How to send money to Timor-Leste
Here's how you can send affordable money transfers from New Zealand to Timor-Leste.
Sending money from New Zealand to Timor-Leste doesn’t have to be a difficult process.
On this page, you can compare the rates between transfer companies and learn how to pick up cash with ease.
Compare money transfer companies to Timor-Leste
How do I send money to Timor-Leste?
There are currently only a few providers that offer money transfers to Timor-Leste, and none allow funds to be transferred directly into the recipient’s bank account. The money will have to be picked up at a physical location.
Both MoneyGram and Western Union provide transfers to Timor-Lest. MoneyGram allows you to do so online, but Western Union requires you to send money in-person at a storefront.Back to top
What’s the difference between transfer companies?
When you’re sending money to Timor-Leste, be sure you compare the transfer services of each company to be sure you’re getting the best rates.
- Transfer fees. It pays to check how much you’ll have to pay per transaction before signing up for an account with a transfer provider.
- Transfer methods. Every company differs in the ways it allows you to send money. If it matters to you, check if they do transfers online, over the phone, via a mobile app and/or by visiting a branch.
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later (a forward contract)? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. Check to see how long the company will take to deliver the money to the recipient. Processing times vary from a few minutes to five business days or more.
- Transfer limits. Some companies impose minimum and maximum transaction limits, so check to see if these limits will affect you.
- Customer service. Are phone, email and live online chat available? How quickly will the customer support team answer any questions you have?
What’s a same currency transfer?The process of sending money to Timor-Leste is much simpler than with other countries because the national currency is the USD.
What are my options for sending money to Timor-Leste from New Zealand?
- Specialist transfer companies. Dedicated online transfer companies provide fast and cost-effective international transactions.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. Search online to see if a cash pickup transfer company has convenient locations in Timor-Leste for your recipient.
- Bank transfers. Ask for a quote from your bank so you can get an idea of the exchange rate you will receive and the fee you will have to pay to send money to Timor-Leste.
- International guaranteed checks. Another option, although a little time-consuming, is to obtain an international check from your bank and mail it to your recipient overseas.Back to top
How do I send money to Timor-Leste?
The transfer method you must follow will vary depending on the transfer provider you choose, but you will generally need to:
- Find a transfer service. Before you settle on a transfer service, be sure to compare your options based on how fast you need to send the money and how much it will cost you.
- Sign up for an account. Click the Go to Site button and create an account with the company.This is usually free to do, but you’ll need to supply your name, contact details and ID.
- Provide your transaction details. You’ll need to specify where you are sending the money, how much you are sending and who will be receiving the funds.
- Complete your transfer. You can then submit your transfer after reviewing the exchange rate you will receive and the transaction fee you will need to pay.
- Track your progress. Most providers will then give you a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your funds.
Quick cash transfers to Timor-Leste
If you need to quickly send a cash transfer to Timor-Leste, be prepared to pay more than you would for a normal transaction. Higher transfer fees and lower exchange rates are par for the course with quick transfers, so it’s always a good idea to review the transaction details before you send any money.
Tips for picking up cash in Timor-Leste
It is recommended to exercise a high degree of caution, so take care when collecting cash from a transfer agent. Confirm the agent’s location in an area you know to be safe and opening hours before visiting. Take a friend along rather than going up by yourself, and make sure not to display your cash in public, which can make you an easy target for thieves.Back to top
Read more on this topic
Remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
How to send money to Gabon Compare Gabon money transfer services to find a better deal.
Send money to the Balkans Find out how you can send money cheaply and quickly to the Balkans.
OrbitRemit international money transfers Take a look at OrbitRemit and see if it suits your money transfer needs.
Send money to Cameroon Compare your options before sending money to Cameroon to see if you can save on your next transfer.
Send money to China How to send money to China from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert New Zealand currency into Egyptian pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from New Zealand without delay.
Send money to India How to send money to India from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
Ask an Expert