New Year’s Eve is knocking on your door. To inspire you to start 2020 off with a bang, we’ve rustled up the best restaurants with views of the fireworks, tickets to the hottest parties and cruises on the river to celebrate at.
Plus, we’ve also got the lowdown on rooms to book to crash when the night has come to an end.
Let the countdown begin.
New Year’s Eve fireworks in Melbourne: Times and vantage points
Melbourne welcomes two sets of fireworks; a family friendly set at 9:30pm at Yarra and Footscray Parks and midnight fireworks along the river.
The 2019/2020 fireworks haven’t been announced yet but the schedule and vantage points don’t typically change. To give you an idea of where you should be this year, here were the official sites where you could watch the midnight fireworks from on New Year’s Eve in Melbourne. Just click on the viewing areas on the map to see what time the fireworks began:
Official viewing area with food for sale
Unofficial viewing area with no food for sale
|Location||Information||Early or midnight fireworks?||Starting time|
|Yarra Park, Richmond or Jolimont Stations||Watch entertainers and play carnival games, or watch a movie on the big screen, before watching the family fireworks display.||Early||Entertainment from 7pm. Fireworks at 9:30pm.|
|Footscray Park, Footscray Station||Bring a picnic to the park and enjoy the free entertainment before the big show.||Early||Entertainment from 6.30pm. Fireworks at 9:30pm.|
|Kings Domain, Flinders Street Station||One of the biggest celebration areas on the evening, get in early to secure your spot.||Midnight||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Treasury Gardens, Parliament Station||View the fireworks from the city’s eastside with a DJ playing to keep you pumped for the might fireworks.||Midnight||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Flagstaff Gardens, Flagstaff Station||Situated between La Trobe and King Streets, Flagstaff is a great spot for tonight’s proceedings.||Midnight||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
|Docklands, Southern Cross Station||Guaranteed to be packed with locals and visitors, Docklands surrounds Victoria Harbour and overlooks the city from the west.||Midnight||Entertainment from 9pm. Fireworks at midnight.|
New Year’s Eve Melbourne restaurants
Top eats with views of the Melbourne skyline to capture that picture-perfect shot at midnight.
- The Meat and Wine Co: Ideally located in Southbank along the Yarra River, sit down to a 3-course menu beginning and ending with selected beverages. The sit-down dinner is timed so you can see both the 9pm and midnight fireworks show – Just make sure to choose the 9pm until close option. Tickets $195 per adult and $85 per person for children under 12.
- Sparkle NYE at Taxi Kitchen: Perfectly situated at Federation Square for easy access to the fireworks, Taxi Kitchen is hosting a sparkle-themed party complete with a 5-course dinner. Tickets: Early sitting from 5pm-7:30pm is $125 per person and main sitting from 8:30pm-1am is $185 per person.
- Little Collins Kitchen at Sheraton: Find yourself surrounded by the luxurious throws of the Sheraton as you dine at the Sheraton. A 2-hour dinner package starts at $179pp after which you can steal away to the afterparty at Terrace Bar to dance the night away.
- Melba Restaurant at The Langham: Sit down to dishes like blue swimmer crab, Moreton Bay bugs and peri peri prawns, among more than a dozen other options, at The Langham from 9pm on New Year’s Eve. The package includes, includes wine, beer and sparkling with a live band playing in the background. Tickets are $389. Groups of four dine for $345 per person, groups of six dine for $337.50 per person, groups of eight dine for $330 per person and groups of 10 dine for $320 per person. Guaranteed window seats available for $30 per person.
- New Year’s Eve at Amora Hotel Riverwalk Melbourne: Treat yourself to canapés, a three-course dinner and sip on beer, wine and soft drinks at this party that kicks on until after the new year has kicked in. Tickets from $150 for adults.
- New Year’s Eve Dinner at Stamford Plaza Melbourne: Indulge in a three-course set menu at Harry’s Restaurant before heading out on the town to catch the fireworks display. Tickets from $89
- Byblos Bar & Restaurant: Plant yourself right on the waterfront and graze on the delectable Lebanese fare at Byblos as you toast the new year to 180° views. It’s what we’d do, too. Tickets from $169 for a 5-hour meal and drink package.
New Year’s Eve Melbourne cruises:
Cruises along the Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay are available on New Year’s Eve and you can get a whole different perspective of the midnight fireworks than you would on land.
