How to send money to Bulgaria
OFX International Money Transfers
Exclusive offer: OFX is currently offering exclusive exchange rates to Finder readers.
- $0 transfer fees. Send fee-free transfers to a large selection of countries worldwide.
- Transfers in 50+ currencies. OFX supports major, minor and exotic currencies.
- Flexible options. Choose from forward contracts to scheduled transfers for convenience and flexibility.
Compare money transfer services
Our interactive table lets you compare current fees, exchange rates, transfer speeds and other details about sending your money overseas. Enter the amount you’re transferring, and see how much will arrive at your destination.
Steps to send money to Bulgaria
- Register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
- Provide the information for your recipient
- Select the amount of your transfer
- Keep a record of any transaction reference number you receive so that you can review the progress of your transfer.
Ana arrived in New Zealand as a student, and at the end of her studies got a job and decided to stay. She was soon earning enough to be able to send money home to her parents in Bulgaria. She decided to send $1,000 a month to her parents.
Before she decided which transfer company to chose, she compared two big names.
|Exchange rate||1 NZD = 1.09 BGN||1 NZD = 1.16 BGN|
|Transfer speed||4 day||1 day|
|Transfer options||Agent location||Bank account|
|Total BGN received||1,065||1,150|
TransferWise is the clear winner here. With a better exchange rate and lower transfer fee, Ana’s parents get 85 more lev, in a shorter amount of time.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Bulgaria.
You’ll want to consider costs, of course. But other factors can also affect your choice.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pick-ups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pick-up, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pick-ups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate —especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency.
Currency exchange rate for Bulgaria
Ways to send money to Bulgaria from New Zealand
- Bank transfers. Most major banks offer transfers to Bulgaria.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like World First can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Transfer companies with cash pick-up. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pick-up at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from New Zealand to Bulgaria
How safe is a money transfer?When you use a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. Banks, credit unions and money transfer companies are required to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Back to top
Picking up cash at a money transfer branch
Whether picking up funds in Sofia or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Emergency transfers to Bulgaria
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Bulgaria – for example, if a friend travelling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.Back to top
Read more on this topic
Remittance statistics We've unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
How to send money to Gabon Compare Gabon money transfer services to find a better deal.
Send money to the Balkans Find out how you can send money cheaply and quickly to the Balkans.
OrbitRemit international money transfers Take a look at OrbitRemit and see if it suits your money transfer needs.
Send money to Cameroon Compare your options before sending money to Cameroon to see if you can save on your next transfer.
Send money to China How to send money to China from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert New Zealand currency into Egyptian pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from New Zealand without delay.
Send money to India How to send money to India from New Zealand, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
Ask an Expert