How to send money to Myanmar
Compare exchange rates and fees when you send money to Myanmar.
Compare wire transfer options to Myanmar
Use the international wire transfer calculator below to compare rates when you send money to Myanmar.
How to compare money transfer companies
- Exchange rates. Look at the exchange rates offered for turning New Zealand dollars into Myanmar kyats. Use the published mid-market rate as a baseline to compare against the rates you’re being offered. The company that’s closest is offering you the best rate.
- Fees. Before you complete your transfer, confirm how much you’ll have to pay in transfer fees. What you’ll pay sometimes varies by payment option.
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers online, or do you need to visit an agent location? Can you send your funds over the phone?
- Turnaround time. How long will you have to wait until your funds are available for your recipient? Processing times can vary depending by company and hours of operation at each cash pickup location.
- Minimum amount. Will you need to exceed a minimum transfer limit with each transaction?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. Is customer support available by phone, email or live chat, and are the hours convenient for your needs?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is used to determine how much one country’s currency is worth when trades for that of another country. A country with a strong currency — like New Zealand — will yield more money when exchanged with a weaker currency. This amount changes daily and is primarliy influenced by global economic stability and inflation between banks.
How to send money to Myanmar from New Zealand
- Western Union. Western Union operates an extensive branch network throughout Myanmar. You can initiate a transfer online or by visiting an agent location worldwide.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram has been offering its services in Myanmar since 2013. It offers 10-minute transfers that can be picked up from its locations throughout Myanmar.
What will I need to complete a transfer?
Before you can send an international money transfer to Myanmar, you will need to provide:
- Your name, contact information and proof of ID
- Your recipient’s name, address and contact information
- How much you want to send and how you want it picked up
Once you’ve completed the transfer on your end, keep your transaction reference number handy. You can use this to track the progress of your transfer and make sure your money gets into your recipient’s hands quickly.
Emergency cash transfers in Myanmar
If your recipient needs money quickly, then an emergency cash transfer may be able to help. Although there are limited money transfer options available for Myanmar, both MoneyGram and Western Union offer rapid transfers to Myanmar. Just remember to double-check the exchange rate and fee that apply to your transaction to make sure you’re completely aware of how much the transfer will cost.
Tips for picking up cash in Myanmar
- Don’t visit a transfer agent in an area where you don’t feel safe.
- Don’t pick up cash alone — if possible, ask a friend to accompany you.
- Keep your cash concealed and don’t flash it around in public.
- Avoid any high-crime areas.
- Don’t carry cash around for any longer than you need to.
- Immediately deposit the funds in your bank account.
More guides on Finder
Review: Interactive Brokers online share trading broker
Interactive Brokers offers some of the lowest brokerage fees on the market, but there are caveats you need to be wary of.
HostMonster discount codes and coupons November 2020 | 30-day money-back guarantee
HostMonster offers affordable and reliable web hosting services for individuals and businesses. Save with our promos.
The Co-operative Bank Fair Rate credit card
Transfer an existing balance and pay 0% p.a. for 12 months, plus enjoy a low interest rate and account fee with The Co-operative Fair Rate card.
ScotPac business finance review
Access business, trade or invoice finance for businesses of all sizes from ScotPac.
WorldFirst World Account for online sellers
Read our guide to the WorldFirst World Account for online sellers, including info on supported currencies, fees and how to open an account.
Review: Payoneer for online sellers
Read our guide to Payoneer and how it can help marketplace sellers save money when receiving international payments.
Selling on Shopify vs Etsy
This guide for online sellers compares Shopify and Etsy side by side to find out which platform is easiest to use and offers the best value for money.
10 ways to teach kids about money
Encourage healthy financial habits for the future with these tips on teaching kids about money.
20 top money tips for students
Be smart with your money while you get your qualification with these top student money tips.
OFX global currency account for online sellers review
Our in-depth review of the OFX global currency account for online sellers, including supported currencies, fees, exchange rates and registration.
Ask an Expert