Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Vodafone mobile plans
Tailor your mobile experience with add-ons and rewards when you choose a pay monthly or prepay Vodafone plan
Is Vodafone right for me?
- What Vodafone offers: Prepay and pay monthly plans for mobile
- The highlights: Create your own prepay plan with MyFlex; Vodafone Rewards; MyVodafone app; Social Pass; Add-ons for extra data, minutes and roaming services.
- Watch out for: Unlimited plans reduce speed, depending on the plan, hotspot not available on all plans, expensive roaming.
While keeping up with the latest technology advancements, Vodafone owns its corporate responsibility and supports local communities and charitable organisations. It was the first telecommunications company in New Zealand to launch 5G for mobile. While it’s only available in the main urban centres, for example, Auckland and Christchurch at the moment, it will expand in the future.
If you’re looking for a new mobile phone plan, Vodafone has a range of options to suit different lifestyles plus you can purchase a new mobile from its online store and pay it off interest-free.
Types of plans offered by Vodafone
Whether you want to pay monthly or go with prepay, Vodafone has several plans to choose from with varying data, minute and text allowances.
If you meet the credit and eligibility criteria, you can choose from one of Vodafone’s pay monthly plans. You don’t need to worry about topping up each month as charges are automatically deducted from your credit card or by direct debit. Alternatively, you can pay your bill each month by credit card. Calls and texts are valid to New Zealand and Australia. If you run out of data, you can purchase more to get you through until your plan renewal date with Flexi Data. Pay $10 for 250MB, $15 for 500MB, $25 for 2GB or $35 for 3GB.
Up to four people can use a Companion Plan with only one bill to worry about. With an Endless Data Medium plan for $60, Large at $80 or Extra Large plan for $100, you all receive unlimited calls and texts to New Zealand and Australia, and Hotspot. Plus, of course, unlimited data! The additional users need to pay $30 each.
Add ons for pay monthly plans
- Hotspot. With all monthly endless data plans, a Hotspot is included at no extra cost.
- Roaming. Pay $7 a day to use your plan overseas in over 100 destinations.
- Overseas landline. Pay 69 per minute cents for landline and mobile calls to Canada, US, UK and Ireland, and $1.39 per minute for landline and mobile calls to other countries.
Prepay is suitable for people who don’t want a monthly plan, or who perhaps do not meet the eligibility requirements for pay monthly.
Pay & Go
With Pay & Go, there is no monthly charge, and you don’t receive an allowance for texts, minutes and data. You pay for what you use, so it’s suitable for someone who rarely uses their phone. Casual rates are 10c for texts, 20c per MB and 30c per minute.
Mates Prepay plans can be tailored to suit your mobile needs so you can keep in touch with your mates when you need to. Choose how many minutes, texts and data you need each month, so you’re only paying for what you use.
If you’re under 25 years old, you receive a 500MB bonus every top-up of $20, and this bonus data can be used toward either 5,000 Snapchats, 250 Whatsapp minutes or 2,000 Instagram posts. There are also daily data add-ons for morning or night, so if you need to spend a lot of time online, you can use one of these.
Designing your ideal Mates Prepay plan means selecting up to 4GB of data, between 50 and 500 minutes, and between 50 and unlimited texts. Check out the table for costs with some example configurations.
Rather than being stuck with a bundle that doesn’t suit your needs, Vodafone has dispensed with its previous carryover prepay plans and now offers MyFlex. MyFlex allows you to choose the amount of data, texts and minutes you need each month, which means if you are a heavy data user, but don’t make many calls, you can tailor your plan accordingly.
Select between 250MB and 40GB of data a month, between 50 and unlimited minutes, and between 50 and unlimited texts. See the table for an idea of what you would pay for some example combo options.
MyFlex plan minutes can be used for both New Zealand and Australia calls. Any minutes and data you don’t use carry over to the next month, but you must have enough credit to renew.
The following add-ons can be bought to complement your base prepay plan:
- Daily Deals. With Daily Deals, from just 50 cents a day, you can access personalised deals for texts, data and minutes. You can choose according to your personal preference, and Daily Deals is refreshed every 24 hours.
- NZBestMate. On selected plans, this add-on can be customised for up to 3 people, if you have a friend or family member that you often call. For example, for 2 NZBestMates, you receive 2000 minutes of calls to your nominated New Zealand landlines or mobiles, at the cost of $20 each month.
- Roaming. Travelling overseas? Prepay roaming is available in over 70 countries. Pay $5 per day for 200MB of data, 20 minutes of NZ and local calling plus 20 texts. Alternatively, you can pay $19 a week to get 1GB of data, 100 minutes and 100 texts.
NZ Travel Plan
Visitors to New Zealand can stay connected using an NZ Travel Plan. These include data, minutes and texts, as well as free data for certain social media and calling apps including Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram and Twitter for 30 days. Minutes and texts can be used for New Zealand calling as well as up to 19 other countries.
|Costs||Lasts for||Data||Free data (30 days only)||Minutes||Texts|
|$29||30 days||1.5GB||Messenger, Whatsapp, Viber only||200||200|
|$49||60 days||5GB||Nine common apps||200||200|
|$59||60 days||10GB||Nine common apps||200||200|
|$99||60 days||20GB||Nine common apps||200||200|
Travel Plans cannot be renewed, but it’s possible to purchase extra minutes or data that last for 60 days.
