to the Smartshares website
- Go to the “invest” section and click “apply now”
- Fill out the form. This includes choosing your investments, entering your details and choosing your payment method
- Submit the form and wait for confirmation
Smartshares frequently asked questions
Compare other trading platforms
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.