Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Myanmar
Compare exchange rates and fees when you send money to Myanmar.
Compare wire transfer options to Myanmar
Use the international wire transfer calculator below to compare rates when you send money to Myanmar.
How to compare money transfer companies
- Exchange rates. Look at the exchange rates offered for turning New Zealand dollars into Myanmar kyats. Use the published mid-market rate as a baseline to compare against the rates you’re being offered. The company that’s closest is offering you the best rate.
- Fees. Before you complete your transfer, confirm how much you’ll have to pay in transfer fees. What you’ll pay sometimes varies by payment option.
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers online, or do you need to visit an agent location? Can you send your funds over the phone?
- Turnaround time. How long will you have to wait until your funds are available for your recipient? Processing times can vary depending by company and hours of operation at each cash pickup location.
- Minimum amount. Will you need to exceed a minimum transfer limit with each transaction?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. Is customer support available by phone, email or live chat, and are the hours convenient for your needs?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rate is used to determine how much one country’s currency is worth when trades for that of another country. A country with a strong currency — like New Zealand — will yield more money when exchanged with a weaker currency. This amount changes daily and is primarliy influenced by global economic stability and inflation between banks.
How to send money to Myanmar from New Zealand
- Western Union. Western Union operates an extensive branch network throughout Myanmar. You can initiate a transfer online or by visiting an agent location worldwide.
- MoneyGram. MoneyGram has been offering its services in Myanmar since 2013. It offers 10-minute transfers that can be picked up from its locations throughout Myanmar.
What will I need to complete a transfer?
Before you can send an international money transfer to Myanmar, you will need to provide:
- Your name, contact information and proof of ID
- Your recipient’s name, address and contact information
- How much you want to send and how you want it picked up
Once you’ve completed the transfer on your end, keep your transaction reference number handy. You can use this to track the progress of your transfer and make sure your money gets into your recipient’s hands quickly.
Emergency cash transfers in Myanmar
If your recipient needs money quickly, then an emergency cash transfer may be able to help. Although there are limited money transfer options available for Myanmar, both MoneyGram and Western Union offer rapid transfers to Myanmar. Just remember to double-check the exchange rate and fee that apply to your transaction to make sure you’re completely aware of how much the transfer will cost.
Tips for picking up cash in Myanmar
- Don’t visit a transfer agent in an area where you don’t feel safe.
- Don’t pick up cash alone — if possible, ask a friend to accompany you.
- Keep your cash concealed and don’t flash it around in public.
- Avoid any high-crime areas.
- Don’t carry cash around for any longer than you need to.
- Immediately deposit the funds in your bank account.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Tower shares (TWR)
Your easy-to-follow guide to buying Tower shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to buy Hallenstein Glasson Holdings shares (HLG)
The novice investor’s guide to buying HLG shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to buy NZX Limited shares (NZX)
The steps you need to follow to buy NZX shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to buy Kingfish Limited shares (KFL)
What you need to do if you want to buy Kingfish shares (KFL) on the New Zealand Exchange.
How to buy Investore Property shares (IPL)
The steps you need to take if you want to buy Investore Property shares on the New Zealand Stock Exchange.
How to buy Vector shares (VCT)
The steps you need to follow if you want to buy Vector shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to buy Briscoe Group shares (BGP)
Step-by-step instructions to help you invest in Briscoe Group shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
How to buy Mercury shares (MCY)
Your simple, step-by-step guide to investing in Mercury shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
A snapshot of women and money in 2021
From investing to property, Finder takes a closer look at women and their finances as part of International Women’s Day.
How to buy Arvida shares (ARV)
We’ll show you what you need to do to buy Arvida shares on the New Zealand Stock Exchange.
Ask an Expert