Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa
Kiwibank’s fastest way to earn Airpoints Dollars and Status Points, with built-in overseas travel insurance.
Even though the Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa has a higher account fee, it’s packed with benefits so you can be rewarded the more you spend. You’ll earn Airpoints Dollars faster than with any other Kiwibank Airpoints card plus you’ll accrue Status Points so you can move up the membership ranks with Air New Zealand’s frequent flyer programme.
|Product Name||Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||20.95% p.a.|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 44 days on purchases|
|Min credit limit||$8,000|
|Minimum Monthly Payment||5% of transaction value or $10, whichever is greater|
|Late Payment Fee||$5|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||Yes|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
Benefits of the Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa
- Earn Airpoints Dollars. For every $85 of eligible spend, you earn 1 Airpoints Dollar. With other Kiwibank cards, you need to spend between $120-$160 to get the same. You also get 1 Airpoints Dollar for every $65 you spend directly with Air New Zealand.
- Status Points. You earn 1 Status Point for every $200 of eligible spend on your Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa. As you gain more Status Points, you move up the membership tiers with Air New Zealand and reap more rewards.
- Travel insurance. Get overseas travel insurance for up to 40 days at a time for you, your spouse and dependent children when you use your card for prepaid flights, accommodation, rental car or tours.
- Transfer your balance. You may be able to transfer your balance from another card and pay 1.99% p.a. interest for 6 months.
- Lounge vouchers. When you spend a minimum of $30,000 in 12 months, you qualify for two Air New Zealand lounge vouchers. Up to a maximum of four vouchers a year.
- Koru Membership. If you want to join the Koru programme for benefits when you travel, you won’t pay a joining fee, and you receive a discount of $145 on the annual fee.
- Monthly prize draws. Each month you make purchases using your card, you go in the draw to win prizes of either 1,500 Airpoints Dollars or 100 Airpoints Dollars.
- No Airpoints Dollars expiry. Your Airpoints Dollars don’t expire, as long as you are the primary cardholder with a current card.
- Buy additional Airpoints Dollars. If you don’t have enough Airpoints Dollars for the reward you would like, you can buy up to 200 additional Airpoints Dollars online.
- Visa Concierge. Get help with restaurant and entertainment bookings plus travel coordination wherever you are in the world.
- Visa Offers and Perks. Take a look at the Visa website to discover discounts on entertainment, eating out and much more.
Features of the Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa
- Interest rate. The Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa comes with an interest rate of 20.95% p.a. for both purchases and cash advances.
- Credit limit. This card has a minimum credit limit of $8,000.
- Account fee. Every 6 months, you are charged an account fee of $75.
- Interest-free days. Enjoy up to 44 days interest-free when you pay off your credit card balance in full each month.
How to apply
Before applying for the Kiwibank Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa, make sure that you are comfortable with its minimum credit limit of $8,000, the interest rate and account fee.
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can visit your local branch or fill in an application form online. Once you submit your form, you can expect to hear back from Kiwibank within 1-3 working days.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Have a good credit history and agree to a credit check
Kiwibank asks you to share your RealMe details so that they can check your identity. If you are not set up on RealMe, you can use ID Checker if you have a smartphone, or you need to have your documents verified at a Kiwibank branch. You should take your passport or your driver’s licence and a bank card with your name and signature on it, plus a bank statement, government letter or utility bill as proof of address.
You also need to prove your income, but Kiwibank will advise you on what documentation you need to do this.
The bottom line
Kiwibank’s Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum Visa is its highest-earning Airpoints card, with 1 Airpoints Dollar for every $85 of eligible spend. It also has premium credit card benefits such as travel insurance, discounted Koru lounge membership and concierge services. However, this means the card does come with a higher annual fee of $150 per year and a higher purchase interest rate of 20.95% p.a., so before you make a decision, ensure you investigate your other credit card options.