It can be easy for the young ones to get bored while school’s out. As a parent or caregiver, it’s usually up to you to provide enough entertainment so the kids don’t go crazy.
Christchurch is a beautiful place to be in the spring, with many outdoor activities that can be enjoyed by the whole family as well as options for rainy days. Check out our guide to the top school holiday activities in Christchurch so you won’t run out of things to do.
Less than $50 | School holidays activities in Christchurch
More than $50 | School holidays activities in Christchurch
Free things to do in Christchurch during the school holidays
- Play at Margaret Mahy Playground, the largest playground in the southern hemisphere.
- Spend a day at New Brighton where kids can spend hours on the ocean-themed playground before taking a cooling dip at the beach Take a stroll out on the 300m long pier and watch the fisherman bringing in their catch.
- Check out the fighter jets at the Air Force Museum.
- Pack a picnic and head to Spencer Park for the day. There’s plenty to keep the kids busy with a paddling pool, an adventure playground, a small animal enclosure and a few walking trails.
- Grab your togs and head down to the paddling pool and playground at the Botanic Gardens.
- Chuck the bikes in the boot and drive to Bottle Lake Forest. Here you’ll find a range of biking trails with varying difficulties, so kids of all ages can have a go.
- Take a day to explore The Groynes with its many walks, playgrounds and fishing areas. You can download a map and do one of two orienteering courses.
- Learn about the history and culture of New Zealand by visiting the Christchurch Museum.