Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Invest in renewable energy stocks
Start here if you want to buy shares in sustainable energy companies.
As populations grow and resources become strained, renewable energy is now a major priority of governments around the world. New Zealand is fortunate to have plentiful renewable energy resources such as hydro, geothermal and wind. For countries such as Australia, China and India, where electricity is largely generated from high carbon-emitting coal, the future of renewable energy is perhaps more important than ever.
If you’re looking to invest in companies that support the growth of sustainable energy sources, you can start here.
How do I invest in renewable energy?
There are several categories of renewable energy including hydroelectric, wind power, biomass, geothermal and solar power. Some include nuclear energy to that list, despite its controversy. Below is a list of ways that you can invest in companies that support renewable energy.
- NZX renewable energy stocks. You can buy shares in renewable energy companies that are listed on the New Zealand share market.
- International stocks. Some of the biggest renewable energy companies are listed on stock exchanges in overseas markets such as the US or Canada. Access these through a broker that offers global stocks.
- Sustainability ETFs. ETFs contain a bundle of stocks, usually hundreds, and these often track an index of stocks. The renewables sector is still very small in Australia so there are few options to date for renewable energy ETFs on the ASX. There are many to choose from on global exchanges. Learn more about ETFs.
- Micro investing. Some platforms such as Stake and Sharesies offer micro investing that may support renewable energy companies.
How do I buy renewable energy stocks?
- Choose a share trading platform. If you’re a beginner, our table below can help you choose.
- Open your account. You’ll need your ID, bank details and IRD number.
- Confirm your payment details. You’ll need to fund your account with a bank transfer, debit card or credit card.
- Find the shares you want to buy. Search the platform and buy your shares. It’s that simple.
Compare trading platforms to buy renewable energy stocks
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Why invest in renewable energy?
In the last century, we’ve come to rely on fossil fuels to create electricity, power our vehicles and drive manufacturing. But overwhelming evidence says the extraction and use of coal, oil and gas are causing irreversible environmental damage and global warming. Fossil fuels are also finite – over time we’ll be forced to rely on alternative energy sources, regardless of our environmental views.
With the world’s population expected to reach almost 10 billion by 2050, both environmental constraints and limited fuel and water supply (used in mining) will increase our need for renewable and clean energy sources. For these reasons, investing in renewable energy makes both environmental and money sense.
More guides on Finder
How to buy BITO ETF units | $40.58
ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF is the first fund tied to the value of a cryptocurrency to trade on the major U.S. markets. Here’s how to invest if you’re in New Zealand.
A beginner’s guide to cryptocurrency ETFs
If you’re looking for ways to gain exposure to bitcoin and other digital currencies, cryptocurrency ETFs could be worth exploring. Find out what crypto ETFs are and how they work in this introductory guide.
Best performing New Zealand shares
We present the 10 best performing shares on the NZX over the last 3 months and show you how you can invest in them.
How to invest in fractional shares
Fractional shares are fractions of company shares. Sometimes they’re made by brokers to allow those with limited funds to get access to stocks.
How to buy 23andMe shares (ME)
Want to buy shares in 23andMe? Here’s how you can buy ME shares from New Zealand.
Why did the Coca Cola (NYSE:KO) share price drop?
Shares in the beverage maker had lifted nearly 15% since February.
How to buy Tower shares (TWR)
Your easy-to-follow guide to buying Tower shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to buy My Food Bag shares (MFB)
Are you a novice investor who wants to buy My Food Bag (MFB) shares on the NZX. We’ll show you how here.
How to buy DGL Group shares (DGC)
If you want to buy DGL Group shares but don’t know how, this guide offers simple, step-by-step instructions.
How to buy Sanford shares (SAN)
Your simple, step-by-step guide to buying Sanford shares on the NZX.
Ask an Expert