Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

Can you have multiple travel insurance policies?

If your credit card's travel insurance doesn't go far enough, you can take out a second policy.

In many cases, credit card travel insurance benefits are low, the excess is high and you can’t get cover for pre-existing conditions.

If that’s describes your card’s insurance, there’s nothing stopping you from getting an additional standalone policy, which will usually offer better cover and more flexibility.

Get a travel insurance quote

1 - 3 of 3
Name Product Medical Cover Cancellation Cover Luggage and Personal Effects Cover Default Excess
Cover-More Comprehensive
Cover chosen
Includes unlimited cover for emergency medical, accommodation and transport expenses, $25,000 cover for luggage and travel documents, and $10,000 for legal expenses.
Cover-More Annual Multi-Trip
Cover chosen
Peace of mind as you travel the world with comprehensive travel insurance that covers you over a 12 month period. An affordable option for those who take multiple trips over the year. Travel cancellation up to your chosen cover.
Cover-More Domestic
Travel around New Zealand with the security of $200,000 in personal liability cover, up to $4,000 for rental vehicle excess and $10,000 in cancellation cover.

Compare up to 4 providers

When would you want multiple travel insurance policies?

  • If you buy standalone travel insurance, even though your credit card also provides free travel insurance.
  • If you buy standalone travel insurance, even though your bank account offers travel insurance as part of your account package.
  • If you buy standalone travel insurance, even though one of your other forms of insurance includes travel cover as an add-on.
  • If you have an annual travel insurance policy in place but take out a single trip policy to cover specific losses not covered under the annual policy.

While it’s possible to have multiple policies, it’s not possible to receive a pay out from two policies for the same loss. New Zealand insurance law stipulates that if you hold two insurance policies with identical coverage, both insurers can share the cost of covering the claim, but are not required to pay out 100% of that claim.

The only exception to this is in relation to death or permanent disability cover, where insurers are required to pay out the benefit amount stated in their policies, regardless of what other insurers have paid.

Disclosing other insurance in the event of a claim

A common exclusion included in travel insurance policies relates to other sources of reimbursement. A typical travel insurance product disclosure statement (PDS) will state that if you are able to receive compensation from any other source for your loss, the insurer will only pay the difference between the benefit amount and the amount you receive from that other source.

This also applies to other insurers. If you have cover under more than one policy, you must inform your insurer of this and provide details of the other insurer and the policy. This is because if your insurer pays out your claim, they can then seek a contribution from the other insurer.

Vice versa, if you claim from the other insurer and they only provide you with a partial pay out, your insurer will pay you the difference between what you received and your insured benefit amount.

What happens if I don’t disclose both policies?

If you don’t disclose your other forms of cover to your insurer, the penalties could be even more severe. Insurers investigate all claims thoroughly and share this information, so if you claim on two policies without declaring it’s likely one or both will find out.

Moreover, any purposely fraudulent statements regarding other policies could mean your cover will be voided, your policy cancelled and you’ll possibly wind up in court.

Travel Insurance Claims Disclosure Example

The section below is a conditions summary for disclosing other payments from travel insurance brand 1Cover (backed by Allianz):

  • If you can claim from anyone else we will only make up the difference. If you are eligible to receive payment for the loss from another party, we will only pay the difference. You must pay from them first.
  • Other insurance policies. If any loss, damage or liability covered under this policy is covered by other insurance, you must give us the details. If you make a claim with one insurance policy and are paid the full amount, you cannot claim under another policy.

Picture: Getty Images

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site