Review: OFX international money transfers – September 2020
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
1 - 2 days
|Product Name||OFX (Ozforex) International Money Transfers|
|Min. Transfer Amount||AUD 250|
|Max. Transfer Amount||No limit|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Phone, Agent|
|Transfer Options||Regular payments, One off payments, Market orders, Forward contracts|
Minimum transfer time
|1 - 2 days|
|Available Currencies||AED, ARS, AUD, AZN, BGN, BHD, BND, BRL, CAD, CHF, CLP, CNY, CZK, DKK, EGP, EUR, FJD, GBP, HKD, HUF, IDR, ILS, INR, JPY, KRW, KWD, LKR, MAD, MGA, MXN, MYR, NOK, NZD, OMR, PEN, PGK, PHP, PKR, PLN, RUB, SAR, SBD, SCR, SEK, SGD, THB, TOP, TRY, TWD, TZS, USD, VEF, VND, VUV, WST, XOF, XPF, ZAR|
|Online Transfer Fee||AUD 0|
|Phone Transfer Fee||AUD 15|
|Exchange Rate Updates||Real time|
- No online transfer fee only available for Finder customers
- Discounted exchange rates available for Finder customers
- Quick turnaround time
- Minimum transfer amount: $250
What's in this guide?
- OFX exchange rates and fees
- Available currencies
- What types of transfers can I make with OFX?
- How long does a transfer with OFX take?
- What payment methods does OFX accept?
- Is OFX safe to use?
- How to register an account
- How do I make an international money transfer with OFX?
- What is OFX?
- In a nutshell
- How does OFX compare to other providers?
- Frequently asked questions
OFX exchange rates and fees
Calculate how much your transfer with OFX could cost in our calculator below. OFX does charge a fee for certain transfers, as well as a margin on the exchange rate.
OFX sends money to over 75 countries around the world. You can check out a full list of the currencies you can send with OFX here, but some of the more popular ones include:
- CNY Chinese Yuan
- AUD Australian dollar
- GBP British Pound
- PHP Philippine peso
- EUR Euro
- GBP British pound
- THB Thai Baht
- KRW South Korean Won
What types of transfers can I make with OFX?
OFX only supports bank to bank transfers, so you won’t be able to transfer to your recipient’s mobile wallet or a cash pick-up location. OFX also offers other forex tools and services to help you make your transfer, including:
- Limit orders. Request a transfer that’s executed only when your desired exchange rate becomes available, at which point OFX will lock it in.
- Forward contracts. With this tool, you lock in a favourable exchange rate now for a future transfer, avoiding unpredictable movements in the rate.
- Recurring transfers. Avoid entering the details of your weekly, monthly or quarterly transfers by automating regular payments.
- Business transfers. OFX helps businesses with a way to pay overseas vendors or suppliers.
How long does a transfer with OFX take?
Transfers from New Zealand to the United States are the fastest, often taking only one business day. Most other currencies will take a bit longer, averaging out at one to two business days.
What payment methods does OFX accept?
OFX only accepts payment through a bank transfer. This means you won’t be able to pay with cash, card, cheque or bank draft.
Transfers typically take
1 - 2 days
Is OFX safe to use?
- Security and regulation: Government regulated, phone verification for new accounts, fraud detection.
- Established: 1998
- Reviews: Trustpilot gives OFX a score of 8.9* out of 10, based on over 3,300 reviews.
How does OFX make money?
OFX makes its money off both the transaction fee it charges for transfers under $10,000 and a margin on the exchange rate.
The margin is what a money transfer provider adds to the exchange rate to cover its own fees. You can see how much this is by checking the exchange rate you’re quoted against what the market rate is on XE or Google.
How to register an account
How do I make an international money transfer with OFX?
- Log in to your OFX account.
- Use the calculator on your dashboard to calculate how much you want to send and to which currency.
- Click “Transfer Now”.
- Create your new recipient. You’ll need their bank account details and address.
- Select a reason for your transfer.
- Review and confirm your transfer.
- Transfer your funds to OFX.
- OFX will transfer your money once it’s received and you’ll get confirmation that it has arrived.
What is OFX?
Launched in 1998 in Sydney’s Northern Beaches, OFX has grown from an information-only website to a provider with 24/7 global market access. OFX used to operate under several country-specific names – like OzForex, UKForex, USForex – but consolidated under the OFX name in 2015.
As well as Sydney, OFX has offices in New Zealand, Canada, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom and the United States.
In a nutshell
- No fees on larger transfers. You’ll be paying a $15 flat fee on transfers under $10,000, though.
- Flexible options. From placing forward contracts to scheduling regular transfers, there’s a range of options to suit your needs.
- No maximum limit. This makes it good for larger transfers.
- Options for business use and online sellers.
- Only bank account transfers. You’ll need to look elsewhere if you’re after cash transfers or paying by card.
- No cash pick-up. Your recipient will have to have a bank account to receive the money.
- Must have an account to get a quote. You’ll need to register to see what rates OFX is offering.
How does OFX compare to other providers?
OFX is just one among many money transfer companies. Use our calculator below to see how OFX stacks up against the competition.