Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to sell on Instagram
Set up shop and start selling on your posts and stories.
With an audience of over 1 billion active users per month, Instagram offers a premier – and free – selling opportunity for businesses of all sizes. All you need is an updated catalogue and an Instagram business account linked to your Facebook business page.
What's in this guide?
- What can I sell on Instagram?
- How much does it cost to use Instagram?
- How do I start selling on Instagram?
- How do I price items on Instagram?
- What types of payments does Instagram accept?
- How to get paid by international buyers
- How do I ship items sold on Instagram?
- How can I market my products on Instagram?
- What to watch out for when selling with Instagram
- Frequently asked questions
What can I sell on Instagram?
Instagram users are drawn to colourful, beautiful images that captivate the imagination. You can sell almost anything, but Instagram shopping lends itself particularly well to these types of products:
- Accessories such as jewellery and watches
- Beauty and cosmetic products
- Food and beverages
- Home décor
- Freelance services and online courses
- Outdoor and sporting goods
- Digital products that enhance Instagram itself, such as preset packages or typefaces
Remember, Instagram is owned by Facebook. You don’t want to jeopardise your new business, so don’t sell anything that violates the Facebook community standards or merchant agreement.
How much does it cost to use Instagram?
There’s no cost to set up or maintain your business account and catalogue. Once users select an item, they’re directed to your website for checkout. This means that you control the payments, shipping, delivery and any returns or customer issues directly.
Instagram Checkout was launched in March 2019. This allows in-app purchases and does require a seller’s fee — although Instagram is very quiet about the amount of the fee and what it covers. As of August 2020, Instagram Checkout was only available in the United States.
Is selling on Instagram worth it?
If you’re serious about selling your products or services, Instagram can boost exposure to potential customers. Success comes from diligent participation. To help determine whether selling on Instagram is worth it for you, ask yourself a few questions:
- Do I understand my customers and are they receptive to social media?
- Have I weighed the time commitment required to plan, photograph, edit and post relevant content?
- Am I prepared to engage with followers through the comments section, answering questions and following up?
- Am I willing to take the time to grow my number of organic followers?
How do I start selling on Instagram?
To become an approved seller on Instagram, first set up an Instagram business profile by:
- Having an active business page on Facebook and being listed as the administrator.
- Setting up an Instagram business profile by tapping Profile, Settings, then Business.
- Listing the products that you’re going to post to your feed in one of two ways:
- Create a listing of featured items using Facebook’s catalogue manager.
- Use an existing catalogue from one of your selling platforms, including Spotify, Magento or BigCommerce.
You’ll then submit your account to Instagram for approval. Once approved, complete the set-up in Shopping and start tagging products in your posts and stories. To tag products in your posts:
- Select a photo or video and post it.
- Tap the product that you want to tag for sale and enter the name to select from the search box, which is linked to your catalogue.
- Press Done, then Share. You can tag up to five products per single image or video post.
If you create Instagram Stories, you can post one product sticker to each story. To tag products in Stories:
- Choose the story that you want to feature and select a sticker from the sticker tray.
- Once you select a product from your catalogue, choose the colour and location of the tag by tapping and moving.
Since Instagram is sourcing the description, price and picture from your synced catalogue, it’s important to keep the information current. If you decide to discount your merchandise, it will be for sale at the new price on Instagram as well as your other selling venues.
How do I price items on Instagram?
To maximise your efforts while still finding a price point that’s enticing to customers, evaluate your overall business, including:
- Actual product costs, including inventory costs, shipping and storage
- Operating expenses of the business, including marketing your product
- Debt-service costs if you’ve borrowed money
Additionally, you can research and flesh out your price with the answers to these questions:
- What will your customers be willing to pay for your product?
- Do you have competitors? If so, what do they charge?
- How much product do you estimate you can sell?
What types of payments does Instagram accept?
Potential customers are currently directed to the seller’s website, so payment is defined by the seller’s existing criteria. But as Instagram moves toward possibly expanding the Checkout on Instagram Checkout programme, anticipate the following payment options in USD, euros and yen:
- American Express
- Discover (US only)
How to get paid by international buyers
Since Instagram links buyers to your website to complete their purchases, international buyers will make transactions as you’ve defined on your website.
If Instagram opens new markets for your business and you don’t have a system in place, consider opening an online seller account.
How do I ship items sold on Instagram?
First, decide if you’re going to offer a flat rate, express shipping, overnight convenience or free shipping. Also, communicate your return policy and shipping requirements to your customers before they make their purchase.
If you plan on shipping within New Zealand only, options are abundant and easily obtained — but be sure to research your bulk business shipping opportunities. Shipping items internationally from New Zealand can be a bit trickier, not to mention more expensive. Consider what’s required in terms of additional planning and time so you can meet your customer’s expectations.
How can I market my products on Instagram?
Instagram can be a marketer’s dream. Once you’re set up, consider these options:
- Leverage your profile by including your website and letting people know that your scroll features items for sale. Don’t assume people know that you have products available.
- Post quality pictures and videos that highlight your products.
- Show your products in action in your Stories.
- Offer discounts and giveaways.
- Partner with other Instagram vendors, influencers and marketers.
- Include a call to action on your posts.
What to watch out for when selling with Instagram
While Instagram is becoming a major force in e-commerce, it has its drawbacks:
- It’s time-intensive. Instagram can require strong photo and video skills. An understanding of lighting and presets can also be valuable, all of which takes time.
- Lack of demographic diversity. Instagram is more likely to reach those under 50. If you’re looking for an older audience, you may want to explore elsewhere to reach a larger base.
- No clickable links. At this time, Instagram doesn’t support clickable links.
- Potential limited exposure. Without some marketing, you’re relying solely on organic traffic.
- Ads can be pricey. Though Instagram doesn’t list its cost directly on the site, users have reported paying between $0.50 and $1 per click, and up to $3 in more competitive industries.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Finder cryptocurrency predictions report: October 2020
We asked 30 panellists for their cryptocurrency price predictions, the outlook for DeFi and how long they think high returns on yield farming might last.
Starting a business in Australia
Moving to Australia and looking to start a business? Here’s how to go about it.
Guarda Wallet – 2021 review
Learn more about the Guarda cryptocurrency wallet and find out how it works.
Binance vs Coinbase: Which is best for you?
Binance and Coinbase are two titans of cryptocurrency – let’s see how the two stack up and find out which suits your needs.
New Zealand student discounts May 2021: All the ways to save on clothes, tech and more
There are plenty of discounts up for grabs for Kiwi students. But how do you get access?
Online stores with free delivery and returns
Not many stores offer both free shipping and returns when you order online. Find out where to shop and learn more about how these processes work.
Binance Futures guide: How to trade BTC, ETH and more
Learn how to trade futures contracts on Binance with this visual step-by-step guide.
What is Yearn Finance?
Learn how to use DeFi aggregator Yearn Finance to earn interest on your cryptocurrency.
Best places to visit in Melbourne and its surrounds
Discover the top areas and best things to do in Melbourne to make your trip to this unique city unforgettable.
Bed Threads discount codes and coupons May 2021
There is no need to keep searching for your dream bedding. You’ve found it right here. Everything you need is at Bed Threads.
Ask an Expert