We’ll guide you through your international transfer for when you need to send money to Macau.
Compare money transfer services to Macau
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
How to compare money transfer services
- Exchange rates. Nearly every provider will want to make a profit from exchange rates. The rate you’re offered won’t be exactly the going rate, but it should be close—look at the differences between different companies and find one that most closely matches the mid-market value.
- Pickup methods. Depending on what your recipient needs, you should find a provider that offers cash pickup or electronic transfers. Many do both and allow you to select your preferred option.
- Fees. Fees are fairly simple to compare, but because of the location of Macau, they are generally higher than when transferring money to other countries. Research the fees of each provider before selecting your final option.
- Bank-to-bank benefits. There aren’t any notable banks that have branches in New Zealand and Macau for bank-to-bank transfer benefits, but Citibank does support MOP. It is advised that you visit a Citibank branch to confirm if you qualify for this feature.
- Turnaround time. Different providers have different turnaround times. If you need money sent quickly, a provider that takes only a few minutes to complete your transfer is best. If you have longer, a provider that takes two to four days will be a more affordable option.
- Payment options. Most providers have payment options that include single payments, regular payments and forwarded contracts.
- Minimum or maximum transfer amounts. When comparing, look out for limits on how much you can send per day or per week.
- Customer service. The transfer services should offer customer support by phone, email or online chat. If a provider doesn’t offer customer service, stay cautious.
How can you send and receive money between Macau and New Zealand?
- Money transfer service. Due to Macau’s geographical location, most companies do business with China and surrounding countries. Moneygram and Western Union will send money to Macau, but only Western Union sends it in the Macanese currency.
- Banks. Citibank supports the Macanese currency and will allow you to send money to Macau, but it will require you to visit a local branch to determine costs and rates. HSBC operates in the Hong Kong area and has branches in Macau. Visit a branch to see whether a money transfer is possible.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate determines how much one currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. A strong currency will yield more than a weak currency, though because of fluctuation in the global market, the exact amount changes daily. This can be caused by inflation, economic stability and interest rates around the world.
What steps will you need to follow to send money to Macau?
|Sending money to a bank account:|
|Sending money as a cash pickup:|
|Sending money through Moneygram or Western Union:|
Emergency cash transfers to Macau
Emergency cash transfers can be sent to Macau using Moneygram or Western Union. Both are reputable companies that transfer money within a couple of minutes. However, the speed of the transfer will impact the rate you receive and the fee you are charged, so consider this option carefully before you make your decision.
Tips for picking up cash in Macau
The Macau is located on the Eastern coast of China. Though it is classified as a relatively safe country, use caution when picking up cash from an agent location. Don’t advertise the fact that you have a wallet full of cash, and head to your bank as soon as possible to deposit your funds.Back to top