Kiwibank unsecured personal loan
A ‘truly Kiwi bank’, Kiwibank offers personal loans to New Zealanders for up to 7 years with fixed interest rates.
Kiwibank has been providing banking services to New Zealanders since 2002, and started out operating through PostShops throughout the country. Fast forward almost 20 years later and Kiwibank has its own branches and offers financial services to both personal and business customers.
Having a parent company that is a state-owned group, all profits stay right here in New Zealand and products are designed to meet the needs of Kiwis.
If you’re wanting to take out a personal loan, find out more about Kiwibank has to offer.
Interest Rate (p.a.)
Max. Loan Amount
Minimum Credit Score
|Product Name||Kiwibank Unsecured Personal Loan|
|Interest Rate (p.a.)||16.95%|
|Min. Loan Amount||$10,000|
|Max. Loan Amount||$70,000|
|Loan Term||6 months to 7 years|
|Turnaround Time||Once you have submitted your application, you can expect for someone to get back to you within 24 hours. This excludes Sundays and in some cases, it may take a little longer.|
Pros and cons
- Fast funds
- Borrow up to $70,000
- Flexible loan terms
- No fee for additional payments
- Loan establishment fee
- Late payment fee
Features and benefits of a Kiwibank loan
Kiwibank has one standard personal loan that can be used for anything from debt consolidation to vehicle finance to home renovations. However, different interest rates apply depending on how much you borrow, if you have a home loan with Kiwibank or if you are a Graduate Pack customer.
- Choose your loan term. Kiwibank personal loans can be taken out for a period of between 6 months and 7 years, so you can choose to make higher repayments over a shorter time or lower repayments over a longer time.
- Fixed interest rate. With a fixed interest rate and determined repayment amounts, there won’t be any surprises.
- Flexible payments. You can set your repayment schedule to tie in with your payday, whether that’s weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
- Consolidate your debt. If you have other debts such as vehicle finance, hire purchases or credit cards, you can consolidate these together into one repayment.
- Loan calculator. Kiwibank provides a loan calculator on its website so you can work out what your repayments will be for various loan terms and understand how much interest you will need to pay.
- Additional payments. Make additional payments at any time during your loan term to pay it off faster.
- Fast payment. Once approved, it’s possible to get the funds in your account on the next business day.
- Joint applications. You can share the responsibility and repayment obligations with a friend, family member or partner.
How much does a Kiwibank personal loan cost?
If you apply for a Kiwibank personal loan, you may be charged a loan establishment fee of $240.
Other fees you may incur include:
- Late payment fee of $35
- Cash payment handling fee of $1.50
How to apply for a loan from Kiwibank
If you’re ready to start your application, you can click the “Apply now” link at Kiwibank’s website.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a stable income
- Be a NZ citizen or permanent resident
Information and documentation
When you apply, you will be asked to provide the following:
- Identification – either your New Zealand driver’s licence or your passport
- Your income details and employment information
- Your rent or mortgage payments
- Details about any money you currently owe including credit cards, loans and overdrafts
- Your email address
Once you have submitted your application, you can expect for someone to get back to you within 24 hours. This excludes Sundays and in some cases, it may take a little longer.
What other products does Kiwibank offer?
- Accounts. Transactional and savings accounts with special options for kids, students and graduates.
- Credit cards. Earn Air New Zealand Airpoints or opt for a low interest-rate card with up to 55 interest free days on purchases.
- Home loans. Mortgage options to suit first home buyers, builders and property investors.
- Investments. Earn interest by putting your savings into a term deposit or managed fund.
- Insurance. Kiwibank has insurance policies for house, contents, car, and life and living.
With a Kiwibank personal loan you can borrow between $10,000 and $70,000 with loan terms from 6 months to 7 years. Highlights include no charges for additional repayments, minimal fees and a quick online application process. If this loan is right for you, visit Kiwibank’s website to start your application.
Compare alternative personal loans
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.