Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Sierra Leone.
If you’re looking to send money to Sierra Leone, you should be prepared to compare your options. This exotic currency isn’t widely-traded, which means you’ll need to spend extra time finding a provider that can send money from New Zealand to your recipient in Sierra Leone. And once you do, be sure that you’re getting a good exchange rate and the fees aren’t too high so you can send as much as possible without being bogged down by extra costs.
Compare international money transfers to Sierra Leone
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
What are my options for sending money to Sierra Leone from New Zealand?
- Banks. Banks usually don’t send exotic currencies like the Sierra Leonean leone, but you may be able to find one that does make international transfers. If you do, check out its exchange rates and fees. Banks are known for having less favorable terms, so check these out before you complete a transfer.
- Non-banks. Money transfer companies such as Western Union and WorldRemit let you send money to Sierra Leone from New Zealand. You can use their services to transfer funds to a bank account or send money to a cash pickup location. You can also transfer funds via PayPal, provided both you and the recipient have PayPal accounts.
What are the steps to send money to Sierra Leone?
Although every provider will have a slightly different method of creating an account and starting a transfer, these steps should guide you through the basic process.
- Compare your money transfer options in the table above.
- Select Go to site when you’re ready to start a transaction.
- Create an account, enter information about your recipient and select how much you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer and save the tracking number.
You may also want to research other providers that send money to Sierra Leone to make sure you’re getting a good deal when you make a transfer.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is the way banks and other money transfer companies determine how much currencies are worth when traded with one another. Strong currencies like the New Zealand dollar generally yield more than weak currencies like the Sierra Leonean leone, which means you’ll be able to send more leone to your recipient for less money on your end.
Emergency cash transfers in Sierra Leone
If you need to make an emergency transfer, you’ll have to do your due diligence to make sure you aren’t losing out. Often, providers will charge higher fees and offer less favorable exchange rates when the transfer is made in under a day. Although possible, it can be costly for both you and your recipient. If they can wait a few days, it may be a better idea to make a normal transfer that will get more money into your recipient’s pocket and cost you less in terms of fees.
Tips for picking up cash in Sierra Leone
Picking up cash from a transfer agent in Sierra Leone? Follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Sierra Leone has dealt with years of strife. Because of this, there aren’t many options when you’re looking to send money from New Zealand to a recipient. However, you should still take the time to research money transfer companies that offer transfers. You may be able to find a good deal that gets plenty of money in your recipient’s pocket and doesn’t cost you too much in terms of fees.