Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Invest in renewable energy stocks
Start here if you want to buy shares in sustainable energy companies.
As populations grow and resources become strained, renewable energy is now a major priority of governments around the world. New Zealand is fortunate to have plentiful renewable energy resources such as hydro, geothermal and wind. For countries such as Australia, China and India, where electricity is largely generated from high carbon-emitting coal, the future of renewable energy is perhaps more important than ever.
If you’re looking to invest in companies that support the growth of sustainable energy sources, you can start here.
How do I invest in renewable energy?
There are several categories of renewable energy including hydroelectric, wind power, biomass, geothermal and solar power. Some include nuclear energy to that list, despite its controversy. Below is a list of ways that you can invest in companies that support renewable energy.
- NZX renewable energy stocks. You can buy shares in renewable energy companies that are listed on the New Zealand share market.
- International stocks. Some of the biggest renewable energy companies are listed on stock exchanges in overseas markets such as the US or Canada. Access these through a broker that offers global stocks.
- Sustainability ETFs. ETFs contain a bundle of stocks, usually hundreds, and these often track an index of stocks. The renewables sector is still very small in Australia so there are few options to date for renewable energy ETFs on the ASX. There are many to choose from on global exchanges. Learn more about ETFs.
- Micro investing. Some platforms such as Stake and Sharesies offer micro investing that may support renewable energy companies.
How do I buy renewable energy stocks?
- Choose a share trading platform. If you’re a beginner, our table below can help you choose.
- Open your account. You’ll need your ID, bank details and IRD number.
- Confirm your payment details. You’ll need to fund your account with a bank transfer, debit card or credit card.
- Find the shares you want to buy. Search the platform and buy your shares. It’s that simple.
Compare trading platforms to buy renewable energy stocks
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Why invest in renewable energy?
In the last century, we’ve come to rely on fossil fuels to create electricity, power our vehicles and drive manufacturing. But overwhelming evidence says the extraction and use of coal, oil and gas are causing irreversible environmental damage and global warming. Fossil fuels are also finite – over time we’ll be forced to rely on alternative energy sources, regardless of our environmental views.
With the world’s population expected to reach almost 10 billion by 2050, both environmental constraints and limited fuel and water supply (used in mining) will increase our need for renewable and clean energy sources. For these reasons, investing in renewable energy makes both environmental and money sense.
More guides on Finder
How to buy ARK Invest ETFs
If you want to invest in ARK Invest ETFs, we’ll show you how in this simple guide.
Investing in biotech stocks
What to consider before you invest in biotechnology companies.
Artificial intelligence stocks
You might think that AI is just something you’ve seen in sci-fi movies, but it’s slowly working its way into our day to day lives. Find out how you can invest in it.
How to buy Robinhood stock when it goes public
Here’s everything we know so far about the Robinhood IPO.
How to buy Briscoe Group shares (BGP)
Step-by-step instructions to help you invest in Briscoe Group shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to buy Tilt Renewables shares (TLT)
Your simple, step-by-step guide on how to buy TLT shares on the NZX.
How to buy Pacific Edge shares (PEB)
Your easy-to-understand guide to buying Pacific Edge shares on the NZX.
How to buy Mercury shares (MCY)
Your simple, step-by-step guide to investing in Mercury shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to buy Comvita shares (CVT)
Step-by-step instructions on how to buy Comvita shares on the NZX.
How to buy Rocket Lab stock when it goes public
Everything we know about the Rocket Lab IPO, plus how to buy in.
Ask an Expert