Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Gem personal loans
Apply for a Gem personal loan and benefit from a personalised interest rate with terms that range from six months to seven years.
Updated . What changed?
Gem, formerly known as GE Money, offers a choice of weekly, fortnightly or monthly repayments. Interest rates are fixed so you know what your repayments will be for the life of your personal loan, and the interest rate you receive is based on your individual financial situation. If you’re looking to borrow more than $20,000 and have security, you can take out a low rate personal loan with a fixed interest rate of 9.95% p.a.
Read on to find out more about Gem personal loans and how you can apply.
Gem personal loans
Types of personal loans from Gem
Whether you are looking for a secured or unsecured personal loan, a loan for debt consolidation or home renovations, Gem has the following options:
- Unsecured personal loan. Gem offers unsecured loans from $2,000 with interest rates between 12.99% - 24.99%. Gem will set your interest rate according to your credit history, your loan amount and your ability to repay. Most applicants will get a decision the same day.
- Secured personal loan. As an alternative to an unsecured personal loan, you can get a loan secured by a personal asset. A secured loan may offer better lending terms, and Gem may apply less strict criteria when considering your creditworthiness.
- Low rate personal loan. Enjoy an interest rate of 9.95% for the life of your loan when you borrow over $20,000. You must have an asset to use as security for this type of loan.
- Car loan. You can borrow a lump sum of $6,000 or more to buy a new car. Just apply for a personal loan from Gem as usual and specify that you are applying for a loan to buy a car. Your new vehicle must be less than 20 years old and can be used as security against the loan.
- Debt consolidation. If you are currently repaying a loan or any number of loans at a higher interest rate, Gem may be able to offer you a debt consolidation loan with a lower interest rate, saving you money in the long run.
- Travel loan. A travel loan can be used to book that dream holiday now and pay the cost off over time.
- Home renovation loan. With a home renovation loan you can borrow from $2,000 to renovate your bathroom or kitchen, or to do a complete remodel.
- Wedding loan. If you need some extra funds to help with the costs of your big day, you can take out a Gem personal loan to pay for your wedding dress, venue or catering.
Features of a Gem personal loan
- Flexible loan terms. Gem offers flexibility both in terms of payment frequency and the length of your loan. Loans can be as short as 6 months or as long as 7 years. You can choose to make weekly, fortnightly and monthly instalments to suit your pay schedule.
- Choice of secured or unsecured loans. You can borrow from Gem if you have no assets to offer as security, but you may be able to get better loan terms if you can pledge an asset as security for your loan.
- Tailored interest rates. Gem tailors the interest rate for your loan to your personal circumstances. If you are a low credit risk, you may get a lower rate.
- Fixed repayments. Your loan agreement features a fixed interest rate, so even if interest rates go up, your regular instalment will stay the same.
- No early repayment penalty. If you decide to pay your Gem personal loan off sooner, you won’t be penalised with early repayment fees.
How much does a Gem personal loan cost?
When you are approved for a Gem personal loan you will be given an interest rate of between 12.99% - 24.99% p.a. If you’re taking out a car loan, rates range from 9.99% to 19.99%.
By making extra lump sum payments or increasing your minimum repayment amount, you can reduce the amount of interest that you need to pay and your loan term. You can use the calculator on the Gem website to find out how much you can save by paying an extra $25, $50 or $100 each month.
An establishment fee of $240 applies to all new loans.
What other products does Gem offer?
Gem also offers the following personal financial products:
- Credit cards. Enjoy an extended interest-free repayment period on select transactions and many other features and benefits with a Gem Visa credit card.
- Insurance. Gem offers repayment protection insurance that can cover you if you are unable to repay your personal loan due to unexpected events.
How to apply for a Gem personal loan
Though Gem offers a flexible personal loan that is suited to a range of requirements, you should always compare your options before you apply. Once you’re ready to apply for a Gem personal loan, head to the website and click on ‘Apply Now’.
- Minimum age. You can apply if you are over 18 years in age.
- Residency. You must be a citizen permanent resident of New Zealand.
- Income requirement. Gem does not require a minimum income level, but you must have a stable income.
- Credit history. A credit record that shows that you reliably repay your debts will increase your chances of successfully applying.
Necessary documents and information
- ID requirement. Applicants who are new to Gem need to supply a passport, driver’s licence or firearms license.
- Evidence of income. You will need to provide a bank statement, a payslip or an individual tax return as evidence of your income.
- Debts and outgoings. The application form requests details of your current debts and your regular expenses.
Compare alternative personal loans in New Zealand
Read more on this topic
Max Loans: From personal to car loans, and more Rather than applying to different lenders to find the right loan, Max Loans does all the hard work for you.
Pioneer Finance: Secured loans for personal, car, business use and more Borrow up to $100,000 with a Pioneer Finance loan and repay over a loan term of up to 7 years.
Loan Spot Personal Loans Find out how you can get the best loan agreement for your circumstances with a Loan Spot personal loan.
Teensy Loans Review Teensy personal loans allow you to borrow up to $5,000. Cash and payday loans are also available.
Oxford Finance: Vehicle, Personal and Business Loans If you’re looking for a personal, vehicle or business loan, Oxford Finance provides simple and affordable finance solutions.
ANZ personal loans With the ability to borrow up to $40,000 for a loan term of up to 7 years, ANZ personal loans are worth considering for debt consolidation, vehicle finance or a dream holiday.
BNZ Personal Loans If you’re an existing BNZ customer, a BNZ personal loan gives you flexibility when it comes to managing your finances.
Kiwibank Personal Loans When you take out a Kiwibank personal loan, all profits stay in New Zealand. Find out more about interest rates, loan terms and features.
Nectar Personal Loan Review Find out how you can get instant approval and funds in your account the same day with an unsecured Nectar personal loan.
Pronto Finance Personal Loan Review If you're approved for a loan, you could be paid in as little as nine minutes.