HSBC Home Loans
Get a special fixed rate for 2 years of 3.20% p.a. with a summer home loan offer if you meet HSBC’s eligibility criteria
HSBC is one of the largest financial organisations on the planet, serving over 40 million customers worldwide. It was the first overseas bank to get a banking licence to operate in New Zealand, and even though its presence is small with only one customer branch and two corporate offices, it assists personal customers with their home loan requirements throughout the country.
While it does have stricter eligibility criteria than other banks when it comes to mortgage lending, you will be joining an organisation that thrives on helping people with their ambitions and enabling economies to prosper.
Home loans offered by HSBC
- Fixed-Rate Home Loan. A fixed-rate home loan allows you to lock in a rate between 3.54% and 4.19% for a term of 6 months to 4 years. This means that you can have more control over your finances knowing that your repayments will stay the same until you re-fix your loan.
- Floating Rate Home Loan. With a home loan that has a floating interest rate, your interest rate could start at 5.24% but may go up or down depending on what is happening in the market. While your required repayment amount will change with the interest rate, you can make additional repayments at any time to shorten the loan term without penalty.
- Construction Loan. If you’re building a home, a construction home loan requires that you only pay interest on a floating rate until it is ready to move in. It ensures that you have enough money on hand for finishing details or when something unexpected happens and then it turns into a standard home loan once construction is completed.
- Home Equity Loan. A continuous line of credit requires good money management, but by putting your savings and income into your home loan account, you can reduce the amount of interest you need to pay.
Features and benefits
- Split home loans.Create a combination of floating, fixed and home equity loan to take advantage of different features and benefits.
- Competitive interest rates. Take advantage of competitive interest rates according to your HSBC home loan term.
- Pay off your loan faster. By utilising a floating home loan or home equity loan, you can make extra repayments and pay off your loan sooner.
- Pre-approval. Before you start looking for your new home, HSBC can provide pre-approval valid for three months.
- Home buying resources. HSBC provides loan calculators and home buying guides on its website to help you through the process.
How do I apply?
If you are happy with the HSBC loan terms and interest rates and are ready to apply, make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria outlined below as this must be met by new HSBC customers. To start your application, you can visit HSBC in Auckland CBD, call 0800 80 23 80, or contact your relationship manager if you are an existing customer.
To be eligible for an HSBC home loan, you’ll need to have a minimum value of $500,000 in home loans with HSBC in New Zealand and/or a minimum value of $100,000 in HSBC investments and savings. While minimum home loan values will not apply, there may be other eligibility criteria to meet.
You will automatically qualify for Premier status in New Zealand if you are an overseas Premier customer.
To support your application, you will need to provide HSBC with the following documentation:
- Photo identification such as your passport or driver’s licence
- Proof of address
- Proof of income
- Bank statements from the last three months taken from your main transactional account
- A sales and purchase agreement if you have one
HSBC will assess your application and contact you within two working days to let you know if it has been approved or not. It will then forward the appropriate documentation to your solicitor.
Read more on this topic
ANZ Home Loans Find out how you can get special interest rates for your ANZ home loan when you have a 20% deposit and your salary credited to your transactional account.
ASB Home Loans With a lending support team available seven days a week and different repayment options, an ASB home loan is worth considering for your property purchase.
Westpac Home Loans With First Home Loan and Family Springboard options, Westpac has some helpful options for first time home buyers to consider.
SBS Bank Home Loans SBS has partnered with Kāinga Ora to provide First Home Loans for Kiwis with a low deposit, plus there are options for investors and existing homeowners.
Co-operative Bank Home Loans Co-operative Bank home loans cater for all kinds of circumstances. First home buyers can apply with only a 10% deposit.
TSB Home Loans If you have a minimum of 20% deposit, you’ll be rewarded with a special interest rate when you take out a TSB home loan.
Resimac Home Loans Discover about non-bank home loan lender Resimac and its products.
How to use KiwiSaver to buy a home Your KiwiSaver funds are not just for retirement. Find out how you can use the KiwiSaver First-home Withdrawal to help purchase your first home.
Online home loans and lenders Ignoring the online home loan market can see you miss out on a range of competitive deals. Find out more about online lenders.
Reverse Mortgages Find out how reverse mortgages can allow you to access the equity in your home to pay for retirement costs.