State logo

Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.

State house and contents insurance review

State provides different levels of insurance for homeowners, renters and landlords, and is the only insurer to offer Fly Buys.

Founded in 1905, State has been in the insurance business and assisting Kiwis for more than a century. It prides itself on its customer-focused service and its understanding of New Zealanders insurance needs. A branch of IAG New Zealand Ltd, State provides policies for over 400,000 individuals. IAG has been assigned an AA- or ‘very strong’ claims-paying ability.

State has a comprehensive range of insurance products. As well as home and contents, it can cater to your car, travel, business and specialised insurance needs, and is the only general insurance company where you can collect Fly Buys points.

Whether you are a homeowner, renter or landlord, read on to find out more about State’s house and contents policies.

State cover options

State has a range of policies, so whether you’re a house owner or a landlord, it has one to meet your needs. Homeowners can take out individual home insurance and contents insurance policies or opt for a pack which combines the two to receive a discount of up to 15%. You can collect Fly Buys points on all policies.

Name Product Cover to sum insured amount Legal Liability Temporary Accommodation Keys and Locks
State Comprehensive Home Insurance
State Home Essentials Insurance
Cover to present day value

Compare up to 4 providers

Home insurance

State has two types of insurers for homeowners that live in their home: Home Comprehensive and Home Essentials.

Home Comprehensive

Home Comprehensive cover provides cover for your home up to the sum you choose, plus some additional features.

What it covers:

  • The cost to completely rebuild your home, up to the sum insured
  • Accidental damage or loss
  • Temporary accommodation for family and pets up to a maximum of $20,000
  • Gradual water damage, for example, a leak from a hot water cylinder
  • A $1,000 stress payment if your home is destroyed, which you can spend how you choose
  • Replacement of locks and keys up to the value of $500
  • Legal liability cover up to $1,000,000
  • Intentional damage to your home by another person living in your property
  • Windows and some fixtures, for example, a toilet bowl
  • Singular valuable items up to a set amount

Home Essentials insurance

If you’re looking for insurance that will just cover the essentials, State’s Home Essentials policy provides basic cover for specified events.

What it covers:

  • Legal liability up to a sum of $1,000,000
  • Insurance for the current value of your house, up to the maximum specified sum
  • Accidental or sudden damage to your home
  • An intentional fire or explosion caused by another resident of your home
Name Product Legal Liability Accidental Damage Jewellery and Watches (Per Item) Credit Card (Illegal Use)
State Contents Comprehensive Insurance
State Contents Essentials Insurance

Compare up to 4 providers

Contents insurance

State offers two policy types for contents insurance: Contents Comprehensive and Contents Essentials.

Contents Comprehensive
With this extensive contents policy, State will repair or replace your belongings as new unless it is stipulated that an item is covered for ‘present value only’.

What it covers:

  • Accidental and unexpected damage to your house contents
  • Legal liability to the sum of $1,000,000
  • $20,000 to pay for alternate living accommodation if needed
  • Specific cases of concealed leaking water damage to contents
  • Valuable individual items up to a specified limit
  • If your contents are in storage, State covers them for specific damage
  • Either the replacement or repair of items
  • $7,500 for the contents of your home office

Contents Essentials

State’s Contents Essentials policy is a lower-cost option to protect your belongings in specific events. Your contents will be repaired, or State pays you the present value.

What it covers:

  • Particular events, for example, fire
  • Accidental and unexpected damage to your contents
  • Legal liability to the sum of $1,000,000
  • Valuable individual items up to a specified limit

It is important to cover your contents for the correct amount, just in case your home is destroyed, and you have to replace all your goods. If you do not have the right level of insurance, you may be unable to do so.

The sum insured is the amount your contents are insured for, including GST. While the Contents Essential policy only provides present value cover, you can use the calculator on the State website to work out the appropriate level of cover for the Contents Comprehensive policy.

Do note that some items such as jewellery have limits on the amount they can be covered for, but it is possible to specify high value items on your policy.

Home and contents packages

If you are needing home and contents insurance, State offers two packages.

  • HomePack Essentials. This package combines the Home Essentials and Contents Essentials policy for budget-friendly cover of your home and contents.
  • HomePack Comprehensive. This package provides more comprehensive cover for your home and contents by combining the Contents Comprehensive and Home Comprehensive benefits.

Both home and contents packages allow you to save up to 15% compared to taking out individual policies. Plus, having two policies combined means less paperwork and only one premium to pay.

Landlord insurance

State’s landlord insurance can provide reassurance when you are renting out your property to tenants.

What it covers:

  • Reinstating the condition of your property if it is subject to sudden, accidental damage or loss
  • Repairs to your garden up to the value of $2,500
  • Damage to the property contents, typically up to $10,000
  • Legal liability costs up to $1,000,000
  • Up to six weeks rent if your tenant legally withholds their rent
  • Intentional damage or vandalism, caused by a tenant or their guest
  • Up to 52 weeks rent if your rental property is not habitable
  • 12 weeks rent If you lose rent because you have to evict a tenant
  • Up to 6 weeks rent if a tenant leaves without giving notice

As a landlord, for loss of rent cover to apply, you must adhere to specific requirements:

  • Take reasonable care when choosing tenants
  • Collect a bond and rent in advance
  • Keep a written record of the checks carried out before a tenant moves in
  • Carry out internal and external inspections every three months
  • Keep written records and take photos
  • Monitor the rent each week

What exclusions does State have to its home and contents insurance policies?

You will not be covered in every situation that you want to make a claim for with your home and contents insurance policy. Please check the State insurance policy wording for the full description of exclusions, but some exclusions are:

  • Loss by flood, landslip or storm in the first 48 hours of taking out the policy
  • Confiscation, loss or damage of goods by government or local authority
  • Consequential losses, except for alternative accommodation or loss of rent
  • Damage, liability or loss due to erosion and subsidence or cracking etc.
  • Loss of electronic data
  • Mechanical and electrical appliances and any loss caused by electricity
  • Loss connected to structural additions, unless State has agreed to cover it
  • Loss or contamination, etc. caused by an unlawful substance
  • Damage caused by rodents, insects or other pests
  • Reckless or intentional damage
  • Faults, defects or gradual damage

There are specific instructions on what to do if your house is to be left vacant for more than 60 days, so please check your insurance policy.

How can I save on State house and contents insurance?

  • Take out two policies. If you have one policy with State, for example, home insurance and take out another policy like car insurance, you may qualify for a 10% multi-policy discount.
  • Take out a HomePack policy. By combining your home and contents insurance with HomePack Essentials or HomePack Comprehensive, you can save up to 15%.
  • Keep your policy for more than one year. If you keep your insurance with State for over a year, you may qualify for a ‘years of insurance’ discount.
  • Fit a burglar alarm. If the alarm is fitted professionally and meets States approval, you may receive a discount on your premium.
  • Choose a higher voluntary excess. A higher excess makes your premiums lower.
  • Select the right level of cover. Compare the difference between State’s Essentials and Comprehensive policies carefully. You may find that you don’t need the level of cover offered in Contents Comprehensive or Home Comprehensive and are able to save by taking out Contents Essentials or Home Essentials instead.

How do I make a State house or contents insurance claim?

If you need to make an insurance claim, you can log in to your My State account or call State on 0800 80 24 24. However, if you are claiming for both home and contents damage, State recommends that you do so over the phone.

You will need to provide State with the following information:

  • A description of the loss or damage
  • How the damage or loss occurred
  • When the damage occurred
  • The precautions you have taken to prevent any further damage

If there has been intentional damage or theft, call the police. You will be provided with an incident reference number that you need to give State when you are making a claim.

When claiming for contents, State will also need to know:

  • If you are paying any finance on the items you are claiming for
  • How old the items are
  • When and where you purchased the items

For faster claim processing, it is helpful if you can provide any serial numbers, valuations, photos or receipts for your contents.

Frequently asked questions

More guides on Finder

Go to site