See which companies can help you send money to Nigeria.
The West African nation of Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa and the continent’s biggest economy.
Despite Nigeria’s size, not all money transfer companies can send a payment to Nigeria, and some may be able to only send US dollars.
If you need to send money to Nigeria, whether for personal or business reasons, compare the providers on this page to find yourself a quote to send funds overseas for the price and speed you want.
Banks versus money transfer companies
To send money to Nigeria, request a telegraphic transfer or direct debit from your bank or sign up for a free account with one of the money transfer companies on this page. Banks provide the NZD to NGN exchange rate when you request an international payment from online banking.
|Money transfer company 1 – Bank||Money transfer company 2 – WU|
|Exchange rate||N/A||$1 NZD = 127.8855188 NGN|
|Transfer fee||$20||$74.00 NZD|
|Amount received for $1,000 NZD (in Nigerian Naira)||N/A||127885.52 NGN|
|Transfer time||2 – 4 business days||Minutes|
|Transfer options||Bank account deposit||Cash collection|
Correct 18/02/16: 10.00AMBack to top
How do I compare transfer companies?
You can compare quotes to send money to Nigeria by the following features.
- Exchange rate. Which providers let you send a payment to Nigeria? Not all providers trade NZD and NGN. Next look at the rate of exchange between the two currencies.
- Transfer fee. The fee for sending money to Nigeria. Some providers have first transfer free deals, other companies don’t charge a transfer fee at all.
- Transfer time. The time it takes to send money to Nigeria. The transfer time is based on how you pay and how the money is collected. Pay with your credit card or debit card for instant clearance.
- Collection options. All providers can send money to a bank account but not all companies can send money to Nigeria as cash. Bank account deposits take days whereas cash transfers can be ready right away.
- Payment options. How do you want to pay for your transfer? Your options include making a bank account deposit to the money transfer company, charging the transaction to your debit or credit card and you can even pay cash at a local Western Union or MoneyGram agent.
- Transfer options. Do you want more than just a spot payment service? Different providers specialise in forward contracts, limits orders and recurring payment services.
- Customer service. Can you call a NZ based customer service team if you have a question about your transfer to NIgeria. Have a read of the provider’s cancellation and refund policy.
- Transfer limits. Compare the provider’s transfer limits if you’re looking to send a large or small amount.
How do I send money to Nigeria from New Zealand?
Here’s how you can send money to Nigeria using the different services we’ve listed on this page.
You need to login to your internet banking facility and look for the international payments menu to send money to Nigeria. Your bank may require you to register for additional international payment services before you can send money overseas.
You will need the following information to make an international payment from your bank account.
- Bank and branch name
- SWIFT Code
- Account number
- The payee’s account name and home address.
International cash payment service
Use Western Union or MoneyGram if you need to get cash to Nigeria in minutes. For a fee, these companies can send cash quickly. You can view a snapshot of Nigerian MoneyGram and Western Union agents further down the page.
- Western Union. Western Union have a number of agents in Nigerian cities. Cash can be collected from one of these merchants (usually a bank) an instant after the transfer has been paid for.
- MoneyGram. Another major overseas cash delivery service, MoneyGram have a similar number of agents in Nigeria to Western Union.
- Worldremit. Orbitremit can send a cash payment to Nigeria to collect at Sky Bank locations.
How do I receive a money from Nigeria in New Zealand?
You can receive funds in your bank account and you can collect cash from a Western Union or MoneyGram agent.
Receiving money in your bank account
if you’re receiving funds in your bank account provide the sender with the following information.
- Your bank name and address
- Your bank account number or IBAN
- Your name and address.
New Zealand legislation requires the sender to the provide the following information upon making a payment to a NZ bank account.
- The sender’s full name
- The sender’s account number
- The sender’s business or residential address, or national identity number
- The sender’s date, city and country of birth.
Provide identification such as your passport as well as the transaction reference number or password when you go to collect cash.
Give the sender your mobile number or email to receive a PayPal payment. You’ll need to transfer the money to a bank account or credit card to make a withdrawal.Back to top
Emergency cash transfers in Nigeria
Consider these options if you need to get fast cash in Nigeria.
International money transfer service
Western Union and MoneyGram are two companies with cash collection agents throughout Nigeria. A cash payment can be sent from New Zealand to collect from an agent in Nigeria in minutes.
Some travel insurance policies can include an emergency cash provision. Read the product disclosure statement for information about access to emergency cash and covered events.
Emergency cash assistance
Card providers such as Visa or MasterCard offer emergency cash assistance to cardholders. If you lose your card or it’s stolen, you can apply to have the money in your account made available to collect as cash. This process can take about a day to clear if the American card scheme customer service team and your New Zealand bank are open at the same time.Back to top
Cash pickup locations in NIgeria / Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Nigeria
You can see a snapshot of the places you can find Western Union and MoneyGram agents in Nigeria below.
- Access Bank PLC
Suite 87 116 Ikota Shopping Complex Bgc Lekki Pennisula, Lagos,Open Monday to Sunday 8.00AM to 5.00PM+234-012710012
- Diamond Bank PLC
Plot 64 Adeola Odeku Street Lagos, Lagos StateOpen Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 5.00PMOpen Saturday 8.00AM to 2.00PM+234-1-7947552
- Access Bank PLC
50 Fajuyi Road Ekotedo, Ibadan, IbadanOpen Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 5.00PM+234-2-2412885
- First Bank of Nigeria PLC
Molete Branch, 48 Challenge Molete Road, Ibadan, OyoOpen Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 5.00PM+234-1-2669681
- Zenith Bank PLC – Kano – Kofar Ruwa Bran
Along Dala Orthopedic Hopstil Road – Adjacent Alaj Petroleum, KanoOpen Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 6.00PM
- Unity Bank PLC – #239 – Kano – Kano City
No. 2 Durumin Iya Qtrs – beside PHCN, KanoOpen Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 5.00PM
- Eco Bank – NDA
Ribadu Barracks Nigera Defence Academy, KadunaOpen Monday to Saturday 8.00AM to 5.00PM
- United Bank for Africa
14B Road, Kano Bello 14B KanoOpen Monday to Friday 8.00AM to 5.00PM
Tips for picking up cash in Nigeria
Safetravel.govt.nz advises agaist all travel to the North-Eastern and Delta states of Nigera. Kidnapping, violent crime and civil unrest are common and foreigners have been the targets of attacks in the past.
Carrying large amounts of cash and valuables is not advised. Travel blogs, government travel safety websites and hotel staff can advise on present dangers. Your hotel can also advise how to arrange an escort if you’re picking up a large amount of cash.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to Nigeria
Here’s some information on the different steps to take to send money to Nigeria.
To send money from your bank account:
- Logon to your internet banking facility. Select the international transfers option.
- Select the payee’s country and currency and get a quote for the international transfer.
- Search the payee’s bank by entering the bank name of the SWIFT code. Provide the following information:
- The beneficiary’s account name and address
- The beneficiary’s IBAN, bank name and SWIFT code.
- You may also be required to enter an online code. Some banks have an extra level of security for international payments. You may also get the chance to print or save a copy of the transaction receipt for your records.
Using a money transfer company:
Register for a free account to use the services of the companies we’ve compared on this page. The registration process can be completed online and in under 10 minutes. You’re asked to provide your:
- Personal details
- Contact details
- Identification documents.
Once you’ve paid for your transfer to Nigeria, you will be issued with a tracking number which can be used to check the status of your transaction.
If you have any questions about how to send money to Nigeria or about the products listed on this page, get in touch with us using the form below.