Rockfort Markets share trading review
Trade shares on over 100 markets internationally using a broker based here in NZ.
Rockfort Markets is an online trading broker offering access to 2 online trading platforms: MetaTrader 4 and Trader Workstation. While also known as a forex and CFD broker, you can now trade shares, options, futures and more.
The advantage of trading with Rockfort Markets for Kiwi investors is that you interact with a NZ company and get locally based support. Need help setting up an account or troubleshooting a problem? You can contact them via phone, email or live chat 5 days a week. However, it’s worth mentioning that NZX trading was not available at the time of writing.
- Access to a wide range of global markets
- Mobile trading available
- Locally based support available via phone, email or chat
- Dedicated account manager
Not so good for
- Charges an inactivity fee
- Minimum deposit required
- No access to NZX
Why invest with Rockfort Markets?
Rockfort Markets is suitable for new to experienced traders. Highlights include the following:
- Support via NZ-based account managers via email, chat or phone
- Free demo account
- Educational resources for beginner to experienced traders
What accounts are available?
Rockfort Markets offers 2 account types:
- Cash account: This account allows you to trade using the funds you have available.
- Margin account: This account provides access to margin lending.
Rockfort Markets also offers the ability to trade forex and CFDs via the MetaTrader 4 platform. There are 2 types of MetaTrader 4 accounts: Standard and Pro. Islamic accounts and increased leverage accounts are also available upon request.
Tools and features of Rockfort Markets’ share trading account
A Rockfort Markets’ share trading account gives you access to the following features and resources:
- Mobile trading app. The mobile trading app from Rockfort Markets is available for Android and iOS devices. You can use the app to trade stocks, options, forex, futures and futures options.
- News and live market data. Get access to real-time streaming data, charts, price risk analytics and market news.
- Rockfort Academy. Rockfort Markets provides access to its comprehensive trading guides for beginner and advanced traders, including weekly market insight reports.
- NZ-based support. You can access locally based phone, email or live chat support Monday to Friday from 9am to 5:30pm
Which markets can I invest in?
You can use your Rockfort Markets account to trade shares in the following countries:
- Hong Kong
- United Kingdom
- United States
Is Rockfort Markets trustworthy?
Rockfort Markets is a relatively well-known company registered in New Zealand and headquartered in Auckland. Incorporated in 2015 (and formally known as GPP Markets), the company is a registered financial services provider and holds a derivatives issuer licence from the Financial Markets Authority. All client funds with Rockfort Markets are held in segregated accounts in NZ with ANZ bank.
It is also a member of Financial Services Complaints Limited, an approved dispute resolution scheme under the Financial Service Provider (Registration and Dispute Resolution) Act 2008.
It’s key to remember that there is risk involved in investing. It is possible to lose some or all of the money you invest.
What are Rockfort Markets’ fees?
Rockfort Markets lists pricing information for each market. Here are a few examples of the share pricing information available on its website:
|Volume||Fees (the greater of)|
|Australian shares||Any volume||AUD$18.95 per trade or 0.189%|
|Japan shares||Any volume||JPY¥240 per trade or 0.25%|
Rockfort Markets also lists the following information about fees:
- Deposit and withdrawal fees – Withdrawals in NZ dollars to an NZ bank have no fee. Withdrawals to other currencies or overseas banks incur a US$15 fee per transaction.
- Inactivity fee – $20 per month payable when there has been no activity for more than 6 months and the account balance is below $100.
Other costs to be aware of include the following:
- Rollover interest
- Commissions on trades (where applicable)
- Interest on client funds held
If you have questions about more pricing information on specific contracts or markets, the website says to contact the Rockfort Markets’ support team. It’s important to read the terms and conditions as well as the product disclosure statement (PDS), both of which are available on the Rockfort Markets’ website.
Experiences from other Rockfort Markets users
Rockfort Markets scores 3.2 out of 5 based on 1 review and is rated average on Trustpilot.
How do I sign up?
You can register for a Rockfort Markets trading account by completing the following steps:
- Go to the Rockford Markets website
- Select which platform you want to trade with
- Enter your contact details and information
- Verify any additional information required
- Wait for approval
- Start trading
How do I contact Rockfort Markets’ support?
Need help with your account? You can contact the Rockfort Markets account manager support team Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:30pm via the following methods:
- Live chat
Rockfort Markets is a relatively new addition to the Kiwi online share trading sector. This means you’ll have to do some extra digging to find certain information, such as information on fees and available markets. NZX trading is also not available at the time of writing. However, it offers an impressive array of professional tools for online trading, access to a wide range of international markets and has locally based support available via phone, email or live chat.
Is Rockfort Markets the right provider for you? To find out, compare it with other online share trading platforms to learn about the trading features, value and other platform aspects that suit your needs best.