Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Cheap life insurance
Cheap life insurance does exist, you just have to look around and compare.
You don’t have to spend a fortune to give your family a financial safety net. There are options for cheap life insurance, so we did the hard work for you and have found some of the cheapest life insurance policies in New Zealand.
The following are some of the factors that impact the price of your life insurance premiums:
- Your age. Premiums go up as we get older.
- Your health. Healthy people pay less than those with medical problems.
- Your lifestyle. Gym-goers may be able to claim premium reductions.
- If you smoke. Smokers typically pay almost twice as much as nonsmokers.
- Level of cover. The higher the benefit payout, the higher the premiums.
- Added cover. Premiums are higher if you add trauma, income protection and total permanent disability cover to your standard life insurance policy.
- Payment type. You can generally choose to pay your premiums in one of three ways:
– Yearly stepped. Your premiums start out lower but increase each year as you get older.
– Stepped. Your premium increases by a specific amount after a set period, for example 5% after 10 years.
– Level. You pay the same price for the term of the policy.
- Combining cover. Some insurers offer discounts to customers with multiple policies.
You can get life insurance directly, or you could get it through a financial advisor.
|Type||How to buy||Pros||Cons|
|Through an advisor||Buy after seeking advice from a life insurance broker or adviser.|
|Direct||Buy directly from an insurer without the aid of a broker or adviser.|
For some people, yes. That’s why you should never buy life insurance based on price alone. Always make sure you read the product disclosure statement (PDS) carefully. Risks associated with cheap life insurance include the following:
Getting a policy which doesn’t suit your lifestyle
You can get cheaper life insurance by telling your insurer you don’t smoke, but if it’s not true, your policy might not payout when you make a claim. Always be truthful, even if it’s going to cost you more money upfront.
Not being covered for health conditions
Buying life insurance without a medical questionnaire may be quicker and sometimes cheaper, but it automatically excludes any pre-existing medical conditions. If you have any health issues, expect to pay more for your life insurance.
If the price of your life insurance premiums seems too good to be true, it probably is. Lots of Kiwis don’t take out enough insurance for genuine financial security. While $200,000 worth of life insurance sounds great, that wouldn’t even cover half of the average mortgage in New Zealand.
Can you get cheap life insurance without a medical exam?
You can get life insurance without taking a medical exam, and while there are some decent benefits to going down this path, there are also some major pitfalls.
- Straightforward application process
- Little to no medical underwriting required
- Convenient for people who know exactly what they need in a policy
- Convenient for people who understand how specific policies work
- Good for people who don’t need the help of an adviser
- Insurers make assumptions on your health and the level of risk you carry
- Premium rates may be higher compared to life insurance that has a more stringent medical underwriting process
- May find you’re not covered for any pre-existing medical conditions you might have
More guides on Finder
Campervan hire in Sydney | Where to book, what to know
Find your perfect home on wheels with campervan rentals in The Harbour City.
Checklist for moving to Australia
Take the headache out of migration with these checklists and have a smart, stress free move.
Long and short term accommodation in Australia
Take the stress out of relocating your life to Australia by discovering the ins and outs of finding somewhere to live when you arrive in Australia early.
The best places to live in Australia
Choosing where to live when you move to Australia is a crucial decision. We’ve put together this handy guide to living in Australia’s capital cities to help you make the right choice.
GHD discount codes and coupons May 2021: Get 10% off instantly
Get just-stepped-out-of-the-salon looks with revolutionary GHD styling products.
New Zealand student discounts May 2021: All the ways to save on clothes, tech and more
There are plenty of discounts up for grabs for Kiwi students. But how do you get access?
Online stores with free delivery and returns
Not many stores offer both free shipping and returns when you order online. Find out where to shop and learn more about how these processes work.
Bed Threads discount codes and coupons May 2021
There is no need to keep searching for your dream bedding. You’ve found it right here. Everything you need is at Bed Threads.
Uber Eats delivery driving – a guide
We breakdown the benefits of Uber Eats delivery driving, including how much you can earn and what you need to do it.
Pet Direct discount codes and coupons May 2021
Pet Direct has everything to keep your pet happy, well fed, groomed and entertained. Get all your pet care products there.
Ask an Expert