Extras and rewards with Vodafone
- Vodafone Pass. From 36 cents a day for a 28-day pass, you can have access to Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Twitter and Pinterest. Using the My Vodafone app, you can choose from $2 for 1 day, $5 for 7 days or $10 for 28 days.
- Vodafone Rewards. With Vodafone Rewards, you have access to exclusive ticket deals for concerts, movies and sporting events plus everyday offers and experiences.
How about 5G?
Vodafone launched its 5G mobile service near the end of 2019, but this is currently only available in selected locations. 5G will be available in more areas as Vodafone extends its network, so stay tuned for updates.
- Money-back guarantee. If you don’t love Vodafone, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- My Vodafone app. Track how much data you’ve used on certain days or over a specific period, which is useful when deciding if you need to change your plan.
- TXT Alerts. Pay monthly customers, with active Flexi Data, receive an automatic text when data usage reaches 80% and 100% of the plan allowance. Casual data users also get a text when they get to 80% of their daily usage.
- Data Angel Overseas. For $7 a day, pay monthly customers who are travelling overseas can use plan minutes, texts and data in more than 100 destinations. Alternatively, you can purchase data packs by text.
- Bring your number. If you are switching to Vodafone from another provider and want to keep the same number, you can do so when setting up a MyFlex plan. You also receive 5GB of free data to use within 90 days. Pay monthly customers can also switch their number to Vodafone.
- Phone trade-in. Depending on your current phone model, you may be able to trade it in and receive a credit voucher to purchase a new one.
- Vodafone mobiles. Purchase a new phone directly from the Vodafone online store whether you are signing up for prepay or pay monthly contract. Smartphones start from as little as $100, with both Apple and Android models to choose from.
- Interest-free mobiles. If you’re on a pay monthly contract, it’s possible to pay off a new phone in instalments without being charged any interest. You need to pay a $99 deposit then the balance is spread over 12, 24 or 36 months, with the amount added to your pay monthly plan charge on each bill.
- Vodafone Community. Ask a question to the Vodafone Ninjas or other community members about your mobile plan or phone, or browse the boards to learn more about any of Vodafone’s services.
What to be aware of
- Casual data is charged at $0.30 per MB if you are on a prepaid plan, so it’s worth keeping track of your data and taking advantage of the data packs.
- When choosing an unlimited data plan, it’s important to note that maximum speeds are reduced after you reach a certain limit, for example, with the $60 per month plan it reduces once you reach 12GB.
- Hotpots are not available on all plans.
- Purchasing data packs to use overseas is expensive. For example, if you are travelling to Australia, 250MB will cost you $30. If you’re travelling to Tahiti, $30 only gets you 5MB. If you are going to need data access while travelling out of Wi-Fi areas, the Daily Roaming option may be better suited. Alternatively, you can pick up a local SIM card in the country you are travelling to or check out what rates are on offer with an international SIM card.
- There are restrictions for add-ons to your prepay mobile. You can only have one type of add-on at a time, and they can not be used while you are roaming overseas. Prepay mobile data add-ons are used in a particular order set out by Vodafone.
Being a leading telecommunications company with its own fast and reliable network, Vodafone is worth considering when looking for a new mobile phone plan.
There are plenty of options to choose from whether you are a light or heavy mobile user, and there are some great perks and add-ons such as Social Pass and Vodafone Rewards. We especially like the MyFlex prepay plan that allows you to configure the right amount of data and minutes to suit how you use your phone.
However, having a lot of options can be a bit overwhelming, so take your time to compare different plans to make sure that you are getting the right deal to suit your lifestyle and budget.
More guides on Finder
Online course platforms
Learn about some of the top online course platforms that make it easy to create, deliver and sell your lessons.
Just Host discount codes and coupons April 2021 | 30-day money back guarantee
Get your new website up and running quickly and easily with Just Host shared, VPS and dedicated hosting plans.
Vodafone’s Vodafone Pass feature offers unlimited streaming, but it’s worth reading the fine print.
20 top money tips for students
Be smart with your money while you get your qualification with these top student money tips.
Invideo discount codes and coupons April 2021 | $10 a month for video content
Create professional looking videos for your website or to upload on Instagram or YouTube. Save with our promos.
NZ Car Theft Statistics 2020
A Finder analysis of New Zealand police data shows that a car was vandalised or stolen every 21 minutes in 2019 – and this number is only set to increase. Find out where the biggest car theft hotspots are, and how to protect your vehicle.
Quick Loans Business Loans Review
Check out Quick Loans business loans and find out if this Kiwi-based lender is right to get your business ticking.
Tweak your mobile apps to use less data while on the move
It’s easy to eat up your data with apps like Spotify, Instagram and Netflix, but there are ways to use less data on your smartphone.
The complete guide to mortgage refinancing
Finder NZ’s comprehensive guide to refinancing your home loan. Learn the ins and outs of refinancing and get a better home loan.
What is 5G? And just how fast is it?
Confused about what 5G really means? Check out our guide on what you need to know about 5G in NZ.