Pakistan and New Zealand share more than a love of cricket.
There are thousands of Pakistani nationals who now call New Zealand home.
If you need to send money to Pakistan, whether for business or personal reasons, there are a couple of international money transfer providers (other than your bank) which you can use to carry out a transfer.
The transfer fee, exchange rate, collection options and more vary between providers. We compare the different services you can use to send money to Pakistan below.
Banks versus money transfer companies
You can see the main differences in features between a bank, an international cash payment service and an online money transfer company.
- If the provider quotes a different rate to the one above please let us know
You can find out the NZD to PKR exchange rate when you login to internet banking.
|Money Transfer Company 1||Money Transfer Company 2||Money Transfer Company 3|
|Exchange rate||$1 NZD = 67.7738219 PKR||$1 NZD = 69.4915 PKR||N/A|
|Transfer fee||$74.00 NZD||$ 7.62 NZD||$18.00 NZD|
|Amount received for $1000 NZD (in Pakistani rupees)||67773.82 PKR||68,962 PKR||N/A|
|Transfer time||Minutes||2 – 4 business days||2 – 4 business days|
|Transfer options||Cash collection||Bank account deposit||Bank account deposit|
|Difference of||+1188.18 PKR||N/A|
Correct: 3.00PM 21/02/16Back to top
Sending money to Pakistan? How to compare money transfer companies
Compare different quotes to send money to Pakistan by these features.
- The exchange rate. Which companies will let you send money to Pakistan and at what rate. If you’re a rate hunter, there are companies which can offer you a best rate guarantee.
- The transfer time. How quickly do you need to send money to Pakistan? The way you pay and the way you want the money collected determine the transfer time. Cash collection can be ready in minutes whereas bank account deposits can take a couple of days.
- The transfer fee. The cost of the transfer. International money transfer companies charge a fee for their service. Some providers waive the transfer fee for transactions over a specific amount, while others offer first transfer deals.
- Payment method. How do you want to pay for your transaction. In person cash payments, debit and credit card payments clear almost instantly. Transfers initiated via a bank transfer can add a couple of business days to the transfer time.
- Collection method. Will the payee collect cash or do you want to send the money to a bank account in Pakistan? While all providers will let you deposit funds in a Pakistani bank account, not all let you send a cash payment.
- Different services. Most providers offer spot transfers (on the spot international payments); however, not all companies let you book a forward contract, limit orders or make recurring payments.
- Limits. If you want to send less than $100 or more than $3,000 ensure you look out for the provider’s transfer limits.
- Customer service. Does the money transfer company have a local office you can call if you have a question about sending money to Pakistan?
How do I send money to Pakistan from New Zealand?
Send money to Pakistan using the international payment services of your bank or you can sign up for a free account with one of the other providers we compare on this page.
Bank account transfer
You can request your bank send money to Pakistan via international telegraphic transfer. To do so, you need to provide:
- the payee’s bank branch and name
- the payee’s SWIFT code
- the payee’s account number
- the payee’s account name
- the payee’s address.
Overseas money transfer company
These companies can send money to Pakistani bank account.
- Transferwise. Send money to Pakistan by bank account deposit or pay with your card. Transferwise is a peer-to-peer service, Transferwise exchange NZD to PKR to at the P2P market rate. A fee applies for payments under about $500.
International cash payment companies
Providers such as Western Union or Worldremit can send cash to collect in minutes as well as deposit funds into the recipient’s bank account.
- Worldremit. Worldremit offer a bank account deposit and instant cash international transfer service. Worldremit cash transfers can be collected at branches of the Pakistani bank, Allied Bank Limited.
- Western Union. Western Union have cash collection agents all throughout Pakistan. Western Union can send a cash payment to collect in minutes.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram are partnered with Pakistani banks and exchange offices. Money can be delivered to one of these agents in minutes.
How do I receive money from Pakistan in New Zealand?
You can find key information about how to receive a payment from Pakistan below.
Bank account deposit
To receive money from Pakistan in your bank account, provide the sender with the following information:
- Your full account name
- Your full account number
- Your bank name
- Your bank SWIFT code.
- Your IBAN, BSB or sort code (if required).
