Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to the Dominican Republic
The safest and most cost-effective ways of sending money to friends and family in the Dominican Republic from New Zealand.
The Dominican Republic has seen well over the 5% margin in its year on year growth over the past few years and latest GDP almost at USD$70 billion.
Compare Money Transfer Services
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring money between the Dominican Republic and New Zealand?
- Exchange rates. When comparing exchange rates, take note that the rates are subject to change in a short amount of time. Therefore, compare the narrowed down list of companies at the last possible moment that you are deciding which to choose for the final step.
- Pickup methods. Cash pickups can be sent to an agent location or in some cases to a home address. If money is sent to a bank account in a foreign currency it can save costs but create delays in sending time.
- Fees. Fees range between variables like time, method and minimum or maximum amounts. Remember that low fees aren’t everything if it means sacrificing time, beneficial exchange rates, and customer service.
- Bank to bank benefits. There are no clear indicators of bank to bank benefits between the two countries, and although Citibank notes its reach into the Dominican Republic, it doesn’t list exact benefits. Read through the basic benefits of having an account with Citibank and whether it can be used with another personal account that is yours in the Dominican Republic.
- Turnaround time. Turnaround times for the available services range from minutes to days. Cash pickups are your best bet when it comes to emergency transfers.
- Transfer methods. If you don’t have a lot of flexibility in time, agent or phone options will be difficult. Look out for companies that allow you to not only book on the phone or through an agent, but also online with a personal account.
- Transfer options. The companies below range between the following options: regular payments, once-off payments, market orders, and forward contracts.
- Minimum/maximum transfer amounts. Keep in mind that it might have a lower maximum and a limit on what you can send per day.
- Customer service. The companies below have a track record of supportive customer service and making the process of sending money more user-friendly. It is advised to get on a phone or visit an agent location when you are extremely uncomfortable with the process and let customer service help you through it.
How do I send money to the Dominican Republic?
- Money transfer service – Use Compass Global Markets, Moneygram, Western Union, WorldFirst Foreign Exchange and Xpress to send money to an agent for cash pickup or to a bank account in the Dominican Republic.
- Banks – Citibank supports the DOP currency and can send money to an individual’s bank account in the Dominican Republic.
- Paypal – This service can be used to send money to the Dominican Republic in supported currencies like the USD that will need to be taken to a local exchange bureau to be exchanged for the local DOP as USD are not accepted everywhere.
How can you receive money from the Dominican Republic in New Zealand?
Send capital gains or excess money back to New Zealand using Paypal and the money transfer services mentioned above. They will either need to take cash to one of the agent locations specified below in the article or do an online transaction with an online account and pay with a Mastercard or Visa card.
What are the options for emergency cash transfers in the Dominican Republic?
Emergency cash transfers can be important in the Dominican Republic for the couple for two reasons. The first is for any unexpected business needs that arise whilst you are setting up operations in the surrounding areas of Santo Domingo and for which a recurring payment will take too long to solve.
The second reason is for cases of theft or crime where money or other valuable items are stolen from you and inhibits your daily life in the Dominican Republic. To cover these two potential situations, you identified that Moneygram, Western Union, and Xpress Money can help and receive cash transfers in Santo Domingo and other main cities in the Dominican Republic. Below are the locations for picking up cash at agent locations from these companies.
Cash pickup locations in Dominican Republic if you are using MoneyGram, Western Union and Xpress Money
Banco Multiple Vimenca C Por
Av Abraham Lincoln Esq J F Ke
Agora Mall, Santo Domingo, Dn
Monday to Friday 9am to 9pm
Saturday 9am to 6pm, Sunday 9am to 2pm
Banco Multiple Vimenca Sa
Ave. Lope De Vega Esq. Rafael
Ens. Naco, Distrito Nacional, Santo Domingo
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
Saturday 9am to 1pm, closed on Sundays
Repuestos Roan Srl
Calle Juan Brito Esq. Tomasa C
Bayahibe, La Romana
Monday to Saturday 8am to 8pm, closed on Sundays
Banco Popular Domincano, Santo Domingo
KM 8 1/2 Carretera Mella, Santo Domingo
Sunday to Friday 9am to 5pm, Saturday 9am to 1pm
Banco Del Progreso, Santo Domingo
Av George Washington No 500 Santo Domingo
Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm, Saturday 8am to 2pm
Banco Del Progreso, La RomanaFidelite
Marina Chavn Casa De Campo La Romana 22000 8095237070 Monday to Friday 7:30am to 5pm Monday to Sunday, 9am to 5pm, Sunday 9am to 1pm
BanReservas-Isabel La Catolica Br
Calle Isabel la Catolica Num 201 Isabel La Catolica
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm, Saturday 9am to 1pm,
BanReservas – Centro de Caja Plaza Lama La Romana Br
Calle Francisco Richiez esq. Fray Juan Utrera, La Romana
Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm, Saturday 9am to 1pm
Read this tips for smooth sailing cash pickups in the Dominican Republic
Reported crime is classified as high in the Dominican Republic and it is advised to never travel alone when collecting cash from an agent location. There aren’t high margins of difference in the areas where crime and violence take place, and there are reports of outbursts in popular areas.
It will be important that you don’t travel alone as reports show travellers and foreigners to be pestered by small petty crimes and are occasionally seriously hurt. When picking up cash, stick to populated and professional areas and choose private transport over public where possible. As long as there is more than one person going to pick up the cash and engaging in the activity discreetly, it should be relatively safe.
What do you need to do or have to send and receive money between the Dominican Republic and New Zealand?
When you are going to pick up cash at an agent location, you will need to take along your photo ID that is government issued or another of government issued identification, as well as the tracking or reference number. A copy or original of the receipt of the transaction can also be handy. If you are going to send the money to a bank account, you will need the following:
- Bank details, which includes the SWIFT BIC details, branch, and address of the bank
- The recipient’s bank account number and basic details
- The supported currency and amount you want to send
If you would like to send money to an individual that will do a cash pickup, you will need the following with you:
- Details of the recipient in the form of identification
- Address of the agent location
- Correct amount and currency that you would like to send
- A copy of the receipt to send to the recipient
More guides on Finder
How to sell on eBay (and make money)
The complete beginner’s guide to selling on eBay, including how to set up a store, eBay fees, shipping options and money-saving tips.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
To find the best rate for your next money transfer, check out our comparison of the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds of Western Union and MoneyGram.
Review: Send international money transfers
If you’re thinking of transferring money overseas with Send, make sure you check out our review of its exchange rates, fees and transfer speed first.
Xpress Money international money transfers
We take a closer look at the fees, exchange rates and features of Xpress Money to see how its international money transfer service compares.
Review: UAE Exchange New Zealand international money transfers
We take a look at the exchange rates, fees and transfer times of UAE Exchange to see how its international money transfer service stacks up.
Review: Lotus Foreign Exchange international money transfers
We examine the pros and cons of exchanging currency with Lotus Foreign Exchange, including exchange rates, fees and transfer speed.
WorldRemit vs Ria
We compare the exchange rates, transaction fees and transfer times of WorldRemit and Ria to find out which one offers better value for money.
Transfer Go discount codes and coupons November 2020
Transfer Go offers non-nonsense money transfers within a matter of hours. Enjoy sending money overseas without hidden fees and benefit from real exchange rates, easy transfers and a reliable service.
How do I use Venmo to transfer money?
Venmo may make it easy to send money to friends, but is it safe? And is it possible to use it in New Zealand?
Ask an Expert