How to send money to Nigeria
Find the best exchange rate and low fees when you send money to Nigeria from New Zealand.
The West African nation of Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the continent’s biggest economy. Despite Nigeria’s size, not all money transfer companies can send a payment to Nigeria and some may only be able to send US dollars.
If you need to send money to Nigeria, whether for personal or business reasons, compare the providers on this page so you can find a quote to send funds overseas, for the price and speed you want.
Compare ways to send money from New Zealand to Nigeria
Always make sure you’re sending money to someone you know. Despite being the butt of many jokes, the “Nigerian prince” scam is one that still happens often. This scam involves being contacted by someone requesting help in recovering a lot of money. This person may want you to give them your bank account information or money to pay the fees, with the promise that you’ll be rewarded later.
Never provide your financial information or send money to anybody you don’t know.
Banks versus money transfer companies
To send money to Nigeria, request a telegraphic transfer or direct debit from your bank or sign up for a free account with one of the money transfer companies on this page. Banks provide the NZD to NGN exchange rate when you request an international payment from online banking.
|Money transfer company 1 – Bank||Money transfer company 2 – WU|
|Exchange rate||N/A||NZD$ = NGN 127.8855188|
|Amount received for NZD$1,000 (in Nigerian Naira)||N/A||NGN127885.52|
|Transfer time||2 – 4 business days||Minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Cash collection|
Correct 18/02/16: 10.00AM
How do I compare transfer companies?
You can compare quotes to send money to Nigeria by considering the following features.
- Exchange rate. Which providers let you send a payment to Nigeria? Not all providers trade NZD and NGN. Next, look at the rate of exchange between the two currencies.
- Transfer fee. The fee for sending money to Nigeria. Some providers have first transfer free deals, other companies don’t charge a transfer fee at all.
- Transfer time. The time it takes to send money to Nigeria. The transfer time is based on how you pay and how the money is collected. Pay with your credit card or debit card for instant clearance.
- Collection options. All providers can send money to a bank account but not all companies can send money to Nigeria as cash. Bank account deposits take days, whereas cash transfers are available almost immediately.
- Payment options. How do you want to pay for your transfer? Your options include making a bank account deposit to the money transfer company, charging the transaction to your debit or credit card and you can even pay cash at a local Western Union or MoneyGram agent.
- Transfer options. Do you want more than just a spot payment service? Different providers specialise in forward contracts, limits orders and recurring payment services.
- Customer service. Can you call a New Zealand-based customer service team if you have a question about your transfer to NIgeria. Make sure you read the provider’s cancellation and refund policy.
- Transfer limits. Compare the provider’s transfer limits if you are looking to send a large or small amount.
Here is how you can send money to Nigeria using the different services we have listed on this page.
You need to log on to your internet banking facility and look for the international payments menu to send money to Nigeria. Your bank may require you to register for additional international payment services before you can send money overseas.
You will need the following information to make an international payment from your bank account.
- Bank and branch name
- SWIFT Code
- Account number
- The recipient’s account name and home address.
International cash payment service
Use Western Union or MoneyGram if you need to get cash to Nigeria in minutes. For a fee, these companies can send cash quickly. You can view a snapshot of Nigerian MoneyGram and Western Union agents farther down the page.
- Western Union. Western Union have a number of agents in Nigerian cities. Cash can be collected from one of these merchants (usually a bank) an instant after the transfer has been paid for.
- MoneyGram. Another major overseas cash delivery service, MoneyGram have a similar number of agents in Nigeria to Western Union.
- WorldRemit. WorldRemit can send a cash payment to Nigeria to various locations including Skye Bank.
You can receive funds in your bank account and collect cash from a Western Union or MoneyGram agent.
Receiving money in your bank account
If you are receiving funds in your bank account make sure you provide the sender with the following information.
- Your bank name and address
- Bank account number or IBAN
- Full name and address
New Zealand legislation requires the sender to provide the following information when making a payment to a NZ bank account:
- Their full name
- Bank account account number
- Business or residential address, or national identity number
- Their date, city and country of birth.
