Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Spark mobile plans
With exclusive benefits, bonus data, discounts and open-term contracts, Spark mobile plans have something for everyone.
Is Spark right for me?
- What does Spark offer: Prepaid and pay monthly plans catering to a variety of mobile needs.
- The highlights: Rollover data and minutes; free daily 1GB Wi-Fi; Spotify Premium offers on prepaid and monthly plans; no lengthy contracts; over 65 plans; student & under 25 benefits.
- Watch out for: Unlimited data cap, no hot spotting on Endless mobile plans, (available at an additional $10); rollover data cap.
When looking for a new mobile phone plan, it makes sense to check out what New Zealand’s largest telecommunication company has to offer. With a passion to enrich the lives of Kiwis, Spark is consistently improving its mobile network and realises that when it comes to plans, there is no one-size-fits-all.
Plans are tailored to meet all types of mobile needs, so whether you are a heavy or light user, over 65, a student looking for extra data or a household wanting to share the same account, Spark has you covered.
Read on to find out more about Spark’s mobile phone plans and the exclusive benefits you can take advantage of when you join this provider.
Types of plans offered by Spark
Spark has two types of prepaid plans which run on a 28-day cycle: Value Packs and Data Lovers. Value Packs include an allowance of data, minutes and texts, and any unused minutes or data rollover to the next month. If you opt for a Data Lovers plan then you’ll get rollover data allowance but you need to pay casual rates for minutes and texts.
Prepay plans come with some of Spark’s benefits including:
- Free 1GB of Spark Wi-Fi per day for plans $19 and over
- 50% discount on Spotify Premium for existing users
- Rollover talk and data: talk is capped at 500 minutes and data at 3.5GB.
- Data Stack (Value Packs only)
*Calls and texts are to New Zealand only unless otherwise stated.
Spark has done away with long-term contracts and now offers open-term plans to its customers. Plans include minutes and texts to both New Zealand and Australia, (except for the $39.99 Rollover Plan). Plans may also come with exclusive Spark benefits including:
- Spotify Premium
- 1GB of free Wi-Fi every day
- Rollover data and minutes on applicable plans
- Hotspot your data for $10 a month
Shared pay monthly plans
If you have a few people that want to join together on the same plan, you can opt for a shared plan, which is available on eligible Endless Mobile monthly plans. You can have up to three other lines on the same account with each person paying $47.49 a month. You can add up to 3 tablets on an Endless Data only plan for $22.99 a month each to share data.
One Number Wearable plan
Apple Watch owners can add the One Number Wearable plan to their primary plan for $12.99 per month, which allows you to use your eligible primary plan texts and minutes on your watch plus you also receive unlimited data on your watch.
Plans for over 65s
Spark has exclusive open-term plans for customers 65 years of age and older with more minutes and less data.
- Gold Basic. For $12.99 per month, you get unlimited calling to landlines and Spark mobiles, 50 minutes to other mobile network numbers, 50 texts to NZ numbers and 100MB of data.
- Gold Talker. For $22.99 month you receive unlimited calling to NZ landlines and mobiles, 500 texts, 500MB of data, plus 1GB WiFi per day.
If you are under 25 or a student, and on an eligible Spark plan, you can receive the following for a year:
- 1GB mobile data per month
- Unlimited calls to Spark phones and landline
You can apply in-store or online at spark.co.nz/u25, and you need to make sure you have a valid photo ID
Spark mobile plan add-ons
Whether you are on a prepaid or pay monthly plan, Spark has a range of add-ons when you need a little bit extra including:
- Data. From 100MB to 2GB, or 1GB of Socialiser data. With Endless and Rollover plans, you can currently (as of 07/12/21) purchase unlimited maximum speed data for 24 hours for $10.
- Spotify Premium. 50% off the monthly cost of Spotify Premium if you have an eligible pre-pay Value Pack
- Talk. 50, 250 or unlimited minutes to New Zealand numbers
- Texts. 100 or unlimited texts
- International talk and text. 200 minutes and 100 texts to specified countries
- Hotspot. You can add a hotspot as an extra to your Endless Mobile Plan
- Roaming. Add a roaming pack to use in 44 countries for $20. This pack includes 1GB of data, 200 outgoing minutes, 200 incoming minutes and 200 texts for 7 days.
You can purchase add-ons online, via the MySpark app or by text and are valid for either 28 or 30-days depending if you are on prepay or pay monthly.
NZ Travel SIM
Visitors to New Zealand can order an NZ Travel SIM online (available free-of-charge) and then collect it from a Spark store when they arrive. There are five plans to choose from, with each including 1GB of free Wi-Fi when connecting to Spark’s Free Wi-Fi Zones, an allowance of data, NZ minutes and texts, plus international minutes (specific countries only) and texts. Some plans also include 1GB of free Socialiser data.
|Plan length||Data||NZ minutes||International minutes||NZ texts||International texts||Socialiser data||Cost|
International minutes and texts can be used for 20 countries, and you can also purchase add-ons when you need them.
