How to send money to Slovakia
Hunting around for the best exchange rates and lowest fees can save you money when you need to send an international money transfer to Slovakia.
Sending money from New Zealand to Slovakia doesn’t have to be a difficult process with expensive fees. Between banks and other money transfer services, you have plenty of options when you’re looking to exchange your dollars for euros. And by comparing the exchange rates, transfer fees and processing times between services, you could find a deal that saves you money.
Compare money transfer services to Slovakia
Banks vs. money transfer companies or services
Banks are a handy tool for most of our financial needs, but that doesn’t mean they’re perfect. When you want to send money to Slovakia, your first thought may be to visit your bank. And while banks can easily exchange dollars for euros and send it abroad to Slovakia, it likely won’t be the fastest choice. Banks are known for slow processing times, high fees and less favorable exchange rates.
Independent money transfer services, on the other hand, have begun to fill in the price gap. You can send money to Slovakia for a fraction of the cost of a bank transfer, and many have exchange rates close to market value. This means you’ll be sending near the maximum amount you can, which gets your recipient more while costing you less. If you’re frustrated by high fees to make a transfer, then these are certainly worth considering.
Foreign exchange rates explainedBanks and other money transfer providers use exchange rate to determine how much a currency is worth in the currency of another country. A strong currency will yield more when exchanged for a weak currency, and because the euro is strong against the dollar, you’ll be sending cents on the dollar.
How can I send money to Slovakia from New Zealand?
- Bank transfers. Bank-to-bank transfers may cost more than other options, but they are a secure way to send money to Slovakia.
- Online money transfer providers. A reliable online money transfer company can offer fast and cost-effective transactions. You may also be able to get a better exchange rate.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. MoneyGram and Western Union are the world’s two largest providers of this service. Both have multiple agent locations throughout Slovakia.
- Checks. International checks are an old-fashioned way to send money and are often the slowest method, but they can be still be used to send money to Slovakia.
What are the steps to send money to Slovakia?
Although different companies have different procedures you must follow when sending a transfer, you will generally have to complete the following steps to send money to Slovakia:
- Compare providers. Check out our list of money transfer providers and compare their rates and fees against your bank to find out which offers the best deal.
- Register for an account. If you choose a money transfer provider, click Go to site to create an account. You’ll need to provide your contact details, proof of ID and some bank account information.
- Enter your transaction details. Start a transfer. You’ll need to enter how much money you’re sending, what currency you’re sending, where you’re sending the funds to and the contact details of your recipient.
- Confirm your transaction. Confirm and pay for your transfer. Keep any transaction reference number you receive so that you can check on the status of your transfer. If your recipient is picking up cash, they will likely need this number to complete everything on their end.
Same-day cash transfers in Slovakia
Same-day cash transfers are definitely possible when you’re sending money to Slovakia. Services like XE and WorldRemit both offer transfers that process in a day, and with careful research, you may be able to find other services that offer similar. However, you’ll need to be prepared to face less optimal exchange rates and higher fees when you choose this route. It will likely cost more on your end and yield less for your recipient, so unless you’re sure you need the transfer to be quick, it might be a better idea to wait for normal processing times.
Tips for picking up cash in Slovakia
Collecting cash can be a risky move no matter where you live. If your recipient is visiting an agent location to complete their transfer, share these tips to keep them safe from theft,
- Avoid areas that are known to have higher crime rates.
- Bring a friend to collect the money with you.
- Keep your money concealed and avoid taking out large amounts in public.
- Deposit your money into a bank account or safe as soon as possible.
Sending money to Slovakia doesn’t have to be a complicated or expensive process. Compare your options and choose a transfer option that saves you money on fees and allows you to send more euros for every dollar you spend. And if you’re still not sure about the process, reading over our guide to money transfers should help you understand your options better.
More guides on Finder
Review: Interactive Brokers online share trading broker
Interactive Brokers offers some of the lowest brokerage fees on the market, but there are caveats you need to be wary of.
HostMonster discount codes and coupons December 2020 | 30-day money-back guarantee
HostMonster offers affordable and reliable web hosting services for individuals and businesses. Save with our promos.
The Co-operative Bank Fair Rate credit card
Transfer an existing balance and pay 0% p.a. for 12 months, plus enjoy a low interest rate and account fee with The Co-operative Fair Rate card.
WorldFirst World Account for online sellers
Read our guide to the WorldFirst World Account for online sellers, including info on supported currencies, fees and how to open an account.
Review: PayPal for ecommerce sites
Learn about the pros and cons of using PayPal to convert your online seller profits into New Zealand dollars in this detailed review.
Review: Payoneer for online sellers
Read our guide to Payoneer and how it can help marketplace sellers save money when receiving international payments.
Selling on Shopify vs Etsy
This guide for online sellers compares Shopify and Etsy side by side to find out which platform is easiest to use and offers the best value for money.
10 ways to teach kids about money
Encourage healthy financial habits for the future with these tips on teaching kids about money.
OFX global currency account for online sellers review
Our in-depth review of the OFX global currency account for online sellers, including supported currencies, fees, exchange rates and registration.
Review: Moneycorp online seller account
Your detailed review of the Moneycorp multi-currency account for online sellers, which is compatible with 14 marketplaces and can hold GBP, EUR and USD.
Ask an Expert