You will need to provide identification such as your passport, as well as the transaction reference number or password when you go to collect cash.
Provide your sender with your mobile number or email to receive a PayPal payment. You will need to transfer the money to a bank account or credit card to make a withdrawal.
Consider these options if you need to receive cash quickly in Nigeria.
International money transfer services
Western Union and MoneyGram are two companies with cash collection agents throughout Nigeria. A cash payment can be sent from New Zealand to collect from an agent in Nigeria in minutes.
Some travel insurance policies can include an emergency cash provision. Read the product disclosure statement for information about access to emergency cash and covered events.
Emergency cash assistance
Card providers such as Visa or MasterCard offer emergency cash assistance to cardholders. If you lose your card or it is stolen, you can apply to have the money in your account made available to collect as cash. This process can take about a day to clear if the card scheme’s customer service team and your New Zealand bank are open at the same time.
Western Union/MoneyGram branches in Nigeria
You can see a snapshot of the places you can find Western Union and MoneyGram agents in Nigeria below.
Access Bank PLC
47 Market Street
Open Monday to Friday, 7am–6pm
SKYE BANK YABA TECH CASH CENTR
Yaba College Of Technology Yab
Open Monday to Friday, 8am–4pm
Access Bank PLC
ACCESS BANK PLC
4 Iwo Road
By Idiape Junction
Beside Mr Biggs
Open Monday to Friday, 7am–6pm
First Bank of Nigeria PLC
New Gbagi Market Branch
Open Monday to Friday, 9am–6pm
Zenith Bank PLC – Kano – Kofar Ruwa Bran
Alongside Dala Orthopeadic Hospital Road
Adjacent to Alaj Petroleum
Open Monday to Friday, 8am–6pm
Unity Bank PLC – #239 – Kano – Kano City
No. 2 Durumin Iya Qtrs
Open Monday to Friday 8am–5pm
Eco Bank – NDA
Nigeria Defence Academy
Open Monday to Saturday, 8am–5pm
United Bank for Africa
Kano Bello 14B
Open Monday to Friday 8am–5pm
Safetravel.govt.nz advises against all travel to the North-Eastern and Delta states of Nigeria. Kidnapping, violent crime and civil unrest are common. There is a real threat of terrorism and a very high threat of kidnapping in these areas; and foreigners have been the targets of attacks in the past.
Carrying large amounts of cash and valuables is not advised. Travel blogs, government travel safety websites and hotel staff can advise on present dangers. Your hotel can also advise how to arrange an escort if you are picking up a large amount of cash.
Here is some information on the steps to take when sending money to Nigeria.
To send money from your bank account:
- Log on to your Internet banking facility and select the international transfers option.
- Select the recipient’s country and currency; and get a quote for the international transfer.
- Search the recipient’s bank, by entering the bank name of the SWIFT code. You will need to provide the following information:
- The beneficiary’s account name and address
- The beneficiary’s IBAN, bank name and SWIFT code.
- You also may be required to enter an online code. Some banks have an extra level of security for international payments. You may get the chance to print or save a copy of the transaction receipt for your records.
Using a money transfer company:
Register for a free account to use the services of the companies we have compared on this page. The registration process can be completed online, in 10 minutes. You will be asked to provide your:
- Personal details
- Contact details
- Identification documents.
Once you have paid for your transfer to Nigeria, you will be issued with a tracking number which can be used to check the status of your transaction.
Read more on this topic
Remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
How to send money to Gabon Compare Gabon money transfer services to find a better deal.
Send money to the Balkans Find out how you can send money cheaply and quickly to the Balkans.
OrbitRemit international money transfers Take a look at OrbitRemit and see if it suits your money transfer needs.
Send money to Cameroon Compare your options before sending money to Cameroon to see if you can save on your next transfer.
Send money to China How to send money to China from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert New Zealand currency into Egyptian pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from New Zealand without delay.
Send money to India How to send money to India from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
Ask an Expert