Extras and rewards with Spark
- Data Stack. If you stay on an eligible Spark Prepaid Value Pack, your data allowance grows each month. In the first 28-days you receive 100MB of stackable data, then an extra 100MB the next, and so on. After 6 months you’ll reach 600MB and after 10 months you’ll have 1GB. The longer you stay, the more stackable data you can earn.
- Free Wi-Fi. Get 1GB of daily free Wi-Fi at one of over 1,000 Spark Wi-Fi zones around the country if you are on any Spark mobile plan that’s $19 or higher.
- Spotify Premium. Eligible pay monthly customers receive free Spotify Premium. Prepay customers can access 3 months of free Spotify Premium and if they are already a customer, they are offered a 50% discount for the service.
- Netflix. On Spark’s Endless Mobile – Netflix Plans, you receive a free Netflix subscription that you can use to watch TV shows and movies on your mobile and some tablets.
- Socialiser. For avid social media users, Spark gives a data allowance on selected plans for you to access Twitter, Facebook, Messenger and Spotify without eating into your plan data.
- Spark Music. Win concert tickets and meet and greets, plus have the chance to buy tickets before they go on sale to the public.
- Endless Entertainment limited time offer. If you are on a $79.99 or $99.99 Endless Mobile plan with Netflix or Spotify, you can sign up for “Endless Entertainment”, which gives you 3 months free access to Spark Sport and Neon.
- Open term plans. With no fixed-terms for pay-monthly plans, you have the flexibility to leave or change your plan without being penalised.
- Interest-free phones. Get a new phone from Spark and enjoy interest-free payments for 12-, 18-, 24- or 36-months on a pay monthly plan.
- Bring your number. No need to go through the hassle of changing your phone number. Spark can bring your existing number over to its network free of charge.
- MySpark. Keep track of your account by accessing MySpark either through the Spark website or by downloading the app to your phone. The app is available for iPhone and Android and amongst other things allows you to check your data usage, pay your bill and access Spotify and Netflix.
What to be aware of
- The length of prepaid plans is 28 days. Pay monthly plans are 30/31 days, therefore monthly.
- Rollover data is capped at 3.5GB, so if you have more than this leftover at the end of your billing cycle, only 3.5GB carries over to the next month. Minutes are capped at 500 minutes and Socialiser data does not roll over to the next month.
- On unlimited data plans, your speed reduces once you hit 40GB each month in compliance with Spark’s Fair Use Policy.
- Hotspotting is not possible on unlimited plans unless you purchase a hotspot add-on for $10 a month.
- If you’re on a prepay plan, data that expires first is used first. So if you have a few different types of data at a time, the pack allowance is used first, then Data Stack, then rollover data. Once everything has been used, you are charged casual data rates.
- Minutes and texts on some plans are only valid for New Zealand numbers, so make sure to check this if you also want to contact Australia.
- Casual rates are charged at 49c per minute, 20c per text message, and $1 a day for 10MB of data then 30c per MB.
With so many options available, Spark mobile plans are worth considering when you are looking for the right package to suit your lifestyle, budget and typical mobile usage. Pay monthly customers can enjoy free perks like Spotify Premium, but we like that prepaid plans also come with some benefits too. The Spark website can be a little overwhelming with so many services on offer, so take your time to work out exactly what you want from a mobile plan and then choose the right one accordingly.
More guides on Finder
Setting up the Internet, mobile phones and home utilities in Australia
Now that you’ve arrived in Australia, there are a few things you should organise to help you set up the internet, mobile phones and household utilities.
The best places to live in Australia
Choosing where to live when you move to Australia is a crucial decision. We’ve put together this handy guide to living in Australia’s capital cities to help you make the right choice.
Starlink: New Zealand pricing, launch date, features and competitors
Elon Musk’s Starlink promises to bring high-speed, satellite-based Internet across New Zealand. We break down how it works, the costs, availability and competition it might be up against.
Wix discount code December 2021
Needing a new website for your business, side hustle or passion project? Wix offers hundreds of templates with drag and drop features.
GrabaLoan Personal Loan Review
When you take out a GrabaLoan personal loan, you can get up to $3,000 of revolving credit.
Tweak your mobile apps to use less data while on the move
It’s easy to eat up your data with apps like Spotify, Instagram and Netflix, but there are ways to use less data on your smartphone.
Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard Review
Earn rewards and take advantage of numerous travel benefits when you sign up for the Westpac hotpoints World Mastercard.
What is 5G? And just how fast is it?
Confused about what 5G really means? Check out our guide on what you need to know about 5G in NZ.
Best mobile plans for students
From budget-conscious to international students, different mobile plans offer something for every type of student.
No contract broadband plans
Looking for a broadband plan with no long term commitments? Compare casual broadband plans to get the best value for money.