Learn how to send money to the Netherlands with an international money transfer service.
The Netherlands is a popular destination for travellers the world over. And when you need to send money there, either to a visitor of the country or a loved one who lives there, you’ll want to find the best rates possible to keep transfer costs cheap. Since the Netherlands uses the euro, there are plenty of options to choose from when it’s time to send money from New Zealand. You’ll want to shop around to find a good deal.
Compare international money transfer services to the Netherlands
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to the Netherlands?
Pay attention to these factors when comparing your options.
- Exchange rates. How does each company’s exchange rate compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay to send the transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch and/or by using a mobile app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments, or does the company only provide one-off spot orders?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company, and will this affect the size of your transfers?
- Pick-up methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. What sort of customer support is offered and during what hours can you receive assistance?
Heidi compares money transfer companiesHeidi just moved from Almere to Auckland with her husband and her twin daughters. Her extended family still lives in the Netherlands, and Heidi is always on the look-out for cheaper, quicker ways to send money between the Netherlands and New Zealand. She usually relies on her bank, but she’s recently found a few good deals through money transfer companies and wants to compare them to see if she’ll get a better deal.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 NZD = 0.57 euros||$1 NZD = 0.57 euros|
|Amount received for $500||281 euros||270 euros|
|Transfer time||Within 3 business days||1 to 3 business days|
|Transfer options||Online transfer to bank account||Bank transfer|
Heidi saves $11 because she took the time to compare two online transfer services. While the turnaround time and exchange rate are the same, she was able to send more while paying a lower fee.
How can I send money to the Netherlands from New Zealand?
You can send money to the Netherlands via the following ways:
- Bank to bank. Bank-to-bank transfers may cost more than other options but they are a secure way to send money to the Netherlands.
- Online money transfer providers. A reliable online money transfer company can offer fast and cost-effective transactions.
- Money transfer companies with cash pick-up options. MoneyGram and Western Union are the world’s two largest providers of this service.
- PayPal. PayPal offers secure international money transfers to many destinations around the world.
- Cheques. International cheques can be obtained from New Zealand banks and then sent overseas.
What are the steps to send money to the Netherlands?
Depending on the service you choose, here’s how you go about sending money to the Netherlands:
- Compare your options and select a provider.
- Create an account with your chosen provider.
- Start a transaction and enter information about your recipient.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Save the tracking number to follow up on your transfer.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. Traditionally, the euro is stronger against the dollar. This means that for each dollar you spend, you’ll be sending less than a euro to your recipient. For example, in October 2018, the New Zealand dollar was worth approximately 57 euro cents. This amount can fluctuate from day to day, so check frequently to see if you can get a better deal when you’re sending money to the Netherlands.
Emergency cash transfers in the Netherlands
There are certain situations when you might need to send a transfer as quickly as possible. When you do need to send an emergency transfer, remember that you will usually have to pay extra in order to get your funds to your recipient ASAP. Make sure to check the exchange rate and fees that apply so you know exactly how much it will cost. Usually, you’ll have to pay high fees for a speedy transfer, and you’re unlikely to get a prime exchange rate for such short-notice transfers.
Tips for picking up cash in the Netherlands
In any country, picking up cash can be risky. In order to minimise the chance of theft, follow these simple steps.
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.