Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Pathfinder KiwiSaver review
A KiwiSaver scheme with a focus on ethical investing.
Pathfinder is a KiwiSaver provider that enables its clients to invest their savings into a variety of plans for better returns. Compared to other KiwiSaver providers, Pathfinder has a focus on rating all companies it invests in against environmental, social and governance (ESG) metrics with the aim of building a more sustainable future.
Pathfinder also mandates that 20% of its management fees go to a charity of the scheme holder’s choice.
Pathfinder (formerly CareSaver) is an ethical KiwiSaver scheme with a strong commitment to financial investments that support social good. The Pathfinder scheme itself is managed by Pathfinder Asset Management, which has nearly a decade’s worth of experience in ethical investments.
What is ethical investing?
Ethical investing involves investing in companies that follow best ESG practices. Pathfinder believes that investing in companies that act ethically ultimately means a better outcome for everyone.
As part of their ethical investment policy, Pathfinder actively avoids companies that harm the environment — such as those involved with tobacco, animal testing, factory farming, fossil fuels and gambling. By investing instead in corporations that contribute to a more sustainable future, Pathfinder believes that they can generate better long-term returns, influence corporate behaviour and promote positive change.
Pathfinder KiwiSaver fund types and performance
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
- Growth Fund: The Growth Fund offers medium-to-high returns by taking on a higher risk focus. An investment time frame of more than 10 years is suggested. It has a higher than usual exposure (80%) to growth assets like stocks and a 20% exposure to income assets. As of April 2021, this fund has had returns of 18.69% since inception (July 2019).
- Balanced Fund: For medium returns and risk, the Balanced Fund may be best for investors with a time frame of 5+ years. It has a 60/40 allocation to higher-return growth assets and lower-risk income assets respectively. As of April 2021, this fund has resulted in returns of 11.60% since inception (July 2019).
- Conservative Fund: The Conservative Fund is designed for investors with a short-to-medium time frame of up to 3+ years, who are comfortable with attaining modest returns for limited risk. This Pathfinder fund primarily invests in stable income assets with an 80/20 allocation, where just 20% of the fund is invested in higher-risk growth assets. As of April 2021, the Conservative Fund has produced returns of 5.74% since inception (July 2019).
Since all three funds were initiated in July 2019, you should take fund performance with a pinch of salt as the limited time frame might not accurately indicate the true potential of the fund. Similarly, past performance is neither representative nor a guarantee of future returns.
Pathfinder KiwiSaver fees
Pathfinder charges a few types of fees that you should be mindful of. Here’s what you may expect to be charged if you join Pathfinder:
- Total annual fund charges. Riskier funds incur greater annual management and administration fees. Annual management and administration fees are as follows:
- Growth Fund – 1.29%
- Balanced Fund – 1.14%
- Conservative Fund – 0.84%
- Annual administration fees. This stands at $27 per year . The administration fee is charged for any costs and expenses associated with the administration and registry costs. If your fund balance is lower than $1,000, or you are a minor, however, you will not be charged this fee. Minors also don’t get charged this fee.
Do take note that Pathfinder fund fees may differ across account types and the amount you have invested in your KiwiSaver. Always check beforehand to get an accurate gauge of how much you can expect to pay for your Pathfinder KiwiSaver fund.
How do I join Pathfinder?
The application process for Pathfinder is simple and can be done completely online as long as you meet the eligibility criteria and have the necessary documents at hand. The entire application should only take a few minutes, and you do not have to contact your current KiwiSaver provider if you are switching to Pathfinder.
In order to qualify for the Pathfinder scheme, you must be:
- A permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand
People of any age can join the Pathfinder KiwiSaver Scheme. However, those aged 18 or under must have an application signed by their parent or guardian.
You will need to have your IRD number and either an NZ driver licence or NZ passport.
Pathfinder offers three KiwiSaver funds to suit different investment preferences. What’s more, each of these funds allows you to grow your wealth in a sustainable, responsible manner. Pick the fund that best meets your financial needs and sign up easily online.
More guides on Finder
How to invest in cryptocurrency
Learn how to get started investing in cryptocurrency, the methods available to you, and what to keep in mind before making your first purchase.
How to buy ARK Invest ETFs
If you want to invest in ARK Invest ETFs, we’ll show you how in this simple guide.
Finance Bloom business loan review
Broker Finance Bloom can help you get a secured or unsecured loan to help your business bloom.
Summer KiwiSaver review
With 10 different Kiwisaver funds for you to create your own portfolio, Summer offers plenty of choices.
Milford KiwiSaver scheme review
Milford offers actively-managed, socially responsible KiwiSaver funds for a range of different risk profiles and a proven track record of strong returns.
Aon KiwiSaver scheme review
Aon offers 13 KiwiSaver funds of varying risk levels for you to choose from.
BNZ KiwiSaver scheme review
BNZ offers six KiwiSaver funds for different risk profiles, including a unique First Home Buyer Fund.
ANZ KiwiSaver scheme review
ANZ offers six KiwiSaver plans and a handy Lifetime Option for investors.
Booster KiwiSaver review
Booster offers 15 different KiwiSaver funds for you to choose from.