To receive a payment via PayPal, give the sender your email address or phone number so they can deposit funds into your PayPal account. You’ll need to transfer to the money to a linked bank account to access the cash.
If you’re collecting a cash payment from Pakistan, you’ll need to show photo identification as well the transaction reference number or unique password.Back to top
Emergency cash transfers in Nepal
Consider these options for getting emergency funds to Pakistan in a hurry.
- International cash payment company. Use the services of an international cash payment company like Western Union or MoneyGram to get cash to Pakistan in minutes. These companies charge can charge a hefty transfer fee for their speedy service.
- Card scheme emergency assist. If you lose your credit or debit card, card schemes such as Visa or MasterCard can issue the funds in your account as cash. This feature is designed to help cardholders in an emergency while a replacement card is issued.
- Travel insurance. Your travel insurance policy may include an emergency cash benefit for specific circumstances. Consult your policy’s product disclosure statement for information about access to emergency cash for covered events.
Cash pickup locations in Pakistan / Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Pakistan
This is a snapshot of different Western Union and MoneyGram agents in Pakistan’s 4 biggest cities. Western Union and MoneyGram are predominantly partnered with Pakistani banks.
- A H Enterprise
Office 1 1st Floorshahbaz Supercomplex, Goli Maar Chouranginazimabad 2, Karachi, Sindh, 74400Open Monday to Saturday 10.00AM to 6.00PM+92 21 8247303
- BFT Branch
Business Finance And Trade Tower II, Karachi, SindOpen Monday to Sunday 6.00AM to 11.00PM+92 21 32462448
- AA Exchange Company PVT LTD
Shop No. 15, P-16, Ground Floor Market, Sosan Road, Madina Tow, Faisalabad, Punjab Open Monday to Friday 9.00AM to 5.00PMOpen Saturday 9.00AM to 1.30PM+92 0413 472529
- Khurrianwala Post Office
Jand Wali Road, Faisalabad, Punjab, 37630Open Monday to Saturday 7.00AM to 9.00PM+92 041 4361566
- Tameer Bank
Main Ferozepur Road opposite UBL branch, Lahore.Open Monday to Thursday 8.30AM to 500PMOpen Friday to Sunday 12.00AM to 11.59PM
- MCB Bank Limited
New Alamgir Market, Lahore.Open Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 1.45PMOpen Saturday 10.00AM to 1.00PM
- Soneri Bank
Ground Floor CA, RawalpindiOpen Monday to Saturday 8.00AM to 6.00PM
- Sky Exchange Company
Office 20, First Floor Mall Plaza, The Mall, RawalpindiOpen Monday to Saturday 8.30AM to 9.00PMOpen 8.00AM to 6.00PM
Tips for picking up cash in Pakistan
The government advises to stay away from the Federally Administered Tribal Areas of Pakistan as well as the Pakistani Indian border. There is an extreme risk of terrorism in this area of the world and New Zealanders should reconsider the need to travel to these destinations. Violent crime against foreigners is common, including robbery and kidnapping.
Avoid traveling at night time and always carry identification in case you’re stopped by police. If you’re concerned about picking up cash, speak to your hotel to arrange an escort and a safe place to store the cash once collected. Make sure you call the merchant to make sure they have enough cash on hand if you’re collecting a large amount of money.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to Pakistan?
Depending on your chosen money transfer company, follow these steps to send money to Pakistan.
From your bank
Log on to your internet banking facility to send money to Pakistan via your bank. If this is your first payment, you need to create an international beneficiary first. Enter the payee’s details such as their bank account and personal details. The receiving bank may charge fees as well as your local bank. You can elect to have these fees deducted from the total amount sent to the payee or you can pay these fees upfront.
Using a money transfer company
You’ll need to create a free account to use the services of the companies we’ve mentioned on this page. This can be completed in a couple of minutes. Provide the following information about yourself to register for an account.
- Your personal details
- Contact details
- Your address
- Photo identification. You may need to send a copy of your passport or licence to verify your identity.
Once you’ve paid for your transfer, you’ll be issued with a tracking number which can be used to check on your status of your money transfer to Pakistan. If you have any questions about sending money to Pakistan, get in touch with us by asking a question using the form below.