How to send money to Ethiopia
Save time and money when sending money to Ethiopia from New Zealand.
Located in the Horn of Africa, Ethiopia boasts an intriguing archaeological history and is home to around 100 million people. If you ever want to send a money transfer from New Zealand to this landlocked African nation, there are plenty of ways to do so.
Before you choose a transfer method, it’s essential that you compare the options at your disposal to see which one is the most affordable.
Compare money transfer services
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
Banks versus money transfer companies
One convenient option when you need to send money overseas is to ask your bank to take care of the transaction. While banks certainly present a convenient option when it comes to international money transfers, their services are far from affordable. Banks are known for their high transaction fees and terrible exchange rates, so you can usually find a cheaper option by looking elsewhere.
When hunting around for a provider to help you send money overseas, consider the services offered by specialist online money transfer companies. These companies trade in high volumes of foreign currency, allowing them to offer much better exchange rates than the banks. They also charge lower transaction fees, allowing you to save money whenever you send funds overseas.Back to top
Questions I should ask myself when transferring and receiving money via Ethiopia
- Exchange rates. What sort of exchange rates does the company offer? How do they compare to those offered by other providers?
- Transaction fees. How much will you be charged in fees each time you send an international transfer? Can you avoid fees by sending a larger amount of money?
- Transfer methods. Can you place transfers online, in a branch, over the telephone and/or through a mobile app?
- Flexible options. Can you set up a regular payment schedule to save you time in the future? Can you place limit orders or forward contracts to secure a better deal?
- Transfer time. How long will it take for the money to arrive to your recipient? Processing times typically range from a few minutes to several working days.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Are there any minimum or maximum transfer limits that apply to each transaction? Will they regularly affect your transfer requirements?
- Pickup options. Will the funds be available to be collected in cash, be sent to your recipient’s bank account or transferred in some other way?
- Customer service. If something ever goes wrong with a transaction or you have a question about the company’s services, will you have quick and easy access to customer support?
How do I send money to Ethiopia from New Zealand?
- Specialist money transfer providers. Start researching now to find out which international money transfer providers allow you to send money to Ethiopia.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are the two largest cash pickup transfer companies in the world.
- Bank transfers. Bank transfers are a convenient option but are typically quite costly.
- International cheques. An old-school transfer method is to post an international guaranteed cheque to your beneficiary.
How do I receive money from Ethiopia in New Zealand?
- Specialist money transfer providers. Specialist online transfer companies offer better exchange rates and lower fees than the banks.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Choose a cash pickup transfer company that offers affordable transactions and a pickup location close to you.
- Bank transfers. Bank transfers are another option when receiving money from Ethiopia, but shop around to see just how affordable they are.
- International cheques. Check with your bank to find out how much it costs to cash an international cheque.
Emergency cash transfers in Ethiopia
In certain circumstances you may need to send a cash transfer from New Zealand to Ethiopia as quickly as possible. If you find yourself in this situation, make sure you’re aware that emergency international cash transfers usually cost more than standard online transfers.
Thanks to low exchange rates and increased fees, you’ll pay more for your transfer than you would in normal circumstances – so review the details and cost of your transaction before you hand over your money.Back to top
Cash pickup locations in Ethiopia/ Western Union/ MoneyGram branches in Ethiopia
Western Union and MoneyGram both operate substantial cash pick-up transfer networks around the world. Some of their popular cash pick-up locations in Ethiopia are listed below. If you’re picking up cash, make sure you have photo ID and a transaction reference number handy.
- Aba Mella Branch
Hican BuildingUmmar Semetar Street Addis Ababa, 12947 +251-11-1557649Open 2am to 7pm Monday to Saturday
- Abinet Branch
Abinet Area Gibe Commercial Center Sub City Lideta P O Box 12947 Addis Ababa, +251-11-2781307Open 2am to 7pm Monday to Saturday
- Allay Badey
Around Ashewa AreaInfront Of Cigarettes Market Dire Dawa, 19963 +251-254-110532Open 12:40am to 3pm Monday to Saturday
- CBE Dire Konnel
Dire Dawa Location Konnel Dire Dawa, +251-251-113066Open 7am to 4pm Monday to Friday, 7am to 11am Saturday
- Awash Bank
Around Addisu Gebeya Belay Zelek RoadAddis Ababa,111268100Open 8am to 7pm Monday to Saturday
Addis Ababa911713598Open 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday
- CBE – Lege Oda
Dire Dawa, 68252110327Open 8am to 7pm Monday to Thursday, 24 hours Friday to Sunday
- CBE – Kefira
Kefira AreaDire Dawa,251110115Open 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday
Tips for picking up cash in Ethiopia
If you wish to visit the country nonetheless and you need to pick up a cash transfer while there, keep the following tips in mind:
- Only visit a transfer branch in an area where you feel safe
- Keep your cash hidden – don’t display it in public
- Take a friend along to provide extra security
- Don’t carry a large sum of money around with you for any longer than necessary
What are the steps to send money to Ethiopia?
You’ll need to check the exact money transfer process with the transfer company you choose, but you will generally need to:
- Register for an account. Accounts are usually free to sign up for and you can do this online. You will need to supply your full name, contact information, proof of ID and bank account details.
- Enter your transaction details. The next step is to enter all the relevant transaction information, including how much money you’re sending and in what currency. You’ll also need to specify who will be receiving the transfer.
- Finalise the transaction. After reviewing the cost of your transaction, it’s time to finalise and submit your transfer request. Most companies also provide an online tracking service so that you know when your funds have been delivered.
Read more on this topic
Remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
How to send money to Gabon Compare Gabon money transfer services to find a better deal.
Send money to the Balkans Find out how you can send money cheaply and quickly to the Balkans.
OrbitRemit international money transfers Take a look at OrbitRemit and see if it suits your money transfer needs.
Send money to Cameroon Compare your options before sending money to Cameroon to see if you can save on your next transfer.
Send money to China How to send money to China from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert New Zealand currency into Egyptian pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from New Zealand without delay.
Send money to India How to send money to India from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
Ask an Expert