Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Better® loans review
Don’t waste time trying to find the right loan for your finance needs. Let Better® do the legwork for you.
Better believes that better finance deals are a result of being different to other providers. That’s why it doesn’t charge application or early repayment fees and finds customers the sharpest rate possible for a personal loan.
Rather than lending money directly, Better acts as a broker to match Kiwis with the best loan structure to suit their needs. This means evaluating your creditworthiness and financial situation to work out what loan product from one of its trusted lenders will save you the most money and offer the best terms.
Based in Christchurch, Better offers loans to New Zealanders around the country with a two minute online application and digital approval process.
Features and benefits of a loan from Better
- Loan amount. Borrow from $3,000 to $250,000 for a variety of reasons.
- Loan term. You can take out a loan for a period between 12 months and 60 months.
- Interest rate. Interest rates range from 7.95% - 19.95% p.a. The rate you receive is based on your credit history and current financial situation.
- Leave the legwork to someone else. Rather than spending time researching and comparing loans from different providers, Better finds the right lending structure for your needs.
- Trusted lenders. Better works with a variety of trusted lenders in New Zealand and can easily match you with the one that will offer the best deal for your finance. Lenders include NZCU South, Marac, Heartland Bank, Avanti Finance, Oxford Finance, Latitude, UDC and Community Financial Services.
- Fast approval and payout. Better is able to approve loans within two hours and can pay the funds into your account on the same day if your documents are signed before 12pm.
- Flexible repayments. You decide when you want to make your repayments based on your budget and when you receive your income. You can choose to set up your payment schedule weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
- Ongoing support. Better is available to answer any questions or concern you have before and after you apply for a loan.
- Responsible lending. Better is committed to responsible lending and will work with you to ensure that your loan comfortably fits in with your budget.
- Self employed lending. If you are self employed, you can apply for a loan through Better.
How much does the loan cost?
A Better loan comes with an interest rate of between 7.95% - 19.95% p.a.. The rate that you get is calculated on a number of factors including how much you are borrowing, security, credit history and financials.
There may be additional charges and fees depending on the type of loan and the lender that your loan is sourced through.
How to apply for a loan from Better
To start your application, head to the Better website and click on ‘Apply Now’. First, check that you meet the eligibility requirements and have the right documents on hand.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Have a regular income of at least $400 a week
Information and documentation
While completing the online application form you will be required to fill in how much you want to borrow, what you want the loan for, your employment details , income, assets and debt information.
You will also need to supply:
- A valid photo ID
- Bank statements for the last three months
Compare alternative personal loans
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Property for Industry shares (PFI)
Want to buy PFI shares on the NZX but don’t know how? Find out what to do here.
Guarda Wallet – 2021 review
Learn more about the Guarda cryptocurrency wallet and find out how it works.
Binance vs Coinbase: Which is best for you?
Binance and Coinbase are two titans of cryptocurrency – let’s see how the two stack up and find out which suits your needs.
Finance Bloom business loan review
Broker Finance Bloom can help you get a secured or unsecured loan to help your business bloom.
First Credit Union review
Review the loan options at First Credit Union, a non-bank lender offering personal loans, debt consolidation, car and home loans.
Kiwi Car Loans review
Borrow up to $500,000 for your new vehicle, caravan, boat or motorcycle with a secured or unsecured finance from Kiwi Car Loans.
ScotPac business finance review
Access business, trade or invoice finance for businesses of all sizes from ScotPac.
Kiwibank Low Rate Visa review
Take advantage of one of the lowest interest rates on the market with the Kiwibank Low Rate Visa.
Motor Vehicle Finance car loan
Get the best rate for your circumstances with a car loan from Motor Vehicle Finance. Answers within two hours.
Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Standard Visa Review
With a faster way to earn travel rewards and opportunity to earn complimentary lounge vouchers, the Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Standard Visa is worth considering.