Press Release

For immediate release

1 in 10 Kiwis don’t lock their doors

        • 12% of kiwis fail to lock their doors as a security measure
        • 64% have house and contents insurance
        • Simple ways to protect your home against theft

14 October 2020, New ZealandThousands of Kiwis may be putting themselves at increased risk of being burgled according to new research by Finder, a financial research site recently launched in New Zealand.

A nationally representative Finder survey of 2,001 New Zealanders aged 18 and above revealed that approximately 88% of Kiwis lock their doors as a security measure, leaving 12% who don’t.

When extrapolated to the population, that’s equivalent to 218,880 households not taking necessary safety precautions and leaving themselves vulnerable to break-ins.

The second most commonly used home protection is house and contents insurance with 64% of Kiwi households having an insurance policy, followed by having locks on windows (52%).

Kevin McHugh, Finder’s publisher in New Zealand, urged Kiwis not to become complacent.

“While it’s good to see that most Kiwis are taking the right measures to keep their home secure, a worrying number of people continue to put themselves at risk.

“Simple things like failing to lock your front door at night make you an easy target for burglars.

“We’re about to come into the holiday period where we tend to see a spike in burglaries each year, especially throughout January.

“It’s therefore important to be extra cautious right now– even small measures like locking your doors and windows at night, or installing a sensor light can make a big difference,” McHugh said.

According to New Zealand Police data, there were approximately 13,090 burglaries in New Zealand between December 2019–January 2020 (it should be noted that this figure is inclusive of all property types).

McHugh said that house and contents insurance is another way Kiwis can protect themselves against theft.

“Unfortunately, insurance can’t stop someone from breaking into your home. But what it can do is cover you for any losses incurred in the event that your home is burgled.

“House insurance will cover you for any structural damage to your property, along with any items that are permanently attached to your home like windows and doors.

“On the other hand, contents cover your personal items. This includes things like furniture, electronics and jewellery.

“It’s up to you whether you purchase house and contents separately, or bundle them

together to boost your level of cover and potentially save money.

“When taking out a policy, you’ll need to select an amount you want to be covered up to, also referred to as your sum insured.

“This means that if you want to be completely covered, you’ll need to choose an amount that would enable you to replace everything.

What home protection measures to you have/use?
Door locks88%
House and contents insurance64%
Window locks52%
Locked garage (with parked car)48%
Locked garage (no car)24%
Contents only insurance18%
Video system/CCTV15%
Guard dog14%
House only insurance12%
None of the above3%

Source: Finder New Zealand survey of 2,001 respondents, participants asked
to tick all that apply

Simple ways to protect your home against theft:

  • Lock windows and doors. This is important, especially at night and when you go out. If you want to keep your home ventilated, make sure to lock windows open by no more than an inch or so, or only open windows that are inaccessible from outside.
  • Get to know your neighbours. They can collect your mail and keep an eye on things and if you go away over the holidays– and vice versa.
  • Keep your garden maintained. Trim back bushes or branches that obscure your front door or give places for thieves to hide.
  • Give the illusion that someone is home at all times. Automatic lights and a radio set on a timer are a useful way to achieve this.


For further information


The information in this release is accurate as of the date published, but rates, fees and other product features may have changed. Please see updated product information on's review pages for the current correct values.

About Finder

Finder is a global comparison site, now available in New Zealand. Each month, 90,000 consumers turn to Finder to save money and time, and to make important life choices. In New Zealand we compare credit cards, mortgages, travel insurance, shopping deals and more.

Our free service is 100% independently-owned by three Australians: Fred Schebesta, Frank Restuccia and Jeremy Cabral. Since launching in 2006, Finder has continued to expand and launch around the globe, with offices in Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Poland and the Philippines. For further information visit

Go to site