How to send money to Lebanon
How to compare transfer services when sending money to Lebanon.
There are plenty of money transfer providers willing to transfer your money to someone in Lebanon. All you need is to compare these providers to find one that offers you the best rates with the lowest fees, and our guide can help you do just that.
Compare international money transfers to Lebanon
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Lebanon with our money transfer partners.
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Lebanon. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rates are a flexible number that determines how much one currency is worth in the currency of another country. The New Zealand dollar (NZD) has traditionally been quite strong against the Lebanese pound (LBP), which means every dollar you transfer will yield quite a few pounds.
Banks versus money transfer services
You might think the best place to go when you need to send an international money transfer is to your bank. While your bank can certainly help you send money to Lebanon, however, they won’t do it cheaply. High fees and low exchange rates are hallmarks of international transfers through banks, so you’re better off looking elsewhere for a more cost-effective solution.
Specialist money transfer companies are the best place to start. These companies, such as OFX and WorldRemit, offer fast, secure and much more affordable transfers to ILebanon and around the world. Their fees are usually lower than the banks’, their exchange rates higher and the transactions can be handled from the comfort of your own home.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Lebanon
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
How to send money from New Zealand to Lebanon
Sending money between New Zealand and Lebanon is simple. Follow these steps to complete your transaction and put money into your recipient’s hand quickly.
- Find a money transfer provider in the table above.
- Click Go to Site once you’ve found an option right for you.
- Create an account and provide all the necessary information.
- Enter your recipient’s personal information.
- Choose a transfer method–bank account transfer or cash pickup.
- Complete the transaction and pay.
- Save the tracking number to make sure your transfer is successful.
What are the ways that I can send money to Lebanon
- Bank transfers. Many major New Zealand banks will allow you to send money to Lebanon.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and XE can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from New Zealand to Lebanon.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or postal service.
Emergency cash transfers in Lebanon
There are multiple situations that could arise and cause you to need to send an emergency money transfer to Lebanon. Although it’s possible to send a quick transfer–one that may only take a few hours to complete–it will generally be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost, and try to avoid quick transfers unless it’s an emergency that really calls for it. Otherwise you and your recipient will lose money.
Picking up cash
Having a cash transfer can be convenient for some recipients who may not have access to a bank account or don’t want to pay ATM fees to withdraw the money you send. When they do pick up their funds, advice them of these simple safety tips so they can stay out of harm’s way.
- Don’t go alone. Picking up cash could be dangerous if the area is known for theft. A friend can help decrease the chances of becoming a target.
- Hide your cash. Don’t take out large amounts of money in public, and keep all cash hidden safely on your person, not in a purse or bag. This reduces the chance of it being stolen or forgotten in a crowded place.
- Deposit quickly. As soon as you’re able, store your money somewhere safe.
Read more on this topic
Remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
How to send money to Gabon Compare Gabon money transfer services to find a better deal.
Send money to the Balkans Find out how you can send money cheaply and quickly to the Balkans.
OrbitRemit international money transfers Take a look at OrbitRemit and see if it suits your money transfer needs.
Send money to Cameroon Compare your options before sending money to Cameroon to see if you can save on your next transfer.
Send money to China How to send money to China from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert New Zealand currency into Egyptian pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from New Zealand without delay.
Send money to India How to send money to India from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
Ask an Expert