Kiwibank Personal Loans
A ‘truly Kiwi bank’, Kiwibank offers personal loans to New Zealanders for up to 7 years with fixed interest rates.
Kiwibank has been providing banking services to New Zealanders since 2002, and started out operating through PostShops throughout the country. Fast forward almost 20 years later and Kiwibank has its own branches and offers financial services to both personal and business customers.
Having a parent company that is a state-owned group, all profits stay right here in New Zealand and products are designed to meet the needs of Kiwis.
If you’re wanting to take out a personal loan, find out more about Kiwibank has to offer.
13.95% - 18.95%
Interest Rate (p.a.)
Minimum Credit Score
|Product Name||Kiwibank Personal Loan|
|Interest Rate (p.a.)||13.95% - 18.95%|
|Min. Loan Amount||$2,000|
|Loan Term||6 months to 7 years|
|Turnaround Time||Once you have submitted your application, you can expect for someone to get back to you within 24 hours. This excludes Sundays and in some cases, it may take a little longer.|
Features and benefits of a Kiwibank loan
- Choose your loan term. Kiwibank personal loans can be taken out for a period of between 6 months and 7 years, so you can choose to make higher repayments over a shorter time or lower repayments over a longer time.
- Fixed interest rate. With a fixed interest rate and determined repayment amounts, there won’t be any surprises.
- No maximum limit. Kiwibank only sets its minimum limit at $2,000, so you may be able to borrow more than other lenders allow if you meet the lending criteria.
- Flexible payments. You can set your repayment schedule to tie in with your payday, whether that’s weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
- Consolidate your debt. If you have other debts such as vehicle finance, hire purchases or credit cards, you can consolidate these together into one repayment.
- Loan calculator. Kiwibank provides a loan calculator on its website so you can work out what your repayments will be for various loan terms and understand how much interest you will need to pay.
- Additional payments. Make additional payments at any time during your loan term to pay it off faster.
- Fast payment. Once approved, it’s possible to get the funds in your account on the next business day.
- Joint applications. You can share the responsibility and repayment obligations with a friend, family member or partner.
Types of loans Kiwibank offers
Kiwibank has one standard personal loan that can be used for anything from debt consolidation to vehicle finance to home renovations. However, different interest rates apply depending on how much you borrow, if you have a home loan with Kiwibank or if you are a Graduate Pack customer.
If you borrow between $2,000 and $9,999, your interest rate will be 18.95%, but if you borrow $10,000 or more your interest rate will be 16.95%. Kiwibank home loan and Graduate Pack customers are offered a lower interest rate of 13.95% for a personal loan.
How to apply for a loan from Kiwibank
To decide if a Kiwibank personal loan is right for you, make sure to weigh up the rates and terms with other comparable lenders and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements below. If you’re ready to start your application, you can visit a branch, call 0800 549 454 or head straight to the Kiwibank website to apply online.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a stable income
- Be a NZ citizen or permanent resident
Information and documentation
When you apply, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Identification – either your New Zealand driver’s licence or your passport
- Your income details and employment information
- Your rent or mortgage payments
- Details about any money you currently owe including credit cards, loans and overdrafts
- Your email address
Once you have submitted your application, you can expect for someone to get back to you within 24 hours. This excludes Sundays and in some cases, it may take a little longer.
What other products does Kiwibank offer?
- Accounts. Transactional and savings accounts with special options for kids, students and graduates.
- Credit cards. Earn Air New Zealand Airpoints or opt for a low interest-rate card with up to 55 interest free days on purchases.
- Home loans. Mortgage options to suit first home buyers, builders and property investors.
- Investments. Earn interest by putting your savings into a term deposit or managed fund.
- Insurance. Kiwibank has insurance policies for house, contents, car, and life and living.