Our top pick:
More river cruises in Melbourne on New Year’s Eve:
- Yarra River party cruise: Spend the nighton the river with a front-seat view of the fireworks. This 4-hour cruise has it all from free flowing drinks and nibbles to an on-boat DJ. Boarding starts at 8pm from Federation Wharf and there are two sailings, one for 18-40 year olds and another for 40+ year olds. Tickets are $240pp.
- Victoria Star: Gear up for the ultimate party on the water – complete with cheap drinks, food and two levels of dance floors. Boarding starts at 8pm from Central Pier, Docklands and you’ll be back docked and ready at the pier by midnight to catch all the fireworks action. Earlybird tickets are $175. Canapes are included in the price but drinks are extra.
What to do on New Year’s Eve in Melbourne: Top NYE events and parties
Grab your golden ticket to the biggest parties to close out 2019.
- NYE H2o Docklands and South Bank: Bars, dance floors and DJs take over the South Wharf Promenade on New Year’s eve for this party that’s all inclusive of spirits, wine, frozen drinks, beer, cider and cocktail food. General admission tickets are $145 (Docklands) and $165 (South Bank), and VIP ticket which include access to a separate area and a premium drink selection is $199 (South Bank).
- Eureka Tower: The iconic tower is rolling back the years and launching a a Roaring 20’s party to kick-start the 2020s. From 89 storeys up, you’re practically guaranteed the best views in the house. Your ticket to 2020 also includes access to the Skydeck on level 88, canapes and 5-hours of drinks. Gold ticket is $320 per person (8pm-2am) and silver ticket is $220 person (8:30pm-1am).
- Ludlow Bar and Dining Room: Sit on the banks of the Yarra River at this prime space on the views of the 9pm and midnight fireworks above the Yarra while at a Las Vegas-themed cocktail party or dinner. Tickets to the cocktail party is $180 per person.
- The Wharf Hotel: Door opens at 7pm, The Wharf Hotel will be chasing the sun until New Year’s Eve at midnight. The cocktail-style event includes 4-hour beverage packages and finger foods. Tickets $120 + booking fee per person.
- New Year’s Eve Riverland Bar: Watch the fireworks right on the waterfront and enjoy the Yarra River at its finest. Riverland’s event includes food and a beer, wine and spirits package. Earlybird tickets are $135pp.
- Fishers New Year’s Eve Party: Climb to the top of Fishers Craft Bar for an evening of drinks, canapes, music and fireworks. The 1st floor and rooftop are all yours and drinks packages run to midnight so your drink will be charged and ready for the new year. Tickets $127.03.
- Secret NYE Rooftop Party @ The Aviary: You didn’t hear it from us but The Crown’s Aviary is hosting one of the most exclusive rooftop shindigs on 31 December. Expect gourmet food stations, flowing beer and live entertainment capped off by the crack of the official fireworks overhead. Tickets from $250.
- New Year’s Eve Warehouse Party at Rubix Warehouse: This is less warehouse party and more carnival extravaganza where afro beats play all night and popcorn, fairy floss and confetti canons reign supreme. Tickets from $30.
- Waterslide Bar: Slide into the new year graced with million dollar skyline views of the fireworks. With a 4-hour party package and DJ to keep you going this is going to be one cracker of a start to the new year. Tickets from $143.62.
- SEA LIFE: Searching for an exclusive spot on the river for the whole family? SEA LIFE has split its NYE party in two and is serving up a family package from 7-10pm which includes access to the Coral Atoll zone in time to catch the 9.30pm fireworks. An adults-only party runs from 8pm to midnight, includes drinks and Yarra River views from the Rainforest and Upper Deck at midnight. And yes, both give you access to the aquarium after-hours. Tickets from $39 (child) and $79 (adult).
- The Boatbuilders Yard: Fondly referred to as Boaties, throw your hair down and surround yourself by an extensive beer garden on the banks of the Yarra. The drinks are unlimited, food is roving and the DJ won’t stop playing until after 1am. Tickets from $125 (earlybird) or $145 (second release).
- ST. ALi x Feels Good NYD Laneway Party: Want to keep the party going? Starting from 7am until late on New Year’s Day, ST. ALi will have the music pumping and food by some of the best in the biz, including Curtis Stone, Andrew McConnell and Lune Croissanterie on rotation. Entry is free and the event is all ages, however children must be accompanied by an adult.
Hotels in Melbourne for New Years
Searching for a room with a view on New Year’s Eve in Melbourne? Check out our Finder.com.au picks for where to stay or search below to compare rates at more Melbourne hotels.