Currencies Direct lets you send funds directly to international bank accounts.
Currencies Direct is an international money transfer company with roots in the UK dating back to the late 1990s. It has since expanded and has offices all over the world and the ability to exchange funds into nearly 40 international currencies.
Currencies Direct also has a range of personal and business transfer services on offer including spot payments, forwards contracts, limit orders and rate tracking. Whether you are paying employees or sending cash to family on a regular basis, Currencies Direct can help.
Currencies Direct exchange rates
In addition to major international currency pairs, you can also trade in a range of regional-specific currencies, such as Tunisian dinars and Romanian new leu. Exchange rates are tied to the interbank rate and are updated every couple of seconds. Currencies Direct purchases funds at the market rate and passes the savings onto its customers.
While Currencies Direct does not charge commissions for the majority of its services, a small margin is applied to its exchange rates. Even with this margin, Currencies Direct can still provides a better rate than many banks.
|Buy currency||Currencies Direct Rate||Amount you get for NZD$1,000||Interbank rate|
|AUD (Australian Dollars)||0.8895||889.52||0.8932|
|CAD (Canadian Dollars)||0.8815||881.54||0.8835|
|GBP (Pounds Sterling)||0.4683||468.32||0.4694|
|USD (United States Dollar)||0.6784||678.38||0.6794|
|AED (UAE Dirham)||2.4937||2493.7||2.4978|
|CHF (Swiss Franc)||0.6551||655.05||0.6591|
|CZK (Czech Koruna)||16.2489||16248.9||16.3272|
|DKK (Danish Kroner)||4.4863||4486.29||4.4965|
|HUF (Hungarian Forint)||184.9150||184915||187.1091|
|ILS (Israeli New Shekel)||2.6155||2615.47||2.6280|
|JPY (Japanese Yen)||75.4610||75461||75.7903|
|NOK (Norway Kroner)||5.6665||5666.45||5.7075|
|PLN (Polish Zloty)||2.5622||2562.2||2.5724|
|RUB (Russian Rouble)||45.4880||45488||46.4645|
|SEK (Swedish Krona)||5.5748||5574.85||5.5984|
|TRY (Turkish Lira)||1.9439||1943.86||1.9510|
|ZAR (South African Rand)||10.3297||10329.67||10.4001|
*Rates accurate as of 5pm 20 March 2016.
As well as the currencies listed above, you can also trade in the following. You will need to contact Currencies Direct to find out the rate it offers for these currencies.
How much does it cost to transfer money with Currencies Direct?
90% of international payments using Currencies Direct will not attract a commission. Currencies Direct may apply a margin to the exchange rate. These charges are displayed both before and after you have accepted and paid for the international money transfer.
The fee structure for personal customers and business customers is different. If you are using Currencies Direct to facilitate online payments for a business, there are no monthly account fees, but you may be charged a commission on a transfer by transfer basis.
Minimum transfer amounts and available countries
Currencies Direct lets you make international payments in up to 40 currencies. You can not transfer funds to countries which are currently subject to international sanctions. These include:
- North & South Sudan
- North Korea
What types of transfers can you carry out with Currencies Direct?
Whether you are buying a house overseas, making the move to another country or even purchasing art or collectables, you can carry out these international money transfers with Currencies Direct:
- Spot contracts. An on-the-spot international payment using the current market rate.
- Forward contracts. Lock in an exchange rate and make a payment up to a year later. You will just need to pay a 10% deposit.
- Regular payments. A regular payment service allows you to make recurring payments to an overseas beneficiary.
- Limit orders. Limit orders allow you to target a specific rate. When the target rate becomes available, Currencies Direct executes the transfer.
- Rate tracking. Currencies Direct monitors the market and lets you know when your desired rate becomes available, so you can execute the transfer.
The registration and transfer process
To make transfers with Currencies Direct, you must register for a free account. You will need to provide your personal details: a copy of your passport and your bank account details to verify your identity and address. The online component of the registration process can be completed in just a couple of minutes and it is completely free of charge.
- Enter your personal information, ie your name, address and contact number.
- You will then be asked to enter information about your transfer needs. For example, the amount you want to transfer, which currency you want to buy and the transfer destination.
- Once you accept the terms and conditions, your account is open. You will have full access once your identity is verified by Currencies Direct, using your identification and financial documents.
Once the funds have been received by Currencies Direct, transfers can take anywhere from 24-48 hours, depending on the destination. You have the option of paying for your transfer using a debit card or you can send funds via a bank transfer. If you have requested a regular payment, you can set up a direct debit agreement with Currencies Direct. Card payments will take less time to clear than a bank transfer. Currencies Direct will send you an order confirmation once you accept the transfer with the following information:
- The exchange rate.
- Payment arrival date.
- Order charges.
The good and the bad of using Currencies Direct
- Bank-beating rate. Currencies Direct provides a bank-beating exchange rate.
- No commission. 90% of all transfers with Currencies Direct are free. Business customers may be liable to pay a transfer fee.
- Refer a friend. With Currencies Direct, there is a financial incentive to refer your friends to their service.
- It’s your money. Currencies Direct is subject to government regulations and your money is kept in an independent account. Currencies Direct does not use your money to run its business.
- UK Service. Currencies Direct is a money transfer company based in the UK. New Zealand residents don’t have access to travel money services such as ordering foreign cash or the prepaid travel money card.
- Customer service. Currencies Direct does not have a New Zealand based customer service team to contact if you wish to speak to someone local about your money transfer.
What other products and services does Currencies Direct offer?
Currencies Direct offers more than international payments for individuals.
- Business services. Currencies Direct can help if you have an online business and you want a simple platform to receive international payments as well as paying international suppliers. Currencies Direct business customers can make use of the same international payment services as personal customers.
- Travel money. If you live in the UK, Currencies Direct provides travel money products such as, prepaid travel cards and foreign cash. New Zealand residents do not have access to these services.
Questions and answers
Ask us a question using the form below if you need help with the comparison of international money transfer companies.