Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
NZCU Baywide Personal Loans
Get a choice of unsecured and secured personal loans, including loans for vehicle finance and debt consolidation, when you apply at the NZ-owned financial cooperative, NZCU Baywide.
If you’re looking for an alternative to borrowing from a bank you should consider applying for a personal loan at NZCU Baywide, a registered credit union. The cooperative offers loans from $2,000 to $50,000 and you can choose to secure your loan to reduce interest charges.
The lender started out as the Whakatu Freezing Works Employee’s Credit Union and expanded over time to become NZCU Baywide, providing personal financial products to customers all over New Zealand.
Types of personal loans from NZCU
NZCU Baywide is not a bank but an independent cooperative that offers an entire range of personal loans. Loans you can apply for include:
- Unsecured personal loan. At NZCU Baywide you can borrow without the requirement to post security, with loans from as little as $2,000 on offer. Early repayment is free of charge, so you can save on interest if you can repay your loan early. Your interest rate will be set at a level appropriate for your personal circumstances.
- Secured personal loan. Alternatively, apply for a secured loan at NZCU Baywide which can help you obtain a larger loan amount, while also reducing your interest rate. You can pledge an asset such as a car or a boat as security.
- Car loan. Finance your new or used car purchase with a loan from NZCU Baywide. You have a choice of securing your car loan, or you can choose to apply for a loan which is unsecured.
- Debt consolidation loan. You may be able to consolidate multiple existing loans with high interest rates into a single loan via NZCU Baywide. Debt consolidation can lead to savings on interest charges in the long run, and a single loan is easier to manage and repay than multiple loans.
- Personal overdraft. Apply for an overdraft with NZCU Baywide and access up to $2,000 instantly. You only pay interest on the amount you are overdrawn by and you can easily and quickly access your funds with a Mastercard.
Features of an NZCU Baywide personal loan
Personal loans at NZCU Baywide work just as you would expect them to and have the following key features:
- Flexible terms. Choose the term of your loan, subject to loan size and eligibility criteria. You can repay your loan within as little as six months, or your loan can be repaid over as long as 60 months.
- Early repayment. You have the option of increasing the repayments you are making, making a large once-off payment or repaying your entire loan early. Additional payments will not attract a fee or charge, and you will save interest on your outstanding balance.
- Same-day funds. If you have an account with NZCU you can often receive the funds you were approved for on the same day. If your account is elsewhere you should receive your funds the next business day.
- Secured or unsecured. NZCU Baywide will consider you for a loan even if you hold no assets but if you have an asset to offer as security for your loan you may qualify for a reduced interest rate on the loan.
What other products does NZCU Baywide offer?
The co-operative offers a number of savings and investment products, including:
- Savings accounts. There are a few different savings options at NZCU, each suited to a different requirement. NZCU Baywide accounts offer a solid interest rate too.
- Term deposits. If you can commit your savings to a term deposit you can get a higher interest rate on your savings. The longer the term of your deposit, the higher the interest rate.
- KiwiSaver. NZCU Baywide can assist you with a KiwiSaver account, a great way to save for retirement as a KiwiSaver account can lead to top-ups thanks to government and employer contributions.
How to apply for a personal loan from NZCU Baywide
Apply for a personal loan at NZCU Baywide just as you would at a bank. Once you’ve compared your borrowing options click the green “Go to Site” button to start the application.
- Minimum age. You must be aged 18 or over.
- Residency. To apply you must be a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident of New Zealand.
- Income requirement. There is no minimum income requirement but you must be earning a regular income to apply.
- Credit record. You can apply if your credit history is in good standing.
Necessary documents and information
- Proof of identification. You must provide a New Zealand driver licence which is current and valid.
- Income details. The application form will require details of your current income, and your source of income.
- Existing debt and expenses. NZCU Baywide will request details of your existing debts as well as your regular outgoings when you apply.
More guides on Finder
Booster KiwiSaver review
Booster offers 15 different KiwiSaver funds for you to choose from.
QuayStreet KiwiSaver review
QuayStreet offers 10 KiwiSaver funds for you to choose from.
kōura Wealth KiwiSaver
kōura Wealth offers personalised KiwiSaver plans to help you meet your long-term savings goals.
1 in 4 Kiwis are planning to upskill over the next year
Kiwis are broadening their skill set to boost their employability according to Finder, a financial research and comparison site.
Your PIR tax rate explained
A guide to PIR tax rates for KiwiSaver and why it’s important to be on the correct rate.
How to get a tax refund
Forget about using a tax agent. The IRD makes finding out if you have a tax refund extremely easy so you get the maximum payout possible.
Investing – your options explored
Your simple guide to the different types of investments, how they work, and how to choose the right investments for your needs.
Passive income ideas for New Zealand investors
Looking for an easy way to earn money while you sleep? Investing in shares, peer-to-peer lending and renting out property can all offer the returns you desire.
1 in 10 Kiwis don’t lock their doors
Thousands of Kiwis may be putting themselves at increased risk of being burgled according to new research by Finder. A recent survey of 2,001 respondents found that 1 in 10 Kiwis don’t lock their door
The Co-operative Bank Fair Rate credit card
Transfer an existing balance and pay 0% p.a. for 12 months, plus enjoy a low interest rate and account fee with The Co-operative Fair Rate card.