How to send money to Papua New Guinea
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Papua New Guinea.
Sending money from New Zealand to Papua New Guinea doesn’t have to be a painful process that costs you tons of money. When you’re looking to exchange your New Zealand dollars for New Guinean kina, it pays to compare your money transfer options. You never know when you’ll find a great deal that can get your recipient extra money while also costing you less.
Compare money transfer services to Papua New Guinea
Banks versus money transfer companies
Banks are a standard for many of the widely-traded currencies like euros and dollars, but they can start getting expensive when you want to send money overseas to a smaller country like Papua New Guinea. In fact, some might not even have the option of converting your New Zealand dollars to New Guinean kinas. This means you’ll be out of luck if you rely solely on a bank to complete your transfer.
Instead, there are independent transfer companies like MoneyGram and OFX that allow you to send money to Papua New Guinea. And if you use a service like MoneyGram, your recipient can even pick up their funds within a day of you sending it. They tend to have smaller fees, better exchange rates and quicker turnaround, making them many people’s go-to choice when sending money from New Zealand to Papua New Guinea.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Papua New Guinea?
Because the Papua New Guinean kina is an exotic currency, you might have a tough time finding transfer companies that will send it. Once you do, take the time to compare your options and find the best option for you.
- Flexible options. Does the company offer a forward contract that allows you to lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later? Does it offer limit orders, which allow you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met?
- Exchange rates. Does the company offer better exchange rates than its competitors?
- Transaction fees. How much will you need to pay in fees each time you send money to Papua New Guinea? Can you avoid fees by sending large transfer amounts?
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers in a branch or online? What about over the phone or through a mobile app?
- Transfer time. How long will it take until the funds you send make it into your recipient’s bank account or wallet?
- Minimum transfer amounts. If the company imposes minimum or maximum transfer limits, will these have an impact on your transfer needs?
- Pickup options. Can your beneficiary collect the funds from a cash pickup location? Or will the money be deposited straight into their bank account?
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is used to determine how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. The New Zealand dollar is a strong currency, meaning it will yield more when exchanged for a weaker currency like the Papua New Guinean kina. This amount fluctuates daily based on inflation and interest rates, so checking back frequently can help you establish patterns that could save you money in the long run.
What are my options for sending money to Papua New Guinea?
- Money transfer providers. Online transfer providers such as OFX offer fast and affordable transfers.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are two world-renowned companies that offer this service.
- Bank transfers. Compare your bank’s exchange rates and fees with those from other transfer providers.
- International checks. International guaranteed checks are a safe but slow transfer method.
What are the steps to send money to Papua New Guinea?
Although the transfer method will differ according to the provider you select, in most cases you will need to
- Sign up for an account. You can often do this at no cost online by providing your name, full contact details and a valid form of photo ID.
- Enter transaction details. Provide details about how much money you’re sending, the currency you’re sending, and who will be receiving the funds.
- Pay for the transfer. You can then review the details of the transaction and submit a transfer request. Many providers offer online tracking services so you can monitor the progress of your funds.
Tips for picking up cash in Papua New Guinea
When you go to pick up cash from a transfer agent in Papua New Guinea, follow a few simple precautions to ensure that you stay safe. Don’t go alone to a transfer branch and only pick up cash in an area where you feel safe. Don’t display the cash in front of strangers and make sure to deposit it somewhere safe as soon as possible. These quick tips should help you minimize risk, but always be aware of your surroundings when carrying large amounts of cash between a pickup location and your home or bank.
More guides on Finder
What is the S&P 500 and how can I invest in it from New Zealand?
Find out the different ways you can invest in the S&P 500 index from New Zealand.
WorldFirst World Account for online sellers
Read our guide to the WorldFirst World Account for online sellers, including info on supported currencies, fees and how to open an account.
Review: Payoneer for online sellers
Read our guide to Payoneer and how it can help marketplace sellers save money when receiving international payments.
OFX global currency account for online sellers review
Our in-depth review of the OFX global currency account for online sellers, including supported currencies, fees, exchange rates and registration.
How to sell on eBay (and make money)
The complete beginner’s guide to selling on eBay, including how to set up a store, eBay fees, shipping options and money-saving tips.
How to sell products on Amazon
The complete guide to setting up shop on Amazon and making money with the global retail giant.
Review: CurrencyTransfer account for online sellers
Learn more about CurrencyTransfer, a foreign exchange marketplace that could help your e-commerce business save on overseas payments.
Currencies Direct multi-currency account for online sellers
Your detailed guide to the Currencies Direct multi-currency account for online sellers, including exchange rates, fees, supported currencies and security.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
Limit orders: Definition, example and FAQs
Limit orders allow you to specify the exchange rate you want for an international money transfer.
Ask an Expert