Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Mongolia
Looking for the best way to send money to Mongolia? These money transfer tips should keep you from paying high bank fees.
Finding the best money transfer company can seem like a huge obstacle when all you really want to do is send a loved one a little extra cash to help out with everyday expenses. By comparing transfer fees and exchange rates, you can start cutting down on the time you spend searching for a good deal. These money transfer tips will help you get the most out of your dollars when you’re on the hunt to send money to Mongolia.
Compare Money Transfer Services
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Mongolia. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
Steps to send money to Mongolia
- Start your search by comparing different money transfer companies that send to Mongolia.
- Register with the provider once you’ve found one with minimal fees and good exchange rates.
- Follow the provider’s transfer process, supplying information about you and your recipient.
- Complete the full money transfer application and select your payment method.
- Save your tracking number and follow up with your recipient to make sure they received their funds.
How do I compare transfer companies?
- Exchange rate. First look at whether the provider will actually let you send money to Mongolia. Then look at the currency the provider can send. For example, Western Union can make a cash payment to Mongolia in NZD opposed to MNT.
- Transfer time. The transfer time is based on the payment and collection options. Transfer time can be as quick as under 10 minutes or as slow as 6 business days. Paying for your transfer by bank deposit can add a couple of days to the transfer time. Cash and card payments clear almost instantly.
- Payment options. Most providers accept bank account deposits as a payment method. You can also pay for your Mongolian money transfer by credit or debit card in most cases.
- Collection options. Does the recipient want the money deposited into their bank account, or do they need to get cash quickly? This question will determine your choice of service.
- Fees. Most companies charge a fee to transfer your money around the world, though some will waive that fee for large transfers. The fee and the exchange rate determine how much your transfer will cost.
- Customer service. It can be reassuring if there’s a customer service agent on hand to answer any questions you may have about your money transfer to Mongolia.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is determined by interest rates, both countries’ economic state and the global inflation rate. Because of this, your exchange rate may fluctuate from day to day. When sending money to Mongolia from the New Zealand, you’ll find that the NZD is strong — that is, your loved one will receive more tugrik for each dollar you send.
How do I send money to Mongolia from New Zealand?
- Bank transfers. Some major New Zealand banks offer wire transfers to Mongolia, but at a hefty price.
- Money transfer providers. Online providers can help you transfer money quickly and easily.
- Transfer companies with cash pickup. International cash payment services such as Western Union and MoneyGram can send cash to Mongolia in minutes, but transfer fees are higher than the other services. However, if speed is your main concern, compare these providers to send money to Mongolia quick.
- PayPal. You can send money abroad using your PayPal account.
Tips for picking up cash in Mongolia
Whether you’re picking up cash in Mongolia or any other country, take a safety-first approach. Use common sense, such as keeping your cash hidden and depositing it with your bank as soon as possible. Taking a friend along with you to collect the funds is also a good idea.
More guides on Finder
Kraken vs Coinbase
We compare the key differences between two of the most popular cryptocurrency exchanges in terms of fees, features, customer support and more.
How to buy Mercury shares (MCY)
Your simple, step-by-step guide to investing in Mercury shares on New Zealand’s Exchange.
A snapshot of women and money in 2021
From investing to property, Finder takes a closer look at women and their finances as part of International Women’s Day.
How to buy Arvida shares (ARV)
We’ll show you what you need to do to buy Arvida shares on the New Zealand Stock Exchange.
How to buy Cannasouth shares (CBD)
Your step-by-step guide to buying Cannasouth shares on the NZX.
How to transfer money from a credit card to a bank account
Find out how to transfer money from a credit card to your bank account, and what fees you might pay.
Review: Interactive Brokers online share trading broker
Interactive Brokers offers some of the lowest brokerage fees on the market, but there are caveats you need to be wary of.
HostMonster discount codes and coupons May 2021 | 30-day money-back guarantee
HostMonster offers affordable and reliable web hosting services for individuals and businesses. Save with our promos.
The Co-operative Bank Fair Rate credit card
Transfer an existing balance and pay 0% p.a. for 6 months, plus enjoy a low interest rate and account fee with The Co-operative Fair Rate card.
WorldFirst World Account for online sellers
Read our guide to the WorldFirst World Account for online sellers, including info on supported currencies, fees and how to open an account.
Ask an Expert