Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare a range of short-term loan lenders and learn more about the options available to borrowers.
⚠️ Warning: be cautious with short-term loans
If you're experiencing financial hardship and would like to speak to someone for free financial counselling, you can call the MoneyTalks helpline operated by FinCap on 0800 345 123. It is open from 8:00am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm Saturday. When comparing short term loans, ensure you take into consideration any fees, charges and rates you may be charged.
Alternatives to short-term loans
Consider these alternatives before applying for a payday loan:
- Use online Government resources. The Commerce Commission New Zealand website explains how loans works and what to be aware of when borrowing from a lender.
- Payment plans. Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan or receive an extension on your due date if you’re behind on payments.
- Contact your creditors. Speak with creditors about extending the due date of your payment, or working out a new payment plan that works for both of you. Seek personal loans elsewhere. Consider a small personal loan from a bank or a credit union. You may qualify for a loan with much lower interest rates than those offered by payday loan companies.
- Pay with credit card. Consider paying with your credit card to cover your emergency bills or payments. This is not a long term solution, as you’ll need to pay off the balance as soon as possible, but it’s an alternative to a short term loan with high – and immediate – interest rates.
Compare up to 4 providers
Read more on this topic
- Payday loans in Auckland
We look at payday loans available in Auckland, including which lenders are based here, alternatives to payday lenders.
- Payday loans for single parents
Single parents often do it tough. If you are running low on cash and need to pay for things such as food, school items or even transport, a payday loan might be able to help you out of a bad situation.
- $1,000 cash loans
Don’t stress if you need $1,000 cash urgently. Consider applying for a loan from a payday lender for a fast financial solution.
- Urgent cash loans
How to find fast access to finance when you need it the most.
- Car repair loans
Your guide to the finance options available when you need some extra funds to repair your car.
- Low-income loans
Need to borrow money but you’re on a low income? There are lenders that will consider you. Find out what your options are and how much you need to earn to be eligible for a low-income loan.
- Personal loans vs payday loans
Find out the difference between personal loans and short term payday loans to see which will be best for you.
- Can you repay your payday loan early?
Why not repay your payday loan early if you can? Find out which lenders let you close your loan early without charging you a penalty or fee.
- Loans for bankrupts
If you have declared bankruptcy and need a loan, there are options available.
- $1,500 loans you can apply for
If you only need to borrow a small amount of money, up to $1,500, then there are a range of loan options you can consider. Compare lenders no matter what your credit history and see how to get your application over the line.