Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Jarden Direct Share Trading review
Jarden Direct lets you invest in NZ, Australian, US and UK shares through a user-friendly trading platform.
Direct Broking is now Jarden Direct, a DIY investment platform for Kiwis. It offers easy access to shares, ETFs and bonds on the NZX, ASX, and US and UK markets, allowing you to trade from your desktop or mobile device.
Keep reading to find out more about Jarden Direct’s fees, safety, key features, and pros and cons.
|Type of broker||Online|
|Available Markets||US, NZ, AU, Funds with exposure to multiple markets|
|Standard brokerage||NZ Shares: NZ$29.90|
AU Shares: AU$29.00
- User-friendly trading
- Access to NZX, ASX, US and UK shares
- Earning interest on your account balance
- Free market research and real-time data
- No ongoing account fees
Not so good for
- Fees on smaller trades
- No mobile trading app
- Trading costs for international trades
Why invest with Jarden Direct?
Jarden Direct, formerly Direct Broking, is a DIY trading platform for Kiwi investors. It offers brokerage of $29.90 on NZX trades, but is also worth considering if you want to trade stocks on overseas markets.
The Jarden Direct platform is suitable for beginner investors, but its pricing structure means it’s better suited to people placing large trades rather than small-scale investors. Jarden Direct also provides access to free real-time market data and a multi-currency interest-bearing cash account.
As part of an alliance with ANZ Bank New Zealand, ANZ customers can sign up for a Jarden Direct account if they want to invest in shares.
What accounts are available?
Jarden Direct offers the following account types:
Tools and features of Jarden Direct
Jarden Direct offers access to a range of tools and resources to help inform your trading decisions. These include:
- Real-time data. Real-time data, including market depth, is provided free to Jarden Direct account holders.
- Market research. Through a partnership with Shareclarity, Jarden Direct offers free access to research on more than 270 companies and market research from Shareclarity financial analysts.
- Multi-currency cash account. You’re automatically issued with a multi-currency cash account when you join Jarden Direct. This account allows you to hold funds in NZD and 11 other currencies, making it easier to buy and sell shares on overseas stock exchanges.
- Interest-earning capability. You can also earn interest on the NZD balance in your Jarden Direct cash account. The interest rate varies depending on the size of your balance, so check the Jarden Direct website for the latest rates.
- Portfolio viewer. Your Jarden Direct portfolio details update in real time, making it easy to keep track of the current state of your investments. There’s also a “scenario planner” feature that lets you set investment goals, track your progress and assess how your decisions affect your portfolio.
- Watchlists. You can set up personalised watchlists to keep an eye on current and future investments.
- Customised news and insights. Your newsfeed is tailored to your needs based on your Jarden Direct investment portfolio and any watchlists you create. Market news and insights are provided by Jarden and Shareclarity.
Which markets can I invest in?
Jarden Direct provides access to the NZX along with Australian, US and UK markets. You can use your Jarden Direct account to invest in the following products:
- Shares. You can buy and sell shares on the NZX, ASX, New York Stock Exchange, NASDAQ and London Stock Exchange.
- ETFs. Exchange-traded funds are available on New Zealand, Australian, UK and US markets.
- Bonds. Jarden Direct offers access to a range of listed and unlisted fixed interest securities, including corporate and bank bonds, as well as NZ government bonds.
Is Jarden Direct trustworthy?
Jarden Direct is a well-known company, and is owned and operated by Jarden Securities Limited (Jarden). Jarden is a New Zealand-owned full-service share broking and investment advisory group with offices in New Zealand and Australia. Its headquarters are located in Auckland.
To keep your funds safe, your NZ investments are held by FNZ as a bare trustee. For international investments, Citibank holds all custody investments on behalf of Jarden Direct as a bare trustee.
The funds in your Jarden Direct multi-currency cash account are also held in a pooled segregated trust account at ANZ Bank.
What are Jarden Direct’s fees?
Jarden Direct’s trading fees vary depending on the market, how you fund your trade, and whether you trade online or over the phone. Brokerage for NZX trades starts at $29.90 per trade.
Check out the full pricing structure in the tables below.
New Zealand shares
|Funding method||Fee for online trades||Fee for phone trades|
|Pre-funded with Jarden Direct cash account||NZ$29.90 per trade for trades up to NZ$15,000; plus 0.20% for the portion of the trade value exceeding NZ$15,000||NZ$35.50 per trade or 0.80% of trade value, whichever is greater|
|Post-trade funded||NZ$29.90 per trade plus 0.30%|
|Pre-arranged direct debit||NZ$29.50 per trade or 0.30% of trade value, whichever is greater|
|Funding method||Fee for online trades||Fee for phone trades|
|Pre-funded with Jarden Direct cash account||AU$29 per trade for trades up to AU$30,000; plus 0.30% for the portion of the trade value exceeding AU$30,000||Greater of AU$40 per trade or 0.70% of trade value up to AU$30,000; plus 0.50% for the portion of the trade value exceeding AU$30,000|
|Post-trade funded||AU$40 per trade or 0.70% of trade value, whichever is greater|
|Pre-arranged direct debit||AU$29.50 per trade or 0.30% of trade value, whichever is greater|
The following brokerage fees apply to custodial trading of US and UK securities both online and over the phone:
- US trading: US$69.50 or 0.60% of trade value, whichever is greater
- UK trading: £69.50 or 0.60% of trade value, whichever is greater
Custodial fees of 0.25% per annum of total holdings in custody also apply, with a minimum fee of $5 per month.
Exchange rates apply when you transfer funds between currencies in your Jarden Direct cash account. A margin of up to 1.50% is applied, with a current margin of 0.89%.
Finally, fees apply to bond trading too, so check with Jarden Direct for full pricing details.
How do I sign up?
You can sign up with Jarden Direct by completing the following simple steps:
- Head to the Jarden Direct website and click “Get started”.
- Choose the type of account you want to open – this will be Individual and Joint for most people, but Company, Trust and Minor accounts are also available.
- Enter your email address and create a password.
- Choose your 2-factor authentication security method (authenticator app or text message) and set it up.
- Select an Individual or Joint account.
- Provide your name, date of birth and tax details.
- Verify your identity online using your driver’s licence or passport.
- Provide your bank account details, Common Shareholder Number (if you have one) and details of your investment plans.
- Review all information and submit your application.
How do I contact Jarden Direct support?
If you need help with your account or a trade, you can contact Jarden Direct’s customer support team via:
- Phone (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 6pm)
There’s also an online help centre where you can find information about account features and answers to FAQs.
Jarden Direct is a user-friendly option for DIY share investors and provides easy access to the NZX and major overseas markets. Access to real-time data and the ability to earn interest on your account balance are also handy inclusions.
However, Jarden Direct’s minimum NZX brokerage fee of $29.90 means it won’t be the most affordable option for all traders. Particularly if you’re only investing small amounts, you may want to see how Jarden Direct stacks up against a low-brokerage platform such as Sharesies.
Ultimately, be sure to research a wide range of share trading platforms before deciding which one is the best fit for you.
Compare Jarden Direct with other brokers
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.