Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Save My Bacon loans review
Save My Bacon provides payday and medium term loans for Kiwis who need same-day cash, even if they have a low credit score.
Save My Bacon is a New Zealand lender offering loans from $2,000 to $5,000.
The provider aims to give financially responsible Kiwis access to loans by assessing their entire financial history, not just their credit score.
With Save My Bacon, you can receive your funds the same day you apply, as long as you apply during business hours. They have a flexible repayment system that allows you to pay back your loan early so you can save on interest. Read on to find out if a Save My Bacon payday loan is right for you.
⚠️ Warning: Be cautious with short-term loans
If you're experiencing financial hardship and would like to speak to someone for free financial counselling, you can call the MoneyTalks helpline operated by FinCap on 0800 345 123. It is open from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, and 10am to 2pm Saturday. When comparing short-term loans, ensure you take into consideration any fees, charges and rates you may be charged.
Alternatives to short-term loans
Consider these alternatives before applying for a payday loan:
- Use online Government resources. The Commerce Commission New Zealand website explains how loans work and what to be aware of when borrowing from a lender.
- Payment plans. Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan or receive an extension on your due date if you’re behind on payments.
- Contact your creditors. Speak with creditors about extending the due date of your payment, or working out a new payment plan that works for both of you. Seek personal loans elsewhere. Consider a small personal loan from a bank or a credit union. You may qualify for a loan with much lower interest rates than those offered by payday loan companies.
- Pay with credit card. Consider paying with your credit card to cover your emergency bills or payments. This is not a long-term solution, as you’ll need to pay off the balance as soon as possible, but it’s an alternative to a short-term loan with high – and immediate – interest rates.
Types of loans from Save My Bacon
Save My Bacon Flex Loan
- 12 - 36 months
- Daily interest rate of 0.1368%
- Monthly interest rate of 4.1625%
- Annual interest of 49.95%
Compare loans on offer from Save My Bacon
Features of a loan from Save My Bacon
Save My Bacon offers flexible loans to help you with unexpected expenses.
- Flexible repayment. You can repay the loan early and save interest.
- Same-day funds. If you apply on a business day, your loan will be transferred to your bank account the same day. When your funds will be available depends on your bank’s processing time.
- Low credit options. Having a low credit score will not disqualify you from being approved for a loan as Save My Bacon assesses your entire financial history to determine your eligibility.
How much will it cost you to borrow from Save My Bacon?
Save My Bacon loans have an annual interest rate of 49.95%. Save My Bacon charges a $125 establishment fee for all new clients and a $4 per month account maintenance fee every 30 days.
The following additional fees may apply:
- Default fee – $30
- Debt collection fee – $40
Are Save My Bacon loans safe?
Save My Bacon is registered with the New Zealand Financial Service Providers Register and Financial Dispute Resolution Service and abides by the Responsible Lenders Code. Save My Bacon aims to keep all your information private and protected through the use of encrypted transport layer security.
How to apply for a loan from Save My Bacon
Applying involves the following steps:
- Fill out the online application.
- Upload three months worth of bank statements, photo ID, contact details, bank account details and employment information.
- Save My Bacon will verify your personal and credit information.
- Sign loan documents online.
- Wait for approval.
- Receive funds within one business day.
To be eligible for a loan from Save My Bacon you need to:
- Be a New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or possess a valid work visa.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have an active bank account.
- Have income electronically transferred into your bank account regularly.
- Earn at least $400 per week.
- Have an email account and mobile phone.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Finance Bloom secured personal loan review
Finance Bloom secured personal loan review. Find out about rates, features and more.
Mint Finance business loans
Need to purchase equipment, manage cashflow or expand your business? Borrow up to $2,000,000 with a loan from Mint Finance.
Motor Vehicle Finance car loan
Get the best rate for your circumstances with a car loan from Motor Vehicle Finance. Answers within two hours.
Simplify Car Finance Review: Low-Interest Loans
Borrow up to $500,000 with a secured car loan from Simplify, and get help finding the best deal for your preferred vehicle .
Harmoney Business Loans Review
Harmoney business loans can help take the stress out of borrowing. Apply online 24-hours-a-day for amounts from $2,000 to $70,000
The complete guide to mortgage refinancing
Finder NZ’s comprehensive guide to refinancing your mortgage. Learn the ins and outs of refinancing and get a better loan.
Stadium Finance secured vehicle loan review
With interest rates as low as 7.95% and loans starting from $3,000, see if a Stadium Finance car loan is right for you.
CarFinance2U Car Loan Review
With access to 10 lenders broker CarFinance2U can find the best deal for your vehicle finance, and give loan approval within half an hour.
Commercial property loans
Need a commercial property loan but don’t know where to start? Our comprehensive guide to commercial property loans can help.
Swoosh Finance Secured Car Loan Review
Swoosh Finance offers loans with same-day approval and flexible, high loan amounts for eligible applicants.