Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

Trade Me house and contents insurance review

Are you a Trade Me member? Get a 15% discount on your house and contents insurance premium.


Fact checked
Trade Me Insurance

Trade Me, New Zealand’s favourite online marketplace, has insurance policies tailored to protect your house and contents from unforeseen events. There are plenty of things to like about Trade Me insurance, from multi-policy discounts and member savings, to easy online processes through the My Insurance portal.

Trade Me’s policy documents are clear and easy to understand, without any fancy jargon. So if you’re a homeowner, landlord or renter after reliable, uncomplicated house and contents cover, you’ll find a policy to suit. This provider is backed by Tower, which has been assigned an Insurer Financial Strength Rating of A- (excellent).

Trade Me cover options

Trade Me has three separate policies for home, landlords and contents insurance.

House insurance

Name Product Cover to sum insured amount Legal Liability Temporary Accommodation Keys and Locks
Trade Me House Plus Insurance

Compare up to 4 providers

House Plus: Trade Me’s house insurance policy provides replacement cover for your house to the sum insured, along with some extra features.

What it covers:

  • Replacement to your sum insured
  • Full replacement for fire
  • Gradual damage
  • Natural disaster damage
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Keys and locks lost or stolen
  • Stress benefit lump sum payment

Optional cover is available for garden retaining walls and special features, such as tennis courts, sleepouts and swimming pools.

Contents insurance

Name Product Legal Liability Accidental Damage Jewellery and Watches Credit Card (Illegal Use)
Trade Me Contents Plus Insurance

Compare up to 4 providers

Contents Plus: Trade Me’s contents insurance protects your items from accidental loss or damage anywhere in New Zealand.

What it covers:

  • Personal effects
  • Household items
  • Outdoor items
  • Recreation and leisure equipment
  • Liability protection
  • Moving house
  • Accidental damage
  • Mobile phones
  • Glasses, hearing aids and dentures
  • Natural disaster damage
  • Contents in temporary storage
  • Spoiled frozen or refrigerated food
  • Keys and locks lost or stolen
  • Watercraft up to $1,500
  • Jewellery (including watches)
  • Children’s contents left at home
  • Gradual damage
  • Credit or debit card fraud
  • Home office equipment
  • Stress benefit lump sum

Landlord insurance

Landlord Plus: Trade Me’s specialist landlord insurance covers most of the same events as the House Plus policy, but with some added features:

  • Loss of rent for damage to your house
  • Loss of rent for other reasons
  • Methamphetamine decontamination
  • Deliberate damage
  • Landlord’s whiteware and window coverings

What does Trade Me not cover?

Trade Me house and contents insurance has a number of exclusions. This means that you won’t be covered for certain events if you experience damage or loss to either your house or contents. Be sure you read the policy document carefully before you purchase so you understand what you can and can’t claim for.

Some general exclusions include:

  • Floor coverings not permanently fixed or glued in place
  • Unsealed driveways and paths
  • Drapes and blinds
  • Temporary structures
  • Trees, shrubs, plants
  • Indoor pot plants
  • Animals of any kind
  • Computer software and electronic data
  • Artificial or transplanted body parts or aids
  • Aircraft or other airborne devices (there are exceptions)

How can I save on Trade Me house and contents insurance?

Trade Me offers a multi-policy discount if you take out two or more eligible insurance policies. Take out two policies and you’ll receive a 10% discount, take out three policies and you’ll save 20% on your premium. Eligible policies include:

  • House insurance
  • Landlord insurance
  • Contents insurance
  • Car insurance

Additional savings of 15% can be had if you’re a Trade Me member and you may get a lower house insurance premium if you live in a low-risk area. Opting for a higher excess can also help you save money, though consider carefully if you can afford to pay it when making a claim.

How do I make a Trade Me house or contents insurance claim?

After an event occurs, ensure the safety of everyone one involved and inform the police if necessary. Tell Trade Me as soon as possible after the event to start your claims process.

Making a claim is easy. Simply log in to your My Insurance account and complete a claims lodgement form. You may be asked to provide proof of ownership, receipts or warranties for any property claimed for.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Go to site