Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Tajikistan
Find competitive exchange rates and flexible transfer methods when you need to send money to Tajikistan.
Sending money from New Zealand to Tajikistan may not be as difficult as you think. Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the options available to you to get the most Tajikistani somonis for your dollar. Just be sure to do your research and shop around for the best deal.
Compare International Money Transfers
Banks vs. money transfer services
Banks may be useful for sending some highly-traded currencies, but you’ll find that many don’t work with an exotic currency like the somoni. This means you’ll be out of luck if you were hoping to make a money transfer through your bank.
But that doesn’t mean you don’t have options. You may be able to find money transfer companies that can send money to Tajikistan. Your exchange rate and the fees you pay will vary by provider, but in general, it will be cheaper than the rates you might have gotten from your bank.
Options for sending money to Tajikistan from New Zealand
- Bank transfers. You may be able to find a bank that can send money to a Tajikistani account, but it will be difficult and likely cost you extra in fees.
- Online money transfer providers. Often cheaper than banks, money transfer providers still may not be the best choice if your recipient lacks a bank account.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. Western Union and MoneyGram both have agent locations in Tajikistan, which means your recipient will be able to pick up their money in cash.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is the method used by banks and international companies to determine how much currencies are worth when traded with one another. The actual amount depends on various economic factors like inflation and interest rates, which can impact the exchange rate you’re given by a money transfer service.
What are the steps to send money to Tajikistan?
- Find a money transfer provider that can send money to Tajikistan.
- Register with the provider and start a transaction.
- Supply your recipient’s information and enter how much you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer and save your tracking number.
You can keep tabs on the progress of your transfer by using your tracking number. If you run into any trouble, it can also be used to help you work with customer service to sort out problems.
Emergency cash transfers in Tajikistan
If you ever have to send an emergency transfer, perhaps to help out a family member in desperate need of cash, you may need to work with a service like MoneyGram or Western Union to quickly get a cash transfer to your recipient. You’ll need to be prepared to pay extra for the service, so it’s always a good idea to make sure you know all the details of a transaction before you hand over your money. Higher fees and lower exchange rates are common features of emergency transfers, so don’t be surprised if you have to pay a little bit more.
Tips for picking up cash in Tajikistan
- Only visit a transfer agent in an area you know to be safe.
- Phone ahead to confirm when an agent will be open.
- Don’t travel alone if possible; take a friend.
- Don’t flash your cash in public and attract unwanted attention.
- Avoid carrying large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
You may have some limited options when it comes to sending money to Tajikistan, but there are still ways you can send money to your recipient. By comparing your rates, you can get the money your recipient needs without spending too much on fees and sacrificing good exchange rates. Read our international money transfer guide to better understand the process and learn more ways you can send money to Tajikistan.
More guides on Finder
Kraken vs Coinbase
We compare the key differences between two of the most popular cryptocurrency exchanges in terms of fees, features, customer support and more.
Checklist for moving to Australia
Take the headache out of migration with these checklists and have a smart, stress free move.
Migrant banking: Opening a bank account in Australia
Having an Australian bank account is crucial in order to access and manage your funds in your new home country.
How to buy Briscoe Group shares (BGP)
Step-by-step instructions to help you invest in Briscoe Group shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to buy Mercury shares (MCY)
Your simple, step-by-step guide to investing in Mercury shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
A snapshot of women and money in 2021
From investing to property, Finder takes a closer look at women and their finances as part of International Women’s Day.
How to buy Coinbase (COIN) shares
Here’s how you can invest in the popular cryptocurrency exchange platform.
How to buy Napier Port shares (NPH)
Your simple and straightforward guide to investing in Napier Port shares on the NZX.
How to buy Arvida shares (ARV)
We’ll show you what you need to do to buy Arvida shares on the New Zealand Stock Exchange.
How to buy Templeton Emerging Markets shares (TEM)
Simple, step-by-step instructions if you want to invest in TEM.
Ask an Expert