Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Kogan Mobile plans
Prepay your phone account for 30, 90 or 365 days and have one less thing to worry about when it comes to managing your expenses.
Is Kogan Mobile right for me?
- What does Kogan Mobile offer? Flexible 30, 90 and 365-day plans
- The highlights: Unlimited texts/calls to NZ and AU, no hidden fees or excess usage charges
- Watch out for: Roaming packs only valid for 3 days
Perhaps one of the lesser-known mobile plan providers in New Zealand, Kogan Mobile does things a little differently when it comes to managing your phone account. As well as a 30-day plan, you have the option to prepay 90 or 365 days, with these options saving you time and money over the course of the year.
Powered by the Vodafone 4G network, Kogan Mobile reaches 98.5% of New Zealanders with 96% of those with extended 4G coverage. There is also rural coverage to 295,000 rural homes and 4G roaming to 56 destinations.
If you’re looking to switch mobile providers, read on to find out more about what Kogan Mobile has to offer.
Types of plans offered by Kogan Mobile
Kogan Mobile allows you to choose between prepaying for 30 days, 90 days or 365 days. Rather than having a set amount of data to try and budget for the longer plans, you are given an allocation every 30 days. By paying upfront for 90 or 365 days, you can save as much as $11.70 per month and you have one less thing to think about knowing that your prepaid mobile plan is paid for.
Kogan Mobile offers a series of add-ons for when you need a little extra data, are travelling abroad or want to keep in touch with friends and family overseas.
- Data. If you run out of your data allowance before your 30-day renewal, you can purchase a data add-on. Data add-ons last for 30 days and give you 300MB for $4.90, 1.25GB for $11.90, and 3GB for $21.90.
- International calls. For $9.90 per 30 days, you can enjoy 300 international calling minutes to 42 countries around the world. Destinations across North America, South America, Europe and Asia are included.
- International roaming. When you head overseas, you can purchase an international roaming pack. Options include 700MB of data only for $11.90 or 500MB, 100 minutes and 100 texts for the same price. Packs can be used in 56 countries but are only valid for 3 days at a time.
- Bring your own number. If you want to keep your existing number, Kogan Mobile moves it onto its network or you can get a new number for free.
- Bring your own device. Kogan Mobile SIM cards work with most phones and tablets. If you need a new phone, you can purchase one from Kogan.com/nz.
- Quick setup. Once you receive your SIM card, it’s a simple process to get set up and start connecting with friends and family.
- Fast data speeds. Kogan Mobile uses 4G so you can enjoy faster speeds and excellent coverage if you have a 4G enabled handset, which makes video chats clearer and sending photos to friends and family is quicker than before.
- No hidden fees. There are no hidden costs like payout fees, unlocking costs or flagfall fees when you join Kogan Mobile. The price of your plan is all you need to pay.
- Voice over LTE. VoLTE uses your 4G data while you are making a voice call for better quality and connectivity on compatible devices.
What to be aware of
- While Kogan Mobile extends 4G coverage to 96% of New Zealanders, there is a small chance that you may be out of this zone if you live outside of cities and towns. You can check the coverage map to see if your area is covered before you sign up. It’s also worth checking on places you regularly visit such as your bach or a family member’s farm.
- SIM delivery can take up to 14 days when you purchase a voucher from Kogan.com, so be careful not to cancel any existing contracts until you receive it.
- International roaming packs start as soon as you buy them, but since they are only valid for three days you need to judge the timing correctly of when to do this. Even though you can buy more packs while you are abroad, each time you do so it supersedes the existing pack meaning that any unused data or minutes expires.
- If you are interested in purchasing an international calls add-on, make sure to check the list of countries as these are subject to change from time to time.
How to switch to Kogan Mobile
If you’ve decided that you like what Kogan Mobile has to offer and want to switch from your current provider, you can purchase a prepay plan from Kogan.com. You are then sent a SIM pack with options for standard, nano and micro SIMs included, and you need to activate your SIM online and redeem your voucher to get up and running. Alternatively, you can order a SIM by itself for $2.
Kogan Mobile is worth considering if you like the idea of prepaying your phone plan for three months or even a whole year. By doing this, you can save money compared to have a rolling 30-day plan, which leaves you a little extra money to put into your savings account.
However be sure to compare this option with other plans to check that you are getting the best deal to suit your needs, as you won’t be able to get a refund once you start using your plan.
More guides on Finder
SuperLife KiwiSaver review
SuperLife offers 42 different KiwiSaver plans for you to choose from — ranging from ethical funds to emerging markets ETFs.
20 top money tips for students
Be smart with your money while you get your qualification with these top student money tips.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralised finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
The best phones for 2020, tested by our expert editors
We’ve ranked the top 10 smartphones you can buy right now, based on hundreds of hours of hands-on testing.
Slow internet? We help you identify and solve the issue
If you’re suffering from slow download speeds or choppy Netflix streams, Internet congestion may be to blame.
Where to buy coffee online in New Zealand
Check out the online retailers that offer coffee beans, instant coffee, pods and capsules delivered straight to your door.
What is 5G? And just how fast is it?
Confused about what 5G really means? Check out our guide on what you need to know about 5G in NZ.
Best mobile plans for students
From budget-conscious to international students, different mobile plans offer something for every type of student.
Cheap mobile plans
You can spend relatively little on a mobile plan these days, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t compare the value on offer to get the best deal.
The renters’ guide to broadband
Finding a broadband plan that fits the rental lifestyle isn’t always easy. We’ve broken down the key factors that you’ll want to consider.