Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Small personal loans
Sometimes you need a bit of extra money to see you through, which is where a small personal loan is an option.
⚠️ Warning: be cautious with short-term loans
If you're experiencing financial hardship and would like to speak to someone for free financial counselling, you can call the MoneyTalks helpline operated by FinCap on 0800 345 123. It is open from 8:00am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm Saturday. When comparing short term loans, ensure you take into consideration any fees, charges and rates you may be charged.
Alternatives to short-term loans
Consider these alternatives before applying for a payday loan:
- Use online Government resources. The Commerce Commission New Zealand website explains how loans works and what to be aware of when borrowing from a lender.
- Payment plans. Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan or receive an extension on your due date if you’re behind on payments.
- Contact your creditors. Speak with creditors about extending the due date of your payment, or working out a new payment plan that works for both of you. Seek personal loans elsewhere. Consider a small personal loan from a bank or a credit union. You may qualify for a loan with much lower interest rates than those offered by payday loan companies.
- Pay with credit card. Consider paying with your credit card to cover your emergency bills or payments. This is not a long term solution, as you’ll need to pay off the balance as soon as possible, but it’s an alternative to a short term loan with high – and immediate – interest rates.
Compare up to 4 providers
More guides on Finder
- Christmas spending report 2021
Kiwis will fork out $1.8 billion on Christmas spending this year. Find out what Kiwis will be shopping for and who will be spending the most.
- Complacent Kiwis: 9 in 10 are paying the ‘lazy tax’
Complacency when it comes to financial products is hurting the hip pocket of nearly the entire country, according to new research by Finder.
- Lazy Tax Report 2021
Finder’s Lazy Tax Report found 9 out of 10 Kiwis are missing out on a better deal by sticking with the same provider.
- Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
- Day trading : What it is and how it works
How day trading works, what to watch out for and how to pick a broker.
- What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.