How to send money to Lesotho
Here's how you can make safe, secure and affordable money transfers to Lesotho.
If you’re looking to send money to Lesotho, you may find that the transfer fees charged by your bank are extremely high–if they even transfer money at all. In order to get the best deal, compare the rates offered to you by independent money transfer companies. Our guide will tell you all you need to know so you can make the best decision when converting your New Zealand dollars to Lesotho loti.
Compare international money transfers to Lesotho
Use our interactive table to compare transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Lesotho with a money transfer service.
Banks vs. money transfer services
If you’re thinking about sending money to Lesotho through your local bank, think again. While it can easily send international wire transfers all around the world, you’ll pay a high transfer fee for the privilege. Banks also typically offer dismal exchange rates on all international transfers.
Do your wallet a favor by considering the services of a specialist money transfer company. These companies don’t spread themselves across a wide range of products and services like the banks. Instead, they specialize in sending money internationally and can therefore offer far superior exchange rates. With their secure transfers also come lower transfer fees, allowing you and your recipient to enjoy a better financial deal.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to Lesotho
When you’re stuck between two or three companies, it can be good to take a step back and decide which factors mean the most to you.
- Exchange rates. Nearly every provider skews exchange rates for profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the market rate and make sure there’s no huge difference.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Transfer methods. Different companies have different transfer methods. Some allow you to fill out an online application while others need you to come into the store. Find one that works for you.
- Bonus features. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Transfer speed. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you’ve got more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate, especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are a flexible number that fluctuate depending on the global market. This is how companies calculate how much one country’s currency is worth in another. The New Zealand dollar (NZD) is traditionally much stronger than the Lesotho loti (LSL).
Ways to send money from New Zealand to Lesotho
- Bank transfers. Transfers between banks are a secure but expensive transfer method.
- Money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to Lesotho from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of cash pickups from thousands of agent locations across Lesotho.
- M-Pesa. M-Pesa is a safe, secure way to send, receive and store money through your mobile phone or an app. Top up your account at one of more than 287,000 agent locations and then send money to loved ones, who can visit an agent to withdraw their funds.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or postal service.
Emergency cash transfers to Lesotho
Emergencies happen all the time, and though they’re unavoidable, there are ways for you to transfer money quickly to Lesotho whenever you need it. However, this will yield a poor exchange rate and hefty fees, so it’s best to choose a normal transfer unless you have no other options.
Tips for picking up cash in Lesotho
When picking up cash in Lesotho, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target of theft.
- Call ahead. Tell the company you’re planning on visiting and ask for their hours. Visiting during daylight is best.
- Bring a friend. Ask a friend to come along when you’re picking up large amounts of cash.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money on your person before leaving the office. Having too much money visible can attract unwanted attention.
Read more on this topic
Remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
How to send money to Gabon Compare Gabon money transfer services to find a better deal.
Send money to the Balkans Find out how you can send money cheaply and quickly to the Balkans.
OrbitRemit international money transfers Take a look at OrbitRemit and see if it suits your money transfer needs.
Send money to Cameroon Compare your options before sending money to Cameroon to see if you can save on your next transfer.
Send money to China How to send money to China from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert New Zealand currency into Egyptian pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from New Zealand without delay.
Send money to India How to send money to India from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
Ask an Expert