Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Looking for a loan but have a low income? Some lenders offer low-income loans, with low interest rates and little to no fees.
⚠️ Warning: be cautious with short-term loans
If you're experiencing financial hardship and would like to speak to someone for free financial counselling, you can call the MoneyTalks helpline operated by FinCap on 0800 345 123. It is open from 8:00am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm Saturday. When comparing short term loans, ensure you take into consideration any fees, charges and rates you may be charged.
Alternatives to short-term loans
Consider these alternatives before applying for a payday loan:
- Use online Government resources. The Commerce Commission New Zealand website explains how loans works and what to be aware of when borrowing from a lender.
- Payment plans. Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan or receive an extension on your due date if you’re behind on payments.
- Contact your creditors. Speak with creditors about extending the due date of your payment, or working out a new payment plan that works for both of you. Seek personal loans elsewhere. Consider a small personal loan from a bank or a credit union. You may qualify for a loan with much lower interest rates than those offered by payday loan companies.
- Pay with credit card. Consider paying with your credit card to cover your emergency bills or payments. This is not a long term solution, as you’ll need to pay off the balance as soon as possible, but it’s an alternative to a short term loan with high – and immediate – interest rates.
Compare up to 4 providers
More guides on Finder
- Your complete guide to cryptocurrency statistics
The one, two, threes that anyone looking into cryptocurrency needs to know before you start buying.
- Tips for earning crypto while you sleep
SPONSORED: Want to put your cryptocurrency to work? Put your portfolio on autopilot and start earning interest 24/7 with a range of methods.
- 10 healthy habits that are surprisingly easy to introduce
These 10 little changes can help you live a happier, healthier and wealthier life with a bit of willpower.
- Lazy Tax Report 2021
Finder’s Lazy Tax Report found 9 out of 10 Kiwis are missing out on a better deal by sticking with the same provider.
- Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
- What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
- How to invest in cryptocurrency
Learn how to get started investing in cryptocurrency, the methods available to you, and what to keep in mind before making your first purchase.
- Migrant banking: Opening a bank account in Australia
Having an Australian bank account is crucial in order to access and manage your funds in your new home country.
- Long and short term accommodation in Australia
Take the stress out of relocating your life to Australia by discovering the ins and outs of finding somewhere to live when you arrive in Australia early.
- Uber Eats delivery driving – a guide
We breakdown the benefits of Uber Eats delivery driving, including how much you can earn and what you need to do it.