Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Guinea-Bissau
Compare your options before sending money to Guinea-Bissau to see if you can get a better deal.
If you want to send money to Guinea-Bissau, it’s a good idea to see what services are available and then compare them across factors like fees, rates and transfer speed.
We’ve done the hard work for you by compiling a list of services that allow you to send money from New Zealand to Guinea-Bissau below.
How much does it cost to send money to Guinea-Bissau? Compare your options
Enter the details of your transfer into the table below. It will crunch the numbers and show you how much your transfer may cost depending on which service you choose.
What's in this guide?
- How much does it cost to send money to Guinea-Bissau? Compare your options
- Step-by-step: How to send money to Guinea-Bissau
- What's the best way to send money to Guinea-Bissau?
- How long will it take to send money to Guinea-Bissau?
- Documentation you'll need to send money to Guinea-Bissau
- What to compare to get the best deal
- Cash pick-up locations in Guinea-Bissau
Step-by-step: How to send money to Guinea-Bissau
To send money to Guinea-Bissau:
- Compare your options here and find the service you want to use.
- Create an account on its website, wait to be verified, then start a new transfer.
- Fill out the details of your transfer, including the amount and the recipient’s information.
- Check that all the details are correct, then make your payment. You will generally receive a confirmation message once your funds arrive.
What’s the best way to send money to Guinea-Bissau?
Although your options for sending money to Guinea-Bissau are very limited, there are several ways. The main ones include:
Money transfer services
This option has the widest range of pick-up options for your recipient. For example, you may be able to choose between bank account payment or cash pick-up. They also tend to have lower fees and better rates than the other choices.
Cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram let you send funds to Guinea-Bissau where it will be available as a cash pick-up for the recipient.
You may be able to send money to Guinea-Bissau with certain banks. However, where available this may be slower and more expensive than other options.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $1,000 to Guinea-Bissau
The table below shows how much it would cost to send $1,000 with two different options, so you can get a sense of how costs vary with different options.
One of these services is an express cash transfer, while the other is a money transfer service which delivers to the recipient’s bank account.
|Cash transfer||Transfer service|
|Exchange rate||NZD$1 = XOF395.8309||NZD$1 = XOF401.5308|
|Transfer speed||In minutes||1–2 days|
|Total francs received||XOF392,268||XOF395,511|
|Overall||XOF3,243 less||XOF3,243 more|
By using one transfer service instead of the other, the recipient could end up with more than XOF3,000 (about $8) on the other end, although it will be a bit slower.
How long will it take to send money to Guinea-Bissau?
How long it takes to send money to Guinea-Bissau will depend largely on how many bank transfers are involved en route. A transfer from you to an overseas money transfer service could take a day or two, and when the transfer service delivers the money to the recipient’s bank account it can also take another business day or two.
As such, the fastest transfers will typically involve paying by card or cash and having the funds delivered to your recipient through cash pick-up or mobile money services.
Emergency cash transfer
If you want to get money to Guinea-Bissau as fast as possible, consider looking for cash transfer services such as MoneyGram or Western Union to facilitate your transfer.
You can look for a place to pay with cash locally, and then opt to have the money delivered to the recipient as cash. However, they will still need to travel to the pick-up location during its business hours.
How to send money to Guinea-Bissau without a bank account
If you don’t have a bank account, you can still send money to Guinea-Bissau by paying with cash at a money transfer service agent in your location.
This method can also let you send cash when the recipient doesn’t have a bank account.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Guinea-Bissau
You’ll typically need to provide some information when sending money to Guinea-Bissau which can include:
- Documentation. You will be asked to provide proof of your identity such as a passport or driver’s licence and may also be required to present evidence of a reason to send money to Guinea-Bissau.
- Personal details. This includes your name, your address, contact details and other information.
- Transfer information. You will need to provide the transfer details, including the amount and the currencies.
- Recipient’s information. Transfer services will also need recipient details, including their names and contact information
What to compare to get the best deal
To find the deal that’s best for you, look at more than just the fees – but don’t discount them entirely.
- Fees. How much does the transfer service charge in flat costs for the transfer?
- Exchange rates. This is how much of one currency you get for another. It can vary widely between transfer services and can make even more of a difference to the total costs than the fees do.
- Transfer speed. How long will the payment take end-to-end? Consider the time it will take for you to make the deposit, as well as for the transfer service to send the payment onwards, or the recipient to collect the funds.
- Payment options. These are the different options you have when paying for the transfer. Typical choices may include bank transfer, card or cash.
- Delivery methods. This refers to the different ways the recipient can get the money. They might have it sent directly to their bank account, available as cash at an agent, or sent to their mobile phone.
- Customer service. This is who to call if something goes wrong.
Foreign exchange rates explained
To work out how good a service’s exchange rates are, you’ll want to look at the mid-market exchange rate. This is the official rate and the one you can see on Google or below.
By comparing a transfer service’s exchange rate to the mid-market rates, you can work out as a precise percentage how much you’re paying on foreign exchange fees.
Today’s exchange rate NZD to XOF
Cash pick-up locations in Guinea-Bissau
More guides on Finder
Review: Payoneer for online sellers
Read our guide to Payoneer and how it can help marketplace sellers save money when receiving international payments.
10 ways to teach kids about money
Encourage healthy financial habits for the future with these tips on teaching kids about money.
How to sell on eBay (and make money)
The complete beginner’s guide to selling on eBay, including how to set up a store, eBay fees, shipping options and money-saving tips.
Review: CurrencyTransfer account for online sellers
Learn more about CurrencyTransfer, a foreign exchange marketplace that could help your e-commerce business save on overseas payments.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
To find the best rate for your next money transfer, check out our comparison of the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds of Western Union and MoneyGram.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
Roaming on the cheap: How to minimise your data usage
Worried about your data bill while travelling? These tips can reduce your data usage and save you money.
Compare home phone and broadband bundles
Combining your home phone and Internet services can save you time and money, so it’s worth comparing your options to ensure you’re getting